Melody Pure Black 101 Preamp & M845 Monoblock Amplifier Review

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Melody Pure Black 101 Preamp & M845 Monoblock Amplifier Review
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2013, 07:34 pm »
Shahed,

Please give me some of your favorite titles so I can experience those myself.
I'd never had any exposures to the new rock music until recently when one of our dealers, Tim Evans, introduced me to Daft Punk. :)

Thanks,

shahed

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2013, 07:45 pm »
Hugh, I'll PM you some. Btw, the new Daft Punk album is one of the best critically acclaimed album of this year so far. Its surprisingly well recorded. There's also a 24/96 version available from HDTracks, but I've not tried it.

P.S: Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler aficionados can start listening to 'The National'. I'd wager 9 out of 10 Mark Knopfler/D.S/Baritone voice fan will love 'The National'.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2013, 03:18 am »
The version of Random Access Memories we've been playing at shows is actually a vinyl rip.  I haven't heard the HDtracks version, but I suspect it would be very similar.  Hugh's tastes are a little more "old school" (Har!) than mine, but I'm starting to infect him. ;)

At RMAF I'll certainly have a bit of classic rock and electronic music available to demo.  Newer rock is a little tougher since it's so rarely well recorded, but there are a few decent albums out there.  My Radiohead collection is lacking.  Maybe I'll acquire some before October...

As an aside, my feeling has been that the AN300B is the best of the Melody integrateds for rock.  It's the one I use at home.

wndrmke

« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2013, 03:34 am »
Tim,

I'll take care of Radiohead.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2013, 04:12 pm »
Tim,

I'll take care of Radiohead.

:thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
So I promised an update after visiting my good buddy Terry London (aka Teajay).   

Does the Melody 300B integrated play Radiohead?  YES!  We played Amnesiac and two great things happened...Teajay actually liked it for what it was, and the Melody 300B integrated/Lawrence Audio Cello combination played it to great levels, with good dynamics, bass control and overall impact.  The combination of tone and texture in this album was presented in all its glory.  (Note: we also listened to plenty of other non-jazz material, and all was presented beautifully. )

Teajay had added two ingredients that clearly made a difference.  I need to give shouts out to two isolation rack manufacturers that are under the radar, one who I know very very well, and one who is new to me.  Terry had his Cellos on Robert Maicks' new mid-priced Sistrum speaker platforms, and the result was a big step forward in soundstage solidity.  (I am a huge Sistrum fan and owner).  Also, a new company from Canada, Krolo Design, hheaded by Mirko Krolo.  Mirko had sent Terry their top-tier rack for evaluation.  The Tomo is a gorgeous piece that uses what seems to be a similar isolation philosophy to Sistum (IOW, bleed off vibration to ground).  Whatever it is doing, it is doing it extremely well, and I've never heard Teajay's system sound better.

Here are links to those pieces, appropriate here cuz they clearly work with Melody tubed gear.

http://www.starsoundaudio.com/SistrumApprentice.php

http://www.krolodesign.com/?page_id=332

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
Wow, that Krolo rack is great looking too.  Thanks for sharing!

Gopher

Awesome to hear on the Melody AN300B.  I actually had my M845s sitting on top of Sistrum Apprentice stands for my review and I have another pair of SP-101s in a box waiting for me to move in October...   I am planning on putting those under my speakers.

That Krolo rack looks interesting.  Dare I ask retail?

shahed

Thanks Ted for posting the non-jazz and Radiohead listening impression of Melody 300B integrated. This is very encouraging. :D Which isolation platform was used underneath the Melody in Terry's system? The 2 pairs of 300B tube is a bit expensive to maintain. But I hear 300B tubes last longer. When I've some fund for amp shopping, I'd definitely keep the Melody in mind. I wish Melody had more push pull integrated amp options apart from 300B.

Fred, It looks like Krolo rack starts from 3300$. Sistrum apprentice seems a good value.

Gopher

Shahed,

Melody makes a lot of push pull amplifiers.  I owned an MK88 which was stupid good for the money which was based on the KT88 tube, but there are other KT88s, 2a3--even a push pull (or is it PSET) 845.

The Apprentice is a good value indeed.  You should try one under your tricked out LampizatOr, there is a money back guarantee on them and Robert is great to chat with.

shahed

I thought the higher end lines of Melody integrated except the AN 300B are SET ( AN211 Mk2, AN845 ). Or are they push pull? I see 2 power tubes in them. And thanks for recommending the apprentice. Btw, my lampizator improved quite a bit after installing some NOS tubes. It's awesome!

Gopher

That is mostly correct then, yes.  The AN300 is the only push pull in the Auduxn line imported in the US.  If you do some diggjn you'll find pics about other offerings but I don't think Hugh brings them in.

Great to hear on your Lampi.   Like Melody and Zu it is a company I will stick with.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Thanks Ted for posting the non-jazz and Radiohead listening impression of Melody 300B integrated. This is very encouraging. :D Which isolation platform was used underneath the Melody in Terry's system? The 2 pairs of 300B tube is a bit expensive to maintain. But I hear 300B tubes last longer. When I've some fund for amp shopping, I'd definitely keep the Melody in mind. I wish Melody had more push pull integrated amp options apart from 300B.

Fred, It looks like Krolo rack starts from 3300$. Sistrum apprentice seems a good value.

Teajay's system (MBL transport, Concert Fidelity DAC, Melody AN300B) is on the Krolo.  His Running Springs conditioner sits on a Krolo amp stand, The Cellos sit on the Sistrum Apprentice stands.  The Krolo Tomo that Teajay is evaluating is the top of the line, with all the options.  It tops out at $8k list, but the average rack is quite a bit less.

Gopher

« Reply #33 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:12 am »
I just noticed the very first used Melody PB-101 and pair of M845s ever to come up on Audiogon.  Mine will likely be in my rig for a LONG time, but someone needs to jump on those used pieces and report back to this thread. 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings?seller_id=174959&show_media=true

Discounts from retail pricing are RARE!

morganc

« Reply #34 on: 22 Nov 2013, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Gopher.  The Melody Pre sold quickly and now i am missing her, but the monoblocks remain for sale.  If anyone is interested please PM me.  I am just a few $$$ shy of my goal for my home, and I wold love to find a great home for these sexy and powerful beasts:-).

diz1

« Reply #35 on: 23 Nov 2013, 06:56 pm »
Hi
is MELODY 211 is the same as  AODIXUN 211?

what about comparing MELODY 211  with LAmpizator 211Amplifier

justthinking

« Reply #36 on: 21 Mar 2015, 04:58 am »
Has anyone compare the new Melody Preapm to the old P1688 lineup?? I kept reading wonderful things about various version of the P1688 but they appear to be very rare here in the States?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:20 pm »
The PB101 is the latest version of the old P1688 and they are not rare at all in The US.

As a matter of fact, to date, we have sold more than 100 units. :)

Thanks,
Has anyone compare the new Melody Preapm to the old P1688 lineup?? I kept reading wonderful things about various version of the P1688 but they appear to be very rare here in the States?