How low do your speakers go?

Lost81

« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2004, 02:57 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Benny, I'm not trying to pick on you in any manner ( I apologize if it looks like I am). I'm just trying to say that low quality subs that just go boom are not just un-acceptable for "music" use. They're unacceptable period.

Ah!
No worries, bubba966!
I'm always game for edifying experiences  8)

Thanks for the clarification on subs.

Cheers,
-Lost81

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2004, 07:25 am »
My Vaf I-93's 3 ways driven by Aksa 100n monoblocks have usable bass (-3db)down to 17hz,i.e. who needs a sub. You feel it in your chest rather than hear it and is evident in a reverberation on bass drums etc. See specs at

vaf.com.au

dogears

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2004, 01:25 pm »
rhythm willie, that's one awesome pair you've got there!  :D

muralman1

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2004, 07:50 pm »
My Apogee Scintillas flatline down to 16 hz powered by my H2O monos.  That is full range.  :D

Greg Erskine

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2004, 09:24 pm »
heh Rhythm Willie,

Have you been privy to information about the new DC-X GenIVs, especially bi-amping potential. The I-93s are out of my price range.

BTW: the link needs a www for some reason.

Thanks
Greg

fos

g'day Rhythm Willie
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:56 pm »
do your Vaf's suit a particular style of music? i have been auditioning speakers, and need a speaker that will get up and rock when required but also has finese enough to handle wind instruments.

does vaf have an auditioning room in adelaide?

diana doherty's souvenirs has some nice deeeeep pipe organ with her oboe which should 'feel' great on the vafs.

oorroo

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2004, 04:45 am »
Greg, Re New DCX's

I have seen the cabinet stucture inside & out - each bass/mid driver has it's own enclosure(quite unusual angular panels inside the cabinet).
Even more unusual is the fact it has 2 tweeters, one angled in & one angled out i.e. it should have a broader sweet spot.

I believe all drivers & natural crossover points are different from the old model i.e. the whole project still has the main goal of getting rid of the need for a electronic crossover. Design/selection of drivers,design of the enclosure.felt treatment etc  all have a role to play in this.

Hope to listen to a "live" model soon.

Beware though - due to suspended ceilings etc in Vaf's showrooms - all their speakers usualy sound much better when brought into a home environment.

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2004, 04:53 am »
Fos,

I-93's are awsome on organ music & I hav'nt heard cellos or bass drums sound better.

I think however their main strength is in the mid range, superb vocals and instruments.

I listen to quite a bit of rock,blues & jazz. Some of Mark Knopflers well recorded (basswise) tracks with loudish guitar solos sound great.

They are however a bass reflex design. Some people prefer a sealed box enclosure as being "quicker" for rock music, but you'v got to go to something like a Duntech Sovereign to get the best of both worlds i.e. go low as well as extremely "tight". Talking big bucks(probably 3X) the cost of I-93's to impove much in that area. Now back to Aksa discussion.

KevRo

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2004, 05:46 am »
Greg, RE New DC-X

If you go to the vaf website they have some new info on the new generation DC-X, it is a PDF file on the front page and has quite a comprehensive listing of all the measurements and design features.  It sounds very good from the info they present, but of course don't they always  :) .  It does seem to be alot more substantial than most PR brochures however.  Here's the link:

http://www.vaf.com.au/catalog/products/pdfs/DC-X%20GenIV%20Article.pdf

Kev

Greg Erskine

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2004, 06:05 am »
Rhythm Willie and KevRo,

Thanks for the info.