Vapor subs

harley52

Vapor subs
« on: 11 Jun 2013, 05:24 pm »
Danny,
 I'm gonna have Pete and Ryan build me a pr. of tall standing subs, to go with the Aurora s he's building for me. I mentioned to Ryan I'd like him to use your servo drivers and the PEQ amps. Ryan recommended  using an 8" in each one. What do you think?
 I prefer a total Q of .6-.7. What do you think?

Thanks,
Steve

Danny Richie

Re: Vapor subs
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:17 pm »
Danny,
 I'm gonna have Pete and Ryan build me a pr. of tall standing subs, to go with the Aurora s he's building for me. I mentioned to Ryan I'd like him to use your servo drivers and the PEQ amps. Ryan recommended  using an 8" in each one. What do you think?
 I prefer a total Q of .6-.7. What do you think?

Thanks,
Steve

Rythmik Audio and I went in together on those 8" servo subs. I had a group of them made for open baffle applications as seen here: http://gr-research.com/sw-12-08-1.aspx  And Rythmik had a 4 ohm and 8 ohm version made for small sealed boxes. The lower Q versions he had made only need .35 cubic feet of air space sealed. So they will work great as stands. We have just been held up by the company producing the new servo amps for those new woofers. The amps are 300 watt versions on a smaller sized plate. I am looking forward to them getting here. I have several new models that have been designed that are being held up by the delivery of the amps.

The 4 and 8 ohm woofers had a slightly larger motor structure and will be $129 each.

I do have good stock on the SW-12-04 servo woofers and the A370PEQ amps. They only need 1.5 cubic feet of air space. You could side load one of the 12's in a beefy style stand.

harley52

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:37 pm »
The xovers are built into the stands which are in the price of the speakers. So, I would like the subs to have good cosmetic  proportions. I'm thinking a down firing  10"X10" x 24"-26" tall enclosure would look very pleasing. Using 1" thick enclosure material would give apprx, .8cf at 24" and .875cf at 26" tall. Those could be a tad off as I did that in my head. I didn't take into account for any bracing or the basket of the driver.
 What do you think of those numbers ,Danny.
 Pls. feel free to correct me on any part of this. :)
Thanks so much.
Harley
BTW, can you get a better shot of those two mono blocks that I may be able to use?

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:53 pm »
I am looking forward to them getting here. I have several new models that have been designed that are being held up by the delivery of the amps.   
:hyper: More please.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:02 pm »
I'd side fire the woofer. Down firing causes some unnecessary loading of the driver. Side firing will also keep the width of the stand to an equal width of the monitor above it. And remember, you only need .35 cubic feet of air. You could push that out a little to .4 or so, but there is no need to make it much bigger.

BTW, can you get a better shot of those two mono blocks that I may be able to use?

Two mono-blocks?