When the neighborhood power cuts off, what happens?

charmerci

When the neighborhood power cuts off, what happens?
« on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:15 am »
Recently, we had a thunderstorm. There was a lightning strike somewhere and the power in the neighborhood cut off just for a number of seconds.

So what happens?

How come the power was off for only a few seconds?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Re: Power cuts off. What happens?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:18 am »
I don't get it!

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:23 am »
This is what I imagine.

Lightning strikes a telephone pole which sends a surge to a local relay station which shuts down to protect the rest of the grid and then after a few seconds automatically resets the system and sends electricity back into the system.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Re: When the neighborhood power cuts off, what happens?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2013, 06:17 am »
Now I do get it.

BobRex

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2013, 12:52 pm »
This is what I imagine.

Lightning strikes a telephone pole which sends a surge to a local relay station which shuts down to protect the rest of the grid and then after a few seconds automatically resets the system and sends electricity back into the system.

That's one possibility, and the most likely, but it's also possible that the substation took a hit and the lines were re-routed.  That typically takes more than a few seconds to accomplish, but I've seen it done.  (Used to work for a utility)

westom

Re: When the neighborhood power cuts off, what happens?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2013, 03:16 pm »
  Disconnect is performed by a reclosure.  A box, typically on the pole, that disconnects local distribution.  And that can change where your power comes from.

Lightning created a temporary short circuit.  A short circuit remains unless power is removed.  So the reclosure disconnects AC mains.  Let's a lightning created short circuit dissipate.  Then connects power again.  This may happen up to three times.  After that, the reclosure decides that short is hard.  And remains disconnected.