BCD-1 discontinued

apoid1

BCD-1 discontinued
« on: 6 May 2013, 03:13 am »
Does anyone else regret discontinue of BCD-1 CD Player?

So There

• Brystonized
Re: BCD-1 discontinued
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2013, 04:54 am »
Absolutely, but check out the BOT-1 thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114922.0

While this is clearly not a one-box solution, the ability to use a CD transport with the outstanding BDA-series DACs could provide a viable option. There is discussion on the BOT thread about the requirement of a BDP-series digital player, but it will be interesting to see how the project develops.

Rich

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2013, 06:20 am »
hi, Apoid!

yes, i do...too bad that Philips stopped the production of the player's cd drive. however, the BCD-1 is without doubt a high-end cd player :thumb: i remember very well when i played the first cds on my unit - details, bass and everything else sounded absolutely amazing. so the BCD is a keeper for me!!

BCD-1...No Disc No Fun :green:

al.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2013, 07:24 am by alexone »

GT Audio Works

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2013, 11:38 am »
As long as they can repair the one I own.
I think it is a very good piece. Will not be replacing it in my system for a long time, I hope.
                                                                                                                                         Greg

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2013, 01:41 pm »
  The BCD1 has made me fully appreciate the sonic potential of well recorded cd records. No regrets ( that's why I bought a spare) :green: :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2013, 02:58 pm »
Just got myBCD-1 back from Bryston(tray not closing+error reading).
Works great except my display doesn't seem to dim using code 240,brightness word doesn't pop up on screen.
What pops up is last track no matter what cd I put in :scratch:.
Have the BDA-2 also which I use the AES digital out of BCD-1 to BDA-2 and analog out of BCD-1 to pre.
Perhaps early but switching between the BCD-1 analog out and the BDA-2                                                                                              I find the BDA-1 like a party for one(mellow),and the BCD-1 like going to a roadhouse bar on a Saturday night,no doubt about it a lot livelier :thumb:..

spinner

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2013, 10:17 pm »
  Yes the (bcd-1)really is a gem among many rocks in the player world. There must be a way to further correct that display problem. Would Mike Picket know more about it? :scratch: :thumb:

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2013, 10:40 pm »
The display in my BCD-1 went. The unit was out of warrenty yet Bryston fixed the display no charge. :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2013, 10:51 pm »
I'll be trying mine again tonight and if it happns more I'll give mike a CALL,no email :nono:.
Just tried it it goes to track 40 :o,with and without disc in tray.
Hmmm and it was a complete checkup :scratch:.
Toll free # tomorrow.

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2013, 09:00 pm »
  James that is very disappointing. I thought you guys had parts for the CD1 :o Are there even 40 tracks on cds?   LOL :icon_lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2013, 09:48 pm »
This is a new one on me but I am sure Mike will sort it out  :scratch:

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2013, 10:57 pm »
yes,new one on me to as even if some cds have 12,18 tracks,doesn't matter as track 40 pops up.
The word brightness doesn't pop up on display,too late today to phone,will tomorrow.
Other than that it works like new :thumb:.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2013, 12:29 am »
Does anyone else regret discontinue of BCD-1 CD Player?

Had one for a couple of years or so - like anything else it had its pro's and con's. It sounded good and was a fun listen but it also had some quirks that could be annoying...I don't miss having mine, not because it wasn't a good unit but rather because of what I replaced it with. A stop along the way, but a largely enjoyable one.

D.D.

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2013, 01:00 am »
I auditoned the BCD-1 and the ARC CD-3 MKII together thru a ARC pre for about 4hrs with my own tunes and came out with the Bryston :thumb:..thing is I had been thinking of the Arc for quite some time and thought I really wanted it until I heard the Bryston back to back and with a click of a remote the comparison was no contest for me.
Plus I saved a few G's .
I'm sure I'll get a BDP and perhaps a Bot,but the BCD-1 is stayin right here.

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2013, 02:52 pm »
Just a little update,using my BCD-1 remote to control the BP-26 vol by entering the code on remote works great.
Also entering code for display off and on works great,just the display brightness is not working.
9:51,time to call Mike..........................5min later:
Answer is,with the NEW display there is no dimming capabilities,plus the display will last longer,so...................ALL's GOOD.
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Gee all I wanted was the tray problem fixed(which it is)  plus a new display,TYPICAL BRYSTON :thumb:.

zeiter

« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2013, 05:58 pm »
  James that is very disappointing. I thought you guys had parts for the CD1 :o Are there even 40 tracks on cds?   LOL :icon_lol:

I had once a CD with 80 tracks from Sheffield Lab, called "my disc", or something like that, for testing purposes, and my BCD-1 will stop at the end of  track 39. I contacted Mike at Bryston, and was told that for performance purposes, the player won't read anything after track 39, part of the design.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2013, 06:18 pm »
That was the strange part as none of my cds have 40 tracks and that's what would pop up.
The most tracks I have on any cd is 21-22.
Since I can't dim the display she's 100%.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2013, 06:19 pm »
Hi,

The new display can not be dimmed like the older version.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2013, 07:35 pm »
  When you say dimmed do you mean total shut off? :scratch:

drummermitchell

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2013, 09:01 pm »
The old display you could dim maybe 25-50% i believe(been awhile)+you can shut it off or on of course.
The new display you can turn off or on but the brightness stays the same,no adjusting.
I thought if I could I'd turn her down as it's almost like downtown Hong Kong(bright).
I can always turn it off also.It's facing my back so it's no biggie.