Power ON or OFF?

Indiansprings

Re: Power ON or OFF?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jul 2013, 01:53 am »
Mine run 24-7  8)

ricardojoa

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jul 2013, 06:59 am »
Sound like 7 eleven is where it should go. Cant go wrong with the manual recommendations. Does anyone know the idle consumption rate?

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2013, 02:18 pm »
Anyone who reads the product description on the Odyssey web site knows the power consumption at idle figure.

It is plainly posted.

ricardojoa

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jul 2013, 03:12 pm »
Dam i visited that site so many times and i did not notice that.  :duh: :duh:
Thank you.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jul 2013, 06:17 pm »
If there's anything like 1000h@85C electrolytic capacitors inside there, expect a full recap job in 3 years or so.

Electrolytic (high voltage) caps have two specs for "shelf life:"
"Dry" not charged
"Wet" charged

Without exception the latter always has longer shelf life vs. the former.  Unless the increased utility bill over time exceeds recapping cost, leave on 24/7 seems most appropriate.  If it's a Class A power amp with switch to select "AB" or "Standby," select "AB" or "Standby" for extended non-use period.   

If you are not home overnight or extended period to monitor weather, unplug in case of lightning.

Tubes have separate problem of balancing re-tube cost vs. re-cap cost.   
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2013, 03:10 pm by James Romeyn »

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2013, 08:29 am »
All correct notes,  wet/dry, 85/105 degrees, etc.

Here are my observations,  and of course, some subjective observations may vary:

1. the caps are indeed 105's
2. Hours rating on these ??? What I do tell customers and recommend is a re-capping of every 7-10 years, which, obviously, can vary wildly as far as hours p[layed are concerned....yet,  I'll do this pretty much close at cost, starting at $ 50. with a free complete tune-up included !!!!!
3. As for break-in,  man, I'd be soooo happy if that wouldn't be the case.  Kind of awkward to say hey, congrats to your new amp, guess what,  it'll be months for it to sound best....BUT  it is true, and I have to be upfront about it...just me,  have to.
4.  Rule of thumb,  every single component, solder joint,  etc. would need at least 200 hours to fully break in.....not scientific,  just earific.
5.  Yes,  absolutely,  leave the suckers on.   I'd do that with every single component, except some tubes, obviously, and unless the manufacturer specifically tells you not to do so, obviouslier.....
6.  Consumption is very low on leaving the amps on,  figure appr. $ 3-5  / month, depending on where you live.

That's just my take of it, based on a couple of hours of my own experience....

Late,
Klaus

jMelvin

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jul 2013, 11:01 am »
Thanks Klaus!

Well guys, that seems pretty definitive. Cheers.

lazydays

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jul 2013, 04:49 pm »
All correct notes,  wet/dry, 85/105 degrees, etc.

Here are my observations,  and of course, some subjective observations may vary:

1. the caps are indeed 105's
2. Hours rating on these ??? What I do tell customers and recommend is a re-capping of every 7-10 years, which, obviously, can vary wildly as far as hours p[layed are concerned....yet,  I'll do this pretty much close at cost, starting at $ 50. with a free complete tune-up included !!!!!
3. As for break-in,  man, I'd be soooo happy if that wouldn't be the case.  Kind of awkward to say hey, congrats to your new amp, guess what,  it'll be months for it to sound best....BUT  it is true, and I have to be upfront about it...just me,  have to.
4.  Rule of thumb,  every single component, solder joint,  etc. would need at least 200 hours to fully break in.....not scientific,  just earific.
5.  Yes,  absolutely,  leave the suckers on.   I'd do that with every single component, except some tubes, obviously, and unless the manufacturer specifically tells you not to do so, obviouslier.....
6.  Consumption is very low on leaving the amps on,  figure appr. $ 3-5  / month, depending on where you live.

That's just my take of it, based on a couple of hours of my own experience....

Late,
Klaus

so your telling me that I need to get my sons down here to man handle those two beasts out front to have to recap them? <GGG!!!> I honestly can't hear any difference in the sound yet. But it sounds like you guys are going to be busy with that Candella rebuild we've talked about and the recap. (maybe then we can get the LED brightness equalized [I ain't sticking my fingers in there!]).

I listen to a lot (actually mostly) acoustic jazz, and I'm very picky on the sound and image quality. Yet I couldn't care less about how loud it plays. I want to hear Marc Johnson's finger nails ripping into the wood on the neck of his upright bass! But I'm also a sucker for liquidity in the flow of the music. So this leads to why I said it takes 400 hours of time to get the best sound. You start noticing things like a guitar pick being dropped after a hundred fifty hours and around two hundred hours you suddenly discover that the baffles of a certain tenor sax sound different than they did a month ago. Around three hundred hours the shimmer from the brass is different, and seems to flow across the room much lighter. At the four hundred hour mark the baffles are yet sounding a little more differently than they did a few weeks prior. The bass drum will seem to be tighter with less rumble to it, and you will notice that the snares on the snare drum rattle a lot more than you've ever noticed before. But then you think that's not right (I did anyway), so I went right to the stage and listened very closely. They do rattle! (Dick Dickenson even told me, and I didn't believe him as well). And all this is leading me into another new adventure which you'll hear bits and pieces about in the future.
gary