Audiomart (not USAudiomart) up & running

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Audiomart (not USAudiomart) up & running
« on: 18 Jun 2013, 04:30 am »
Not sure if this post belongs here, but thought I'd mention that while trying to go to USAudiomart to update a sold listing, I tripped on Audiomart, another online marketplace for audiophiles (http://audiomart.com/).  For a long while there was just a "come back to see us soon" marker on the web, but seems to be up and running now & offers free listings through August 31, 2013.  There only seem to be 113 items for sale so far, but don't know how long they've been operating.

Anyway - nice to see another alternative, though honestly 90% of everything I've sold has been through audiogon + here on AC Trading Post.  Also naming it so close to USAudiomart is courting confusion.......

An add on to this post : how many other online markets for audiophile gear are there out there now?  I'm familiar w/:

- EBay + Craigslist (general purpose : honestly, tend to get better prices than Audiogon)
- Audiogon
- USA + Canukaudiomart
- AC Trading Post
- AudioAsylum Trader
- Others?

JohnR

Re: Audiomart (not USAudiomart) up & running
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:37 am »
Have eBay fees shot up for you guys too in the last couple of years? Here they are now 9.9% for eBay and another 3% or so for eBay's Paypal. eBay used to be fun but since they've removed neg feedback for buyers and put up the fees it really isn't, you feel like you're being held to ransom to sell stuff now. At least it's still mostly "sold when it's sold."

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:43 pm »
Jon, it's been about the same for me.  It's either Audiogon or here.  I've found it easy to move the less expensive stuff here and in some cases easier than Audiogon (I've had items listed that did not sell there and sold here).  I'll generally start here and if it doesn't go quickly, I'll try it somewhere else.  Practically though in the near term, anything that I do sell will probably be at a really good deal and probably go quickly due to the impending move as have other stuff to do and a few dollars more in the scheme of things at this point in time is not a big deal.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2013, 02:28 pm »
Have eBay fees shot up for you guys too in the last couple of years? Here they are now 9.9% for eBay and another 3% or so for eBay's Paypal. eBay used to be fun but since they've removed neg feedback for buyers and put up the fees it really isn't, you feel like you're being held to ransom to sell stuff now. At least it's still mostly "sold when it's sold."

Agreed, the fees are out of control on Ebay ... and yes buyers not having to worry about negatives makes no sense. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2013, 05:52 pm »
I noticed that as well about the ebay fees shooting up (particulary if you also use paypal), so I've mostly avoided ebay.  And I try to do PP personal / gift to save on fees - though not everyone wants to bank money there or tie to their bank account.

Had good experience here on Audio Circle.  Audiogon still seems to get the most traffic, and at 2% the fee is reasonable.  I still list on USAudiomart + Audio Asylum Trader + Cragslist, though have never really gotten anything sold through those (other than to a neighbor who happens to trawl AAT). Craigslist is good for getting rid of stuff you offer for free - it tends to attract the bottom feeders.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:31 am »
Ebay is definitely not any fun anymore. I get negatives for the buyers not reading the description correctly and I cannot do anything about it. It is tough to do custom framing on Ebay these days. Fees are also ridiculous.

Positive note, there are over 300 million buyers on Ebay. It would take a lot of advertising money to reach that many buyers by any other means.