Bang&Olufsen Beogram 1700 Advice

3rdphoto

Bang&Olufsen Beogram 1700 Advice
« on: 5 Aug 2013, 01:59 pm »
Hello,

My grandfather passed away and while clearing out his house under his stairs in the storage area I found a Bang&Olufsen Beogram 1700. This item has never been used. I have the original box the unit is still in the original packaging. Also in the box was the owners manual, safety instructions, and the MMC 20 EN Cartridge test certificate as well as the warranty information. The slip with the warranty information has a sticker with the serial number which matches the serial number on the box so I know this is all original. My question is, Is this a good product? I am not a vinyl person and there were no LPs at my grandfathers house so I don't think he was either. What would be a fair price for something in this condition as I have no idea where to begin I ask the community for assistance. If this is not the place for this type of post please move to the correct location. Thank you for any assistance.

jimdgoulding

Re: Bang&Olufsen Beogram 1700 Advice
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2013, 03:21 pm »
It is a one of a kind product.  The platter and arm base are spring sprung for isolation from outside vibration.  The sound, with B&O speakers, at lease, is warm and rich, more dynamic than anyone might think, and very satisfying.  I think there is one in The Smithsonian because of it's design.  Maybe you oughta buy some records and see what you think of having it in your system before you do anything else.

orthobiz

Re: Bang&Olufsen Beogram 1700 Advice
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm »
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, pictures are always a good idea to add to the post.

A colleague gave me one of these last year. The spring loaded dustcover was not working and I was able to reassemble it (no easy task, by the way).

The cartridge had one channel that was nonfunctioning. I bought a cartridge from SoundSmith for 200 dollars and my daughter is spinning vinyl happily. Cartridges have suspensions and they do not always age well! So just because yours is unused in the box doesn't mean it works. Kinda like a car that hasn't been driven in 10 years...

When I looked into buying this particular turntable at the time, working models went for less than 200 on eBay, which turned out in my case to be the cost of cartridge.

So, my advice may sound harsh: set it up, test it, and give it to someone you care about. Otherwise, say that you don't know if it works or not and see what eBay brings.

Paul