Schiit Audio offers affordable upgrade to Bifrost

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Schiit Audio offers affordable upgrade to Bifrost
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2013, 05:03 pm »
@Geowak.. you had any issued with the Leds, when doing the USB upgrade?

geowak

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2013, 08:12 pm »
@Geowak.. you had any issued with the Leds, when doing the USB upgrade?
I have not installed the USB board, just the Analog board. I had to be careful, nonetheless, when changing the board to not damage the LEDs or the connections to them.

Chops

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:57 pm »
I love my Bifrost. Mine is still all stock, but it's connected to a Simaudio Moon Stellar and sounds excellent.

As far as the stock Bifrost sounding a bit edgy or lacking a little in the bass, I can't see how. This thing is silky smooth with plenty of detail, oomph and air. IDK, maybe the stock unit has those traits but the Stellar tames them. Funny thing is, I use NHT 2.9's which people claim are also bright. Again, I don't find them to be. Then again, being powered by 25 watts of Class A power might have something to do with that as well. I say it's all about system synergy.

I do plan on getting the Uber upgrade board at some point, but not just yet. I have another project that I'm trying to work on and need to save my funding for that.

mboxler

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2013, 01:02 pm »
Hi Guys

I just received the Uber upgrade card.  Schiit seems to really hammer the need for ESD prevention.  I've assembled a few PC's, but with those, I made sure to constantly touch bare metal on the PC chassis (power supply installed...plugged in...power off) so that the chassis and I were at ground potential.  Is there a better way to handle this Schiit? 

Thanks, Mike

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2013, 01:42 pm »
Hi Guys

I just received the Uber upgrade card.  Schiit seems to really hammer the need for ESD prevention.  I've assembled a few PC's, but with those, I made sure to constantly touch bare metal on the PC chassis (power supply installed...plugged in...power off) so that the chassis and I were at ground potential.  Is there a better way to handle this Schiit? 

Thanks, Mike

I would email Schiit.  Those guys always get back to you right away. 

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2013, 02:46 pm »
I used an anti-static wrist strap when I did the upgrade. Mine had alligater clips on the ground end, which I attach to a metal ground. No issues or problems. I think i got all the tools from ifixit.com, a website that provides toolkits for working on Mac laptop computers.

mboxler

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:50 pm »
Thanks  :thumb:

I followed these instructions from the head-fi forum for re-assembly.  LED's fall right into place.

I put my uber and usb2 in today.  About the LED's.  I think everyone will mess this up.  It's nearly impossible to align the led's into the holes after you've bolted the board to the steel (dark gray frame).    for terminology, I'll talk about the a) aluminum part (wrap around outer portions)  b) steel frame (dark gray part that the board was bolted to from the rear) and c) the board (red pcb innards)

I couldn't get them lined up, so I removed the board from the steel frame.  I put the aluminum part face down, put the selection switch button in to sit in place by gravity, then I lowered the board down into the aluminum part with generous clearances to line up the stupid leds.  Once they were in, I let it rest, and slid the steel frame down into the aluminum part, around the board until it all meshed, being careful not to lift the board or pull the leds out of their holes.  you have to wiggle the board a bit as the power switch nears it's hole (due to angle of the lever of the switch).

(my gut says this is how they assemble them as schiit.  so reassembly is not the exact reverse steps as disassembly.

So, my leds are back in their holes properly as they should be.  I couldn't have done it any other way.

Mike

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2013, 01:26 am »
Thanks  :thumb:

I followed these instructions from the head-fi forum for re-assembly.  LED's fall right into place.

Mike

I guess that means "you got all your Schiit together"? Way to go...