Concert by the Sea

Baumli

Concert by the Sea
« on: 7 May 2013, 09:35 am »
Gentlemen (and consorts),
If we all comprised our "Ten Favorites" when it comes to jazz, I'm sure almost no one would leave off "Kind of Blue" by you-know-who. There's another one which would make most people's list, namely, "Concert by the Sea" by Erroll Garner. But there's a problem, for me, with this album. Namely, I've probably bought 30 copies over the years, and have never, ever found a copy that is in decent shape. The original mono is always very bad; some of the later ones that were remastered for stereo (not badly done, by the way) are almost acceptable. So I usually rely on the CD, but it has a bright edge that detracts. To anyone's knowledge, has this LP ever been reissued on 180-gram or 200-gram vinyl, with a high-quality pressing? I would love to get a copy if anyone knows where it is available. Thanks in advance for any information people can provide.

Cheers,

Francis Baumli

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Concert by the Sea
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
Click >>HERE<< for a link to the 180 gram.

Baumli

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2013, 02:59 am »
Dear Bob,
Thank you for the information! I shall order forthwith, and hope that it arrives in decent shape.
This little discovery is a fine example of how well served we are by our GAS community.

All the best,

Francis Baumli

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2013, 03:56 am »
Best wishes on Concert by the Sea.  I remember it fondly from my jr. high days.  Remember those fondly, too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2013, 12:53 pm »
You're welcome Francis, glad I could help.  :D

In hindsight, I realize I should have given the typical disclaimer of, "I've never used this website, have never heard of them, etc...etc.. so enter at your own risk..... bla....bla....".

I found them after a quick Google search.

I did try to find a 200 gram, but was unsuccessful.

Bob

Baumli

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:46 am »
Dear folks,

In my quest for CONCERT BY THE SEA I ordered two copies. They came from a company called Jazz Messengers which is located in Spain. The two copies both were in perfect shape, indeed are 180-gram vinyl, and I got them for a little less than $15 each which included shipping!

It's as though I heard this recording for the first time. It has vastly more detail than the CD without the brightness, along with conveying a real sense of power. There was, almost, a glitch. I could tell that the recording is a little sharp, and I thought: "Oh no; this company ran the master tape a little fast." But when I went back and listened to my crappy vinyl copy which has been remastered for stereo, and the CD too, I could tell they both are a hair sharp too. So really what was happening is the fact that this vinyl pressing is so good it allowed me to hear not only what is sublime but also a very minor engineering error.

Regardless, it's now one of my most valued recordings, and I am vastly generous to GAS for helping me at last find a good copy of this piece of truly classic jazz.

Cheers,

Francis Baumli