"Tilt-shift" lenses

JohnR

Re: "Tilt-shift" lenses
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2013, 09:36 am »
Nice work Pete!

I have Canon’s 24mm tilt-shift they also have a 17mm, 45mm and 90mm.

I read that Canon's lenses have independent axes of tilt and shift. In addition to the 17mm. Canon have definitely one-upped Nikon in this area!

I've been practicing with my 85. Getting the hang of it... I put some shots in my gallery

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=81918;size=large

I do find that 85mm on DX (APS sensor) is too long for these shots most of the time. Also it's not that hard with this focal length to come up with shots for which there is not enough tilt, like the boat one. I've also realized that I may not be able to do what I wanted with macro with this lens, as the amount of tilt or shift to realize a given adjustment is much greater at shorter distances.

Guy 13

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2013, 10:08 am »
Hi JohnR and all Audio Circle members.
I did not know that you were such a good photographer
or should I say:
That you had talent for photography.
Nice pictures.
I agree with you, an 85mm tilt is a little too long of a focal for many type of subjects.
Do you have a preferred type of subject?

Guy 13

PeteG

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2013, 02:51 pm »
John, very nice shots (fav- Moss,Sandstone). Yes, it comes in handy to have independent adjustments of T/S with landscapes.
Another thing I like is you can shoot close to wide-open (very sharp) and still have most of the foreground/background in focus using tilt.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2013, 01:57 pm »
Thanks Guy and Pete. Here's another attempt from today, not entirely sucessful. I wasn't quite able to get enough tilt to get the full stalk in focus. And anyway, I didn't have enough DoF to get the seeds on the front and on the side in focus (I can see it easily on the full size version).

More successful I think was this one, for which I used a tiny amount of tilt since that was the purpose of the excursion but really didn't need to.

Guy - generally outdoors (away from the computer) and smaller sized things. I call it "taking a closer look" :)

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jun 2013, 03:04 pm »
Hey!

John, the top is very nice and a good example of what a T/S lens can do with that type of picture :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:02 pm »
I rented a tilt\shift lens for the Canon DSLR at work awhile back.  It was a very nice lens, however coming from large format I found it very uncomfortable to use because of having to peer through the tiny viewfinder.  I suspect with an external monitor, as I assume many newer DSLRs can do today, would make it much easier to use.  Or that live capture thing inside Lightroom which I haven't been able to try yet.

I like the seed stalk image, JohnR; nice sharp\blurred combination, controlled color, no insanely saturated greens and no halos!  Other one is nice too, although I might prefer the shadows being a bit warmer.

PeteG

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jun 2013, 07:14 pm »
I need help with focus when using tilt. Therefore, I use my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone a USB hosting cable and “DSLR Controller” app, also use a Hoodman loupe for the screen.

DSLR Controller

Hoodman Loupe

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2013, 10:18 am »
Hi Pete, modern technology is pretty cool eh? :)

I'm about to buy a bellows unit with tilt-shift. With the lens I have mounted on it, I'll then have T/S in both axes... for subjects that are small, very close to the lens, and don't move :D

I like the seed stalk image, JohnR; nice sharp\blurred combination, controlled color, no insanely saturated greens and no halos!  Other one is nice too, although I might prefer the shadows being a bit warmer.

Thanks Nathan... could you clarify "shadows being a bit warmer"?

nathanm

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm »
Nothing huge, the foliage looks a little bluish.  I'd take out some cyan and add yellow.  It's not much, though.  It's one of those things that will depend on individual monitors.

This is what I did:

Jon L

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jul 2013, 12:02 am »
My Canon TS-E 24 mm II is perhaps the sharpest lens I own, not to mention the stupendous feat of mechanical engineering.  Not everyone needs a super expensive T-S lens like that to have some fun though. 

I also have a Lensbaby, which looks puny next to the Canon TS-E, but it can be lots of fun.  Below with Lensbaby Sweet 35 optics. 

EOSD1849bw by drjlo1, on Flickr

PeteG

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jul 2013, 12:24 pm »
Jon, I agree the TS-E 24 is a wonderful lens. Have you ever used a extender on it.

Jon L

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2013, 11:49 pm »
Jon, I agree the TS-E 24 is a wonderful lens. Have you ever used a extender on it.

It's funny you ask.  Canon TC 2x III does actually "work" with TS-E 24 II in the sense that the camera does not seem to recognize the TC is in the path and lets you take a photo.  By viewfinder, the metering is all screwy, but live view metering works well.  Usually, third party TC's work with more Canon lenses, but my Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro does not even let you take photo's with TS-E 24, as if you press the shutter, the camera just freezes without taking a photo and can only be unfrozen when battery is taken out. 

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:12 am »
Nothing huge, the foliage looks a little bluish.  I'd take out some cyan and add yellow.

By gum. You're right!!