Was up with modern art?

ltr317

Re: Was up with modern art?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:37 pm »
I find good new music too. But not often by going to live shows. Also often the idea of good these days relates to tolerable, and not necessarily a genre or anything I'm interested in.

You want proof? Ok lets go see a bunch of local bands. Last night a band was playing at my friend's half-way making a movie celebration and the PA thing was so distorted it hurt my ears, and it wasn't even cranked up! One of the guitar players is nothing but a drunk so he is usually boring. Young people are literally afraid of being good. Then the electronic crowd is often a bit lack luster given inebriated crowds they cater too. Part of the deal is there is more music being made than ever these days. If there was less but we kept the good stuff it wouldn't look so bad.

My experience has been totally different than yours.  Living in NYC, I attend dozens of concerts every year, ranging from folk to alt-country to pop to hard rock to jazz to chamber to symphonic and the vast majority is quite good, in terms of performance and sound quality.  In the past decade, I've discovered dozens of musicians/groups that I would have never heard on the radio.  But your sample and my sample is too small to determine proof. 

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:51 pm »
Some people like low quality music too.

NYC I'm sure has lots of bigger named gigs play too.

geowak

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm »
Well what do we know about Modern visual art? I mean maybe we should keep it to music or maybe we are not all that open minded about any kind of modern art. Mapplethorpe, Christo, Serrano, Picasso, Modrian....how many out there understand and/or except that art?

I think it's all out there, are we receptive to it?

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:23 am »
You're putting words in my mouth, and you didn't get my message. 

I got the point - that's specifically why I said "If people want to like....."  I didn't use "you" in my sentences.

I don't know what your experience is or what new music you think is good. I was keeping it on general terms.  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:39 am »
I find good new music too. But not often by going to live shows. Also often the idea of good these days relates to tolerable, and not necessarily a genre or anything I'm interested in.

You want proof? Ok lets go see a bunch of local bands. Last night a band was playing at my friend's half-way making a movie celebration and the PA thing was so distorted it hurt my ears, and it wasn't even cranked up! One of the guitar players is nothing but a drunk so he is usually boring. Young people are literally afraid of being good. Then the electronic crowd is often a bit lack luster given inebriated crowds they cater too. Part of the deal is there is more music being made than ever these days. If there was less but we kept the good stuff it wouldn't look so bad.

Your proof is that the band at your friends place last night sucked?

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:48 am »
Some people like low quality music too.

NYC I'm sure has lots of bigger named gigs play too.

What's the point of music? If someone likes it is it low quality to them? Is your judgment of quality the end all be all? I have seen a kit of shitty bands but I try not to ruin other people's enjoyment.
Do bigger names mean quality?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2013, 01:08 am »
Sorry, the complaint that no good music now is just sour grapes and means that you are getting old.
I would not care if someone made a statement that they enjoy pre 1990's music.. No problem. To go beyond that are start in that nothing worthwhile is being done now? no. that is just being too old. LOL.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:17 am »

I like side one of this a hellofa lot, listening to it now.  Recorded at Ralph Karsten's Atma-Sphere studio which if memory serves manufactured high end amps.  That means it's home grown good sound.  Damn, 1980, but who can tell.  Part of my personal problem is eclectic tastes.  Just happened as I got older and exposed to different forms of music.  Still listening and trying to happen on to an occasion.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:25 am »
I'm finding lots of new music I like...really and truly.  It just takes a little hunting around. I think that Amazon sells me a lot of mp3s that go orphaned but then every once in a while I find a gem. 

For example, Alex Turner had a very nice movie sound track-ish album in 2011, Submarine (listen to "Piledriver Waltz") that I found by looking up the movie soundtrack.  Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- It's Blitz! (listen to "Runaway") album works on many levels.  And Broncho "Start a Fight" is a great intro to an album (oops, there is that boom boom boom, bang bang bang rock and roll again). And Of Monsters and Men is a nice (if now pop) album. 

I think there is good stuff out there for your style of music, whatever that might be.  Just look a bit more...ask on forums for suggestions (I like this band, who else can you recommend?).

Best,
John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:37 am »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2013, 10:26 am »
Golden age-ism.  It's a real thing, and it doesn't just apply to music.  "Back in my day..."  Whatever.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2013, 11:11 am »
I agree, to a degree, with the op. I listen to Pandora most of the day and find a few new nuggets of goodness.

What I actually find is more of the older music that has slipped past me. Finding some goodies from the past is really nice.

As for newer music, there seems to be more, less palatable music out there.

All though Lindsey Stirling was a recent addition to my collection... :D

Granted I have a very slanted view I suppose but I'm old and what the hell do I know anyway!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:37 pm »
Golden age-ism.  It's a real thing, and it doesn't just apply to music.  "Back in my day..."  Whatever.

Totally agree.  We tend to remember the gems but forget that at any given time art is 90% garbage and 10% good.  Always has been, always will be.  Find the good stuff now and continue to enjoy the good that's come before.

rooze

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2013, 01:22 pm »
I agree with the OP to a point. Where I differ is that I don't think it's the new music or the new musicians, I think it's the old listeners (us).

Perhaps we're clinging on to some sentimental aspect of the past/passed, when the world truly was a better place. Perhaps we're a little less open-minded than we were when we were young and embracing 'new' psychedelic bands like Pink Floyd etc.

Perhaps it's about comfort and security versus ambition and audacity - the former pair seeming to be natural consequences of getting old(er).

I think it's us  :D

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #34 on: 1 Jul 2013, 02:56 pm »

I think it's us  :D

I think it's not us, it's them....as in not me. :green:
What I need is more time. Time to sift through all the stuff I haven't heard yet both new and new to me. And it's everywhere...

It's not a wasteland....it's a freakin' wonderland!!!

D.D.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:27 pm »
Intend to replay the Bonnaroo '04 DVD today.  Fresh and engaging acts for me were and I'm sure still will be Gillian Welch, Damien Rice, Primus, Gov't Mule, Praxis, Ani DiFranco and a few others.  Bonnaroo still happening?  Any other festivals like it?  Why don't I look it up, rioht?  Believe I will and look for jazz festivals while I'm at it.  Small's, a small jazz club in NYC, has a label.  Believe I'll check that mutha out, too.  Gonna check out Vancouver, BC, also.  Might go there instead of SF.  Never been there.  Brrrr in December tho, huh. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #36 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:31 pm »

Now you're talkin' Jim... shake off that malaise and get you some !  :thumb:

D.D.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 1 Jul 2013, 04:50 pm »
Now you're talkin' Jim... shake off that malaise and get you some !  :thumb:

D.D.
Thanks for the well wishes, Dog.  But, I'll miss Zappa and Beefheart and taking a leak in the boy's room at the Carousel Ballroom (talk about a contact high) and the golden age-ism of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, as Tyson so eloquently put it, forever.  Never fear, tho, I'm still truckin. 

sts9fan

« Reply #38 on: 2 Jul 2013, 01:19 am »
Intend to replay the Bonnaroo '04 DVD today.  Fresh and engaging acts for me were and I'm sure still will be Gillian Welch, Damien Rice, Primus, Gov't Mule, Praxis, Ani DiFranco and a few others.  Bonnaroo still happening?  Any other festivals like it?  Why don't I look it up, rioht?  Believe I will and look for jazz festivals while I'm at it.  Small's, a small jazz club in NYC, has a label.  Believe I'll check that mutha out, too.  Gonna check out Vancouver, BC, also.  Might go there instead of SF.  Never been there.  Brrrr in December tho, huh.

Bonaroo is still going on. This year they had a free webcast of tons of acts. They had two webcast channels for three days. Checkout uStream, I bet you can still check out a bunch of them. 

bhakti

« Reply #39 on: 2 Jul 2013, 02:17 am »
Art reflects its time! 

Art reflects its time!!

:thumb: :scratch: