Yamaha A-S2000 (A affordable High End Unit-Rev-2)

electriceye

Re: Yamaha A-S2000 (A affordable High End Unit-Rev-2)
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:43 pm »
Weird that there are very few comments on the phono stage in any of the reviews I've read. Has anyone seen any? This would be a great deal if it was good enough for me to sell my phono stage and my amps!

Also, Freo-1 I noticed you auditioned the TBI Millenia... Any comments on differences? I know it's apples and oranges but I'd actually be moving from the TBI to the Yamaha so it would be really helpful.

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2013, 05:07 pm »
Regarding the differences between the TBI and the A-S2000, the take away is that the differences are significant.  The TBI is a low power amp, and has somewhat limited applications.  One should not use speakers that go below 6 ohms with the TBI, as it is just not designed to handle sustained low impedance loads.  Furthermore, the amp max output is 32 watts with a 24 V rail, and 18 watts with a 12 V rail.  It is not a good match for speakers that are under 93/95 db/w or so.  Now, some will state that they are using the TBI with speakers that are under 90 db/w, and my response to that is that the performance will be sub-optimal in that setup. 
A better comparison would be between the Pass Labs INT-150 and the A-S2000.  The Yamaha competes with the Pass Labs VERY well.  It is not easy to tell the differences between the two for normal listening.  One of the things I noticed about the Yamaha is that dynamic contrasts are slightly better subjectively with the Yamaha than the Pass Labs, which I contribute to the outstanding power supply regulation.  The floating balanced approach employed by the Yamaha ensures that there is no distortion crossover effects ever, since all the devices are N types in the output section.
Lastly, the TBI is Class D, and while it is a nice sounding unit, it still has some of the issues associated with Class D with regard to soundstage and HF (IMHO).

apollophono

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2013, 07:27 pm »
Does the Yamaha S-A500 compare with the S-A2000?  I have to imagine that
they use the same design and circuitry.  I'm interested because I have the
TBI and because of its low power I would consider the Yamaha S-A500 as
an alternative.  Also, like Freo-1 mentioned, the TBI is limited, but the
Yamaha has all the bells and whistles. 

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2013, 02:25 am »
Does the Yamaha S-A500 compare with the S-A2000?  I have to imagine that
they use the same design and circuitry.  I'm interested because I have the
TBI and because of its low power I would consider the Yamaha S-A500 as
an alternative.  Also, like Freo-1 mentioned, the TBI is limited, but the
Yamaha has all the bells and whistles.

Actually, while the S-500 is a nice sounding unit, it's not the same design and circuitry as the S-2000.  The S-500 has a more pedestrian power supply, and is not a balanced topology.  The balanced design makes a big difference with regard to dynamics and increased resolution. 

apollophono

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2013, 03:41 am »
Thank you Freo-1 for your knowledge and input.   :thumb:  Sorry
to keep talking about it, but how does the A-S500 compare to
the TBI?  I wish I had the discretionary cash to afford the
A-S2000, but I'm a working stiff and can't afford it.  Although it
is nice to know how high the bar is and who knows, I might hit
the lottery. 

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2013, 03:54 am »

Freo-1

I took the top metal lid off and the top center metal piece off and the bottom metal plate off my Yamaha a-s2000 and then I put some ankle weights from Walmart under the front center and under the back of my a-s2000.

After a few days I was shocked at the difference this had made to my system!

You might want to try this out sometime and see how you like it.

I also have a Audio Magic nano-liquid fuse in my a-s2000, it takes a 10a small fast-blow fuse and you might want to try one of these fuses too sometime.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2013, 06:31 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

Freo-1

« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2013, 01:52 pm »
Thank you Freo-1 for your knowledge and input.   :thumb:  Sorry
to keep talking about it, but how does the A-S500 compare to
the TBI?  I wish I had the discretionary cash to afford the
A-S2000, but I'm a working stiff and can't afford it.  Although it
is nice to know how high the bar is and who knows, I might hit
the lottery.

I don't have much first hand experience with the A-S500, but I think it's a excellent buy. Here is a quick and dirty review:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-A-S500/

Sounds like HiFiSoundGuy has improved performance by employing dampening to the chassis.  I'll look into this.  My A-S2000 is in a very heavy cabinet, so there is already some dampening.  The adjustable feet with the spikes heal as well. Do you use those?

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2013, 05:08 pm »

I don't have much first hand experience with the A-S500, but I think it's a excellent buy. Here is a quick and dirty review:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-A-S500/

Sounds like HiFiSoundGuy has improved performance by employing dampening to the chassis.  I'll look into this.  My A-S2000 is in a very heavy cabinet, so there is already some dampening.  The adjustable feet with the spikes heal as well. Do you use those?

Freo-1

Using magnetic metal material for the top lid and top center metal piece and bottom metal plate that has the adjustable feet on it has a BAD EFFECT on the sound quality and by removing these metal pieces improves the sound quality a lot!

The new Yamaha a-s3000 uses non-magnetic material for these pieces.

MiesDavis

« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:12 pm »
I used my A-S2000 with ATC SCM40's for a year and thought that I couldn't get much better sound without doubling my investment. In hindsight, I went from the SCM11's to the SCM40's and probably should have tried the SCM19 based on everything I've read. The ATC and A-S2000 combination--for a lover of neutrality and accuracy--was hard to beat. I would say that the A-S2000 is not capable of driving the SCM40's properly but could be perfect for the SCM19's or SCM20's.

I'm currently using the A-S2000 with Yamaha's NS1000 speakers and despite the difference in age between the two, they are getting along very well.

[/img]

Mike82

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2014, 12:27 am »
Freo.   We’re a year plus after your review of the A-S2000.  What are your current impressions?

The reason I ask is that this amp and CDP are on my short list.  I had the Yam CA-800 intrgrated back in the 1970s mated to some DCM Time Windows. A nice combo.   I sold it for separates a few years later, but always remembered how much I liked it.   So much so that I bought another one off Ebay.

Hogg

« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2014, 07:57 pm »
I'd like to chime in here.  I owned the original A-S2000.  It was a good amplifier but not excellent; resolution was not top-notch; bass didn't have the slam I like; and the whole sound seemed  a tad soft to me.  I traded in the A-S2000 for a A-S2100 and wow what a difference.  The A-S2100 is in another category compared to the A-S2000. It has superior resolution, great bass and sparkling treble compared to the A-S2000.  It's as good a solid state integrated, as I've heard.  Yes, it's $1500 more than the A-S2000 but well worth it in my opinion.  I wonder just how much better the A-S3000 is at $7000.

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #31 on: 5 Dec 2014, 08:26 pm »
I'd like to chime in here.  I owned the original A-S2000.  It was a good amplifier but not excellent; resolution was not top-notch; bass didn't have the slam I like; and the whole sound seemed  a tad soft to me.  I traded in the A-S2000 for a A-S2100 and wow what a difference.  The A-S2100 is in another category compared to the A-S2000. It has superior resolution, great bass and sparkling treble compared to the A-S2000.  It's as good a solid state integrated, as I've heard.  Yes, it's $1500 more than the A-S2000 but well worth it in my opinion.  I wonder just how much better the A-S3000 is at $7000.

Jim

My one complaint with the A-S2000 was the XLR input overloaded above 2.8 VRMS.  The matching CD-S2000 worked well with the A-S2000, but the Oppo BDP 105, not so much. 

I wonder what was changed on the A-S2100 to improve it's performance?  The preamp on the A-S2000 was rather pedestrian,  so maybe that is where it is improved.  I had tried the A-S2000 as a power amp with a Classe Preamp, and that did sound better than the A-S2000 straight up.

A couple of other integrated amps worth looking at is the Electrocompaniet PI-2, and the Sony TA-A1ES.

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 5 Dec 2014, 11:21 pm »

Jim

Opinions seem split on this amp. jim,  your experience mirrors the What Hifi review. But other reviews like the one linked to earlier in this thread,  and Freo`s do not seem to reflect this. Very curious. www.whathifi.com/yamaha/s2000/review

aarmath

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2015, 07:07 pm »

My one complaint with the A-S2000 was the XLR input overloaded above 2.8 VRMS.  The matching CD-S2000 worked well with the A-S2000, but the Oppo BDP 105, not so much. 

I wonder what was changed on the A-S2100 to improve it's performance?  The preamp on the A-S2000 was rather pedestrian,  so maybe that is where it is improved.  I had tried the A-S2000 as a power amp with a Classe Preamp, and that did sound better than the A-S2000 straight up.

A couple of other integrated amps worth looking at is the Electrocompaniet PI-2, and the Sony TA-A1ES.

Hi Freo,
Though I am aware that I'm  resurrecting a dead thread, I would like to add my observations on my experience with the Oppo BDP-105D & the A-S2000. Since I own the Darbee edition & the A-S2000 (Mated to a pair of Wharfedale Dentons), I am happy to inform you that I have not experienced any overload/distortion on my setup in any way.
The reason for posting is that I was all set to NOT purchase the Oppo because of your post for more than a year. But then the lady of the house fell in love with the Oppo & I had no option but to get it. & I DO NOT regret the purchase one bit. Though I expected the XLR points to overload, I was happily proved wrong. Yes, it is the 105D & not the original 105.
Please treat this post as an FYI update.

Thanks,
Aaron