Speakers for musical enjoyment

mcgsxr

Re: Speakers for musical enjoyment
« Reply #40 on: 23 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm »
Good guess, but they are the next step up the Totem floor stander lineup, the Sttaf.

More laid back than the 20's as expected, and a little more soul for sure.  I may look to pick up an integrated and use the 2 systems in the same room, but running totally separate. 

I have heard the Dreamcatchers and they are nice for sure.  Smaller rooms would be great with them and with any of the Totem subs they are a surprise for 2 channel.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #41 on: 23 Aug 2014, 03:10 pm »
Good speaker also - but then the Mite Center + Mite bookshelves are the correct matching HT components as I'm sure you know. 

The smaller Totem columns + bookshelves ARE surprisingly good w/ a tight sub such as from REL / MJ Acoustics though Totem has some as well.  I wasn't so thrilled w/ the Totem Storm, but the Kin or pricey Tribe might be a lot better. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #42 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:05 pm »
Yeah, I know the right combo would be as you state.

My HT setup uses the 3 Paradigm Cinema 330's wall mounted.  The Sttaf run purely 2 channel. 

Only the room (ok and the listening chair!) is shared.

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 25 Aug 2014, 09:58 pm »
For those interested, I posted a review of the Sttaf and the synergy I found with the 2 amps I tried with it.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128350.msg1354682#new

mcgsxr

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jan 2019, 07:13 pm »
Been a while, but I am back at it again.

In the past 4 years or so I built up some DIY active speakers and enjoyed that for a while.

Then I sought to simplify when an old Sugden integrated showed up locally.  I pined for my long lost friend (Sugden A28B from 1994) and traded a power amp for the still pretty old Sugden Optima 140.

Paired with a set of Acoustic Energy Aegis Two (have to be from the late 90's or so) and the music is quite nice.

Not audiophile fantastic, but engaging and smooth and I am liking it.

I am saving for a set of Totem Arro, but for now these will do it for sure.

wushuliu

• “Forget it, Jake. It’s Internet-town.”
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:19 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly. I can't think of anyone who doesn't respect Jeff Bagby's designs. Easily a $4-5k speaker at 1/5 the cost. The woofers alone cost $250 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708

quamman

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:09 am »
I have always been curious as to how well Parts Express's tower speakers kits sound . So far I have only built a set of the Ultimax 18's with flat packs . Other than the initial miss-cut on the finish baffles I have been very satisfied with their performance .

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #47 on: 28 Jan 2019, 09:45 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly. I can't think of anyone who doesn't respect Jeff Bagby's designs. Easily a $4-5k speaker at 1/5 the cost. The woofers alone cost $250 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708

Indeed, Jeff Bagby knows his stuff. Those Morel drivers are very well regarded and top of the line for hifi drivers.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that industry veteran Richard Modafferi has built it and modified his version with his infinity crossover slope (which Joseph Audio licenses from him).

I think if you are after a typical 2 way MLTL, this speaker might be a contender...

It's 4 ohm nominal and 87dB efficient, but with a 100 watts, you can probably make it boogie.

Best,
Anand.

srb

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:37 am »
Just throwing this out there since you mentioned DIY: comes with everything. Just needs assembly.

Any recommendation for a DIY kit along those lines - high quality drivers + pre-cut cabinets (most likely single-woofer stand-mount) - that might better fit into the Cheap & Cheerful HiFi category?

OzarkTom

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm »
Does anybody make ampified single alnico speakers yet? That should be C&C priced and sound great.

wushuliu

• “Forget it, Jake. It’s Internet-town.”
« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:45 pm »
Any recommendation for a DIY kit along those lines - high quality drivers + pre-cut cabinets (most likely single-woofer stand-mount) - that might better fit into the Cheap & Cheerful HiFi category?

Nothing that can't be equalled by retail under 1k. Andrew Jones really changed the market. Hard to beat a UB500 for $500 (definitely not the $375 sale price this winter). I would have said the CSS Satori speaker flat pack kit but I'm not sure they still offer it. THAT is a steal and a half. Maybe they have some left.

FireGuy

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:00 pm »
No kit needed.  Axiom Audio and Ascend Acoustics match or better anything kit IMO.  Below the $500 threshold.

mcgsxr

« Reply #52 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:12 pm »
I found a set of Paradigm Studio Reference 20's - the V4's this time and local to me.

Could not pass them up at the price, and they were literally a mile from my house.

Early impressions are that the Sugden and the Paradigms will compliment nicely.  Not a TON of bass from these largish stand mounts, but exactly the mids and top end I was looking for.

I guess I like it bright, based on the list of speakers I have really liked, and those that I sold relatively quickly.