HT3's and a sub or Soundscape 10s with no sub?

Ace Deprave

Re: HT3's and a sub or Soundscape 10s with no sub?
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2013, 10:58 am »
I'm waiting on dual JTR S1's and my W16 SCST's.  I'm a little leery on the subs... While they have huge output, im not so sure on how articulate they will be for music.. We'll see here soon.  I'm upgrading from dual SVS SB13's.

What made you decide on those subs over the Rhythmiks?

MikeC78

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2013, 11:32 am »
Mostly the footprint of the S1 and output. :)  Its 21x21x16.26" deep  I've also seen many reviews that say they are good with music as well, we'll see...

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
The HT3s are no slouch and if you are happy with the sound and their movie and music performance then live with them for a while
and look at other upgrade options in your system first
I would see how they do in your new home

I personally love the SS10s on their own - I am bi-amping them with tubes on the highs and solid state for the low end.
that gives a nice punch and great warmth and tonality. They are incredibly accurate and will reflect whatever upstream components are in the system (as will the HT3s)
I have not tried them with my sub (both weigh a ton)

The extra 5 hz on the low end from 29 to 22 is apparent, and the bass is very authoritative on the SS10s
most new action movies seem to favor 'subsonic' soundtrack effects below that

if your listening room is going to be large I would suggest a sub in the system

If you lean more towards movies than music and are an action movie guy I'd suggest sticking with the HT3 Rythmik combo
or perhaps going SS8's and keeping the rythmik
If you lean more towards music and movies that are more dialog and less action the SS10s might be the perfect fit.

fsimms

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2013, 02:47 pm »
I agree with everything Audiotom said. 

I also have a sub that I don’t use with my SS10s as they are fine for music.  For movies, I probably should use my sub.  I don’t, as I live in a condo and the SS10s are so good on the bass.  I do miss the deep rumble of the V8 in the Supernatural TV show.  However, I still feel the wind from the wings of dragons, in Lord of the Rings, with my SS10s alone.  :thumb:

Bob