US Audition Amp: AKSA 100W Nirvana Plus

audiojerry

« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2004, 12:29 pm »
Wow, am I glad Rocket Rod gave me a heads up that the AKSA tour is finally on. Please sign me on, if possible. I live in Brookfield Wisconsin also, like Jonwb. One of us could pick it up personally from the other, which would allow us to split shipping cost.

Thanks Hugh and Lonewolf, and everyone else who helped to put this together.

My Audio Research VT200 is shaking in its boots!  :lol:

AKSA

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2004, 12:03 pm »
My pleasure Chris,

Could you relay a more accurate word picture of your experience personally, so we can discuss it?

Paul's back in town after his vacation......

Thanks for your reliability and honesty!

Cheers,

Hugh

srclose

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2004, 04:48 pm »
I'd really be interested in a chance to hear the AKSA if it can be worked out.  I'm in Enid, Oklahoma.

AKSA

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2004, 10:08 pm »
Steve,

Ah, Enid, OK?

You would probably know Martin, and have heard his 55W at his home?  Lovely guy, give him my warmest, and let him know when the AKSA swings round your way!

Thank you for your interest,

Cheers,

Hugh

srclose

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2004, 10:51 pm »
Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Martin, and didn't realize there was someone nearby with AKSA equipment.

J North

« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:32 am »
Very, very, very interested in auditioning this amplifier!

Located in Nelson BC, but use Colville WA as my shipping address.

Can we squeeze me in somewhere?

Currently have (including a few borrowed components):
Sources: Marantz SA-14, Toshiba 3950, Sony XE670, musaetex Bidat (full mods)
Speakers: GM Europas, Focus Audio FC-70's, B&W Sig805's
Pres: PS Audio PCA-2, Bent NOH GenIII
Amps: too numerous 2 mention!, but most are history.

Let me know. I could keep it to 3 or 4 days if it made a difference.

AKSA

« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:47 am »
Hi J North,

Thank you for your post, and to all who have requested audition.  Here's the drill:

1.  First up, post here to 'book' your place.
2.  Contact Paul (Occam of razor fame) in NYC by PM on this forum when you are within two or three stops of your audition, just so he has a point of contact.  You can use the PM system on this forum to talk and plan movement with other auditioners.
3.  Talk with Paul about the logistics;  he's the boss.  If three people in NYC want audition, for example, it makes sense to audition all three immediately since that's where the amp is at present and people save on shipping.  More than that, a split would be set up;  three weeks NYC, then out of state, then back to NYC for another long session.
4.  The order will thus not be hard and fast, but up to Paul, loosely based on who posts their booking first, and present amplifier location.  But it will be a pragmatic justice, you can be sure.
5.  Don't mess with the amp.  Don't open it, fiddle with it, abuse it, short it, or otherwise play Mr Fixit with it.  These things often end in tears, we don't want tears.....  And send it on only after the next guy has sent shipping costs plus insurance via PayPal or some other financial instrument.  None of us wants a slanging match on the forum!
6.  Always be nice.  Please, no shouting at any time!

There is NO PAPERWORK at this stage.  Let's keep it so.  If Paul is forced to impose burdensome admin on this grand experiment it will be a right PITA and we really want to avoid this.

Cheers,

Hugh

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2004, 04:49 am »
Hello srclose
 I'd be glad to let you audition my Aksa 100 nirvana.
In fact it's not in use at the moment.
I'm adding a selector switch to my TLP.
I just looked you up in the phone book, we're not more than a
couple of miles apart. Nothing is more than a couple of miles apart in Enid.
 I also have built a pair of Aksonics, in case your interested.
I'm in the phone book...Martin Bowles on west Cherokee or you can
send an private message.

srclose

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2004, 02:32 pm »
Hi Martin,

Just saw your message.  Thanks for the offer, I'll PM right away.

SRC

Rom

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2004, 09:25 am »
Hi lonewolfny42 et all,

Nice review and welcome to AKSAphile land!

Really looking forward for these review of yours. Your comments will really help us built and improved our AKSA's in the future.

It sound like you really enjoy the company of AKSA. I wish I could be there to hear it for myself.

Cheers,
Rom

Lost81

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2004, 10:09 am »
Wow, thanks for taking the time to post your review, lonewolfny42

That was really interesting.
Nice to finally hear of the AKSA vs the Krell.

If and when the AKSA finally gets to my paws, I might be able to pit it against an acquaintance's Pass Aleph 3  :duel:

A caveat regarding shipping (others may disagree): Beware of UPS.

With twiddling thumbs,
-Lost81

audiojerry

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:49 am »
AKSA 1:   competition 0?

Occam

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2004, 02:15 am »
Statius update -

I recieved the amp back from LoneWolf today (Many thank for that and the review). I'm changing the binding posts to Superior BP-30s (like me, rather mundane in appearance, but, IMO, the best performance), to allow for use of dual banana plugs as speaker cable termination (as well as spades, wire...), and to minimize the possibility of shorting the output stage. You folks may like your 'audio jewelry' , but its my responsibillity to keeps the sucker running.....

Apolgies for the delay. I'll be contacting the various New Yawkas this weekend to schedule the continued tour.

Rocket

aksa audition tour
« Reply #33 on: 20 Aug 2004, 02:24 am »
Hi Lost81,

If and when the AKSA finally gets to my paws, I might be able to pit it against an acquaintance's Pass Aleph 3  

Now that would be an interesting comparison.  I've heard a pass aleph 3 on a couple of occasions and think it is one sweet sounding amplifier.

Thanks to lonewolf42 for the review of the aksa as it gave me a comparison on different amplifiers.

regards

rocket

andrewbee

For lonewolfny42
« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2004, 08:16 pm »
Just wondering why you did not include the Scott Nixon amps in your comparison test.
Andrew

andrewbee

The above should be "For "lonewolfny42"
« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2004, 08:18 pm »
as above.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: For lonewolfny42
« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2004, 08:32 pm »
Quote from: andrewbee
Just wondering why you did not include the Scott Nixon amps in your comparison test.
Andrew
Andrew...They are only 40 watts....my other amps had more power. Nice little bricks, just don't use them much. But they sound good, just run out of steam at higher volume !! :)
    Link
S. Nixon photo's[/list:u]

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: since you showed me yours ....
« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2004, 09:07 pm »
Quote from: andrewbee
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=albun22&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Very Nice !!  :hyper: I could not build that...don't have the skills....the SN's were a used purchase from Hantra...already put together. The SN photo's are from byteme's gallery. Hantra loaned them for a listen. Guess this really is audio-CIRCLE (round and round)... :D

andrewbee

« Reply #39 on: 22 Aug 2004, 12:02 am »
Guess this really is audio-CIRCLE (round and round)...  :D

LOL Yup, it certainly is !