How to simulate B&W film with digital - ?

JohnR

How to simulate B&W film with digital - ?
« on: 17 Jun 2013, 08:46 am »
Hi folks, has anyone managed yet to successfully simulate "the look" of (grainy) B&W film with digital? Preferably without using Photoshop plugins (since I don't have a current version of Photoshop).

Photon46

Re: How to simulate B&W film with digital - ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2013, 10:05 am »
You don't say what version of Photoshop you do have, but in CS4 you've got "add noise" in the drop down from the "filter" tool bar menu. Add after B&W conversion. You've also got "film grain" in the drop down menu for "filter-artistic." However, none of Photoshop's native filters to simulate film grain look anywhere near as good as a good dedicated plugin.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:41 am »
Thanks, perhaps I could rephrase the question? Has anyone here managed to successfully simulate "the look" of B&W film digitally? If so, how? I'd be particularly interested in solutions that are a) standalone i.e. don't require the use of Photoshop and b) work on Mac.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2013, 02:41 pm »
http://www.topazlabs.com/bweffects/

Perhaps this software will fulfill your needs? From what I can see, it will work with the usual image processing programs or as a stand alone.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:33 am »
The best one I've used is from the Nik Collection "Silver Efex Pro 2" the only problem for you, is its a plug-in. But Nik has plug-in's for Apple's Aperture, if that helps.

Silver Efex Pro

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:35 am »
Thanks guys. I do have Aperture, to be honest I'd forgotten... shows how often I use it!  :duh: I'll get set up for a trial and see how I go.

I'm (just being honest) a bit dubious, but it's gotten so much more difficult to get film done since I last spent time with it.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2013, 04:43 pm »
Whenever I feel lazy, I don't take RAW files on my digital camera. That is when I don't want to do post processing in Photoshop. But Photoshop Elements is inexpensive, and you can do more than you think with this program.
Instead of taking RAW shots, I take jpg in B/W by changing custom settings on the camera itself. You can get some nice monochrome B/W shots this way!!!!

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2013, 07:31 pm »
Nik Silver Efex Pro is widely well regarded, and I certainly love it, as it gives you a wide range of specific B&W film brands you can choose to emulate.  Also, if there is a Nik bundle, their Color Efex Pro is a fabulous program that happens to include even a larger array of color film brands to emulate, such as Fuji Velvia, Kodak Kotachrome 64, etc. 

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2013, 05:32 am »
I'm (just being honest) a bit dubious, but it's gotten so much more difficult to get film done since I last spent time with it.

Hey!

I know what you mean :D

Currently I'm using Lightroom 4, before that I was using the CS2 and the "channel mixer" feature in there. Now with Lightroom 4 there are more options and more control with color to B&W conversion. Still, I can't get the same feel as I would get from a true B&W films and prints. But I have to admit that some of them come close and I do appreciate that with digital I do have option for color or/and B&W. :D

These were the most recently done in Lightroom 4.... I think it looks OK but still not 100% film-like feel

Salt & Pepper Shakers MoMA Cafe Original Color Version by setpower1, on Flickr

Salt & Pepper Shakers MoMA Cafe by setpower1, on Flickr

I've never explore all those programs mentioned here. Maybe I should, wonder if they will work with Lightroom 4.... I'm still learning on this digital color to B&W with LR4.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2013, 07:01 pm by SET Man »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:04 am »
Hi Buddy, here's another one that I found that might give that film look better. I think I will try this too:

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.aspx

Hi Jon, Nik only comes as a bundle now it seems, about $150.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:46 pm »
Hi Buddy, here's another one that I found that might give that film look better. I think I will try this too:

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.aspx

Hi Jon, Nik only comes as a bundle now it seems, about $150.

Hey!

Thanks John, that actually looks pretty good with lots of options and work with LR. But it is $199  :?

Anyway, funny isn't it, that we are looking to simulate the old analog film feel with our new modern digital camera?  :lol:

Well, if you or anyone try this let me know. Would love to see the real world result.

Take care,

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2013, 03:26 am »

Well, if you or anyone try this let me know. Would love to see the real world result.

Take care,

Here's a shot of my nephew, post-processed with Color Efex.  The original was nice but not as nice :)

EOSD3626 by drjlo1, on Flickr