How do you get them home?

capwkidd

Re: How do you get them home?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:04 pm »
No Picture with box inside, but I still have the same car and the Magnepan shipping box. The box was on a EU-pallet, 2 m long and it had to be cut.

Avfew hours later. Here is a picture of my 3.6 in my car, http://www.forumbilder.se/CF7J9/magnepan-in-car.jpg .

Wow, it's as if your car was MADE to haul that box, it fits perfectly :)! Is that box for 1 3.6, or 2?

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:57 am »
Wow, it's as if your car was MADE to haul that box, it fits perfectly :)! Is that box for 1 3.6, or 2?

The two 3.6 goes into one single box, 74"x27"x5". 

capwkidd

« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2013, 02:16 pm »
Good info... I was just trying to figure out how to get home some planar speakers when I buy them.... The ones I intend to get will be used with no boxes.... looks like big bubble wrap wrapped around them, and lay them down in the back of a van should work.... unless I can finad a station wagon that can take an 80" long load....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:48 pm »
I'd wrap them separately in 3 mil plastic, then wrap them in cardboard or quilts, and wrap shipping tape tightly around all that.  Much better to wrap them tight to each other so they don't move apart.  Try to emulate the original pack as much as possible.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:28 pm »
Good info... I was just trying to figure out how to get home some planar speakers when I buy them.... The ones I intend to get will be used with no boxes.... looks like big bubble wrap wrapped around them, and lay them down in the back of a van should work.... unless I can finad a station wagon that can take an 80" long load....

I think there is a risk of damage to the front cloth if you just use bubble wrap. My 3.6 came with a 1" thick sheet of polystyrene between the two speakers. The backs of the speakers are less sensitive to pressure and the cloth there is not that delicate as on the front sides.

avta

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:36 pm »
Why not contact Magnepan. I'm sure they have dealt with all sorts of situations like yours.

*Scotty*

« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:49 pm »
I would start by getting them wrapped in plastic and about the easiest way to do this is use giant lawn and leaf bags,55gal trash bags or contractor clean up bags, which ever will fit, one from the top and one from the bottom, tape together in the middle assuming the bags overlap one another.   
 Then 1 inch styrofoam bead-board between the speakers and one sheet on either side making a sandwich, once again tapping the entire thing together. You might want to oversize the styrofoam bead-board sheets by 1inch on all sides to prevent damage to the edges of the speakers. This should see you home free, of damage that is.
Scotty

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 29 Aug 2013, 06:38 pm »
+1!  :thumb:

capwkidd

« Reply #28 on: 29 Aug 2013, 07:28 pm »
I think there is a risk of damage to the front cloth if you just use bubble wrap. My 3.6 came with a 1" thick sheet of polystyrene between the two speakers. The backs of the speakers are less sensitive to pressure and the cloth there is not that delicate as on the front sides.

Hmm.... I would assume, as long as the bubble wrap is tight, it won't rub on the fabric, but I'll keep this in mind, thanks...

capwkidd

« Reply #29 on: 29 Aug 2013, 07:30 pm »
Why not contact Magnepan. I'm sure they have dealt with all sorts of situations like yours.

They are Soundlabs, not Magnepan :), but I did call soundlab and they said the panels are very robust.... And they suggested the bubble wrap...

Thanks

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 29 Aug 2013, 08:38 pm »
Ahhh, that's a horse of a different color!   :lol:

I moved SoundLabs in a rental van, side-by-side, surrounded by cardboard boxes to keep them shifting tin the vehicle.  Worked well.

capwkidd

« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2013, 03:30 am »
Ahhh, that's a horse of a different color!   :lol:

I moved SoundLabs in a rental van, side-by-side, surrounded by cardboard boxes to keep them shifting tin the vehicle.  Worked well.

Side by side? On their edges? PX panels? Got pics :)?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 1 Sep 2013, 08:42 pm »
capwkidd,
Did you buy them er whut?

capwkidd

« Reply #33 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:15 pm »
capwkidd,
Did you buy them er whut?

Still need to save up a little more $.....

Wish I could find some used Soundlab M3's with PX panel for like $3k!

They are $13k new, so, they probably loose value quickly, since the 1's are the most popular....
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2013, 02:11 am by capwkidd »

SubieDriver

« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2013, 04:23 pm »
Mine were easy.  I have a Subaru Tribeca.  With the middle and rear seats folded, my 0.5s easily fit.  I could have upgraded to 1.7s and not had a problem.

/mp

« Reply #35 on: 29 Sep 2013, 04:10 pm »
I only have a Mini cooper, so, not planar friendly, even MMG's would be a challenge!  :lol:

LoL

No, it's not.

/mp