Charles Hansen's opinion of ferrite chokes - agree or disagree?

jult52

Charles Hansen of Ayre Acoustics has been on record (see an Audio Asylum thread but other comments are out there) that he believes ferrite chokes screw up system sonic performance and that the audio industry has been moving away from ferrite chokes in recent years as their drawbacks become apparent.  Hansen didn't specify where in the system chokes were objectionable.

He has also stated that the chokes performance degrades with age as the chokes absorb radiation, which they apparently don't discharge.

Obviously, Hansen is a prominent sound engineer.  Do you agree or disagree with his criticisms of ferrites?  Do they indeed store radiation the longer they are in the sound chain?

Folsom

I don't like ferrite clamps on power cables. I find them to be awful. Immediately bad.

The only place I like one is on a guitar cable that is coaxial. You don't notice it, but the lack of RF is nice.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Agree 100%. Especially for digital cables.

charles

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
I'm not sure what choking ferrets has to do with audio, but I'm against it as well.  :?

wisnon

I'm not sure what choking ferrets has to do with audio, but I'm against it as well.  :?

Are U more in favour of squashing them?