Why 4K TV is Stupid

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Re: Why 4K TV is Stupid
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2013, 04:53 am »

Dam. My only TV is my 31 year old 27" Sony Trintron CRT, no blueray either  :o

Are you running Windows 95? 
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013, 10:42 pm by North Star »

mkaiser

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2013, 07:37 pm »
While it's still early days, the prior comments were slightly misleading, and the last statement seemingly false. 4K is just getting out of the gates, and with all the investment Sony & others are putting into it, wider implementation is not that far down the road.  E.g. 4K mastering movies by re-scanning negatives in 4K, shooting popular series in 4K (e.g. breaking bad), etc.

Yes - most digital movie theater projectors are still 2K - though the upgrade to 4K is in progress (e.g at AMC).  Now whether for those theaters that have done the 4K upgrade are getting their digital movies @ 4K : don't know.  But presumably it can't be that far off.

As for people claiming to have seen 4K material not having seem it as it doesn't exist.........any Magnolia Design Center has 84" Sony 4K sets connected to 4K media servers displaying 4K native demos.  Yes, in some cases they'll put spiderman or whatever that are "mastered for 4K", but other demo material, the short clips that are often playing, should be 4K native.  So not a very high bar for folks who want to see it : MDC's are not @ all BB's, but finding a BB that has an MDC reasonably close should not be that difficult.

Not sure you can say my comments are misleading and/or false, by reading your comments about mine they all seem to support what I was saying in one way or the other.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2013, 04:05 am »
They do support yours to some degree, but clarifies that there is native 4K content out there - albeit not much - and a lot more very close on the horizon.  More importantly though you seemed to suggest no one had actually seen native 4K native content, implying that people where therefore making false claims, whereas I was pointing out that anyone could see it fairly easily by going to the higher end best buy's and watching the short video demos.  Nitpicking a bit here, but I think it's important for folks to realize that's it not too difficult to see the real thing & decide for themselves.

Marius

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2013, 08:46 pm »
Hi James,

Interesting as the article/subject may be, I can't stop wondering why you'd post it on the Bryston forum. Bryston explicitly carved out any video of its SP3 processors because of the volatility of specifications. Is there any change in your view and consequently for your plans for future products we could be looking forward to?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2013, 12:50 am »
Hi James,

Interesting as the article/subject may be, I can't stop wondering why you'd post it on the Bryston forum. Bryston explicitly carved out any video of its SP3 processors because of the volatility of specifications. Is there any change in your view and consequently for your plans for future products we could be looking forward to?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

No hidden agenda - I just enjoy intelligent discussion of all things audio/video.

james

North Star

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:42 am »
Hi James (Bob here); sorry for the short interlude, but what are your favorite audio/video forums, outside of AudioCircle of course? 

mrhyfy

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:22 am »
Hi James,

Cheers,
Marius

+1....I wondered too  :?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:42 am »
I enjoy "The Outer Limits" in black and white on 19" portable on rusted steel stand with white plastic swivel wheels and "brass" plating most of  which is gone...the stand has dividers for vinyl LP records, where I store The Mill Bros. Yellow Bird and Martin Denny's Quiet Village.  One of the wheels is missing my dog who died in '57 buried it in my grand pas back yard.  That's NINETEEN 57, not eighteen. 

Screw that darn VHS.  Sony Beatmax rocks (sp?).  My Beatmax is old style really to real.  Finally the Japanese building good stuff.  So's my lemon chiffon Toyota Corona.  Radiator cap missing but not necessary.       

I replaced the busted rabbit ears with old clothes hangers back when they were made from steel. 

North Star

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:07 am »
I enjoy "The Outer Limits" in black and white on 19" portable on rusted steel stand with white plastic swivel wheels and "brass" plating most of  which is gone...the stand has dividers for vinyl LP records, where I store The Mill Bros. Yellow Bird and Martin Denny's Quiet Village.  One of the wheels is missing my dog who died in '57 buried it in my grand pas back yard.  That's NINETEEN 57, not eighteen. 

Screw those darn laser discs.  I still love VHS, good enough for me. 

I replaced the busted rabbit ears with old clothes hangers back when they were made from steel.

----  :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:36 am »
Hi James (Bob here); sorry for the short interlude, but what are your favorite audio/video forums, outside of AudioCircle of course?

http://www.avsforum.com/

http://forums.audioreview.com/forum.php

http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php

North Star

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:44 am »
Thx James! ...No AudioAficionado?  :wink:

Should I try that one as well?

james

North Star

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:35 am »
Should I try that one as well?

james

AA? ...You are already there my friend.  :D  ... * You and I had a few great exchanges (LordoftheRingsEE).  :wink: ...With Bryston SSP (dedicated thread), and speakers too. ...And more.

...And you have the exact same thread going on over there as well: Why 4K TV is Stupid.

kbuzz3

« Reply #33 on: 31 Jul 2013, 02:44 pm »
While its been said before its worth repeating.   Without definitive timetablesn and real commitments for content  the whole 4k thing is ridiculous

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jul 2013, 03:42 pm »
Is home 3d dead meat? 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jul 2013, 07:29 pm »

...you are on AudioShark as well, James :green:

al.

LOL  :duh:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 31 Jul 2013, 07:30 pm »
Is home 3d dead meat?

It sure seems that way until the glasses are not needed :scratch:

James

North Star

« Reply #38 on: 31 Jul 2013, 07:42 pm »
That'll be the day!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #39 on: 31 Jul 2013, 07:42 pm »
LOL  :duh:

...and hey, James - we know almost everything about you and your sins when you were a youngster :lol: 8)

al.