Sonore exD DSD DAC on a Mac

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Sonore exD DSD DAC on a Mac
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2013, 03:09 am »
It's not a dual motherboard, it's 2 pcs in a sort of client/server setup for Jplay.  They call it streamer mode, where there is a "controlpc" that houses the player (Jriver, for example) a copy of jplay, and the acess to the music storage.  Then it connects to the "audiop" which simply houses Windows and jplay (and the DAC driver).  The audiopc does NOTHING but play music; no music storage access, no browsing, nothing.  All remote access (like jremote) and setup is through the controlpc.

http://jplay.eu/manual/  (scroll half way down)

InfernoSTi

Re: Sonore exD DSD DAC on a CAPS
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2013, 03:38 am »
Ted,

Interesting...could one be a Mac and one a Windows PC?  Or would both have to be Windows?  Does the AudioPC need to be more than a CAPs v2?  Hmmm...so many questions...

Thank you for the link...

Best,
John

For serious audiophiles JPLAY also supports a StreamerMode (setup with two PCs connected via LAN) with dedicated ‘Audio PC’ fully optimised for music transport.

Note that in StreamerMode all settings in JPLAY settings utility and advanced settings in regedit or jplay.settings txt file should be adjusted on Control PC.

Setup is the same: Install JPLAY on both PCs and configure the host player as explained above on ‘Control PC’. Next open JPLAYSettings utility and click on the button next to Audio PC until you see ‘Search my LAN for JPLAY’: click ‘OK’ to initiate search.

If both PCs are on same LAN you should see a message ‘Found JPLAY on 1 computer’. Click OK, reopen JPLAYSettings and you should be able to select your AudioPC and change settings from Control PC.

If ‘Search my LAN for JPLAY’ does _not_ find a running JPLAY instance on network you may have a firewall or your LAN settings may need to be entered manually: Please see ‘Network troubleshooting’ for further information. Note you don’t need to have any software on AudioPC apart from Windows and JPLAY: Players like JRiver, foobar2000 or any other ASIO capable player run on Control PC so also all CPU activity they create (loading, decompressing, DSP etc) is completely isolated from Audio PC which sees only music bytes coming via network.

Both Wired and WiFi connections are supported although wired Ethernet is usually more reliable especially if you live in an apartment and have strong interference from multiple WiFi spots.

PS I've got Dire Straits "Dire Straits" from the Japanese SHM-SACD release ripped to DSD via my PS3 playing on my Sonore DSD DAC and loving it!  Thank you, Ted, for your help from a year ago until even now.  I would not/could not have done it without your help. It is most appreciated.  John
« Last Edit: 12 May 2013, 07:07 am by InfernoSTi »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2013, 08:10 pm »
I have put together the rough early stages of my CAPSv2+ (more like v2- right now).  I had a heck of a time doing getting Windows 8 on my SSD but now have a machine that runs Windows 8 Pro and has JRiver installed and playing.  My limited installation is with the following:

1. Wesena ITX6-S (Silver) Mini HTPC Chassis $78.00
2. Intel Innovation DN2800MT Desktop Motherboard - Intel NM10 Express Chipset $97.99
3. Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT60GB-DX mSATA 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $89.99
4. Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model 991644 $30.99
5. Windows 8 Pro (Full Version) $139.99
6. JRiver Media Center 18 for Windows ($50)

I hooked it up to a TV via HDMI for setup and have it playing via a small USB DAC and headphones. I have JRiver Remote working via an ethernet cable to my router and that is going to make the interface easy.  I'm very pleased with the basics but need to figure out a bunch more stuff before it ends up in the main rig (not to mention the additional parts still arriving).

It has been both easier and harder that I expected: I don't know how to explain that statement exactly, but it mostly has to do with Windows 8 and being a Mac guy to begin with.  Anyway, things are progressing very nicely with the CAPS build.

Best,
John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2013, 09:01 pm »
Deleted earlier post...fixed issue. 

John
« Last Edit: 12 May 2013, 07:08 am by InfernoSTi »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2013, 11:22 pm »
OK, I tried to load the included audio drivers for the Sonore exD but it won't complete the installation.  I can't get the CAPS to recognize my DAC so it plays great with my other DACs, just not with the Sonore exD yet. 

Does anyone know if there is a newer driver set available than 157 for the exD DSD DAC?

Does anyone have a thought about if this is because I'm using Windows 8 rather than Windows 7, perhaps?  I'm a Windows noob am not quite sure on these things...

Thanks,
John

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2013, 12:25 am »
Run in compatibility mode (Windows 7)...right click and go to compatibility

InfernoSTi

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2013, 01:16 am »
Thank you, Ted.  That didn't resolve the issue, unfortunately.

Jesus at Sonore sent me a series of questions and even had me test it back on the Mac Mini (which is still going great now that the USB port issue got resolved).  He said he is working on it but that it might take a few days.  Great guy, Jesus.  Really fantastic customer service.

If it turns out to be a Windows 7 vs 8 issue, I'll just get another copy of Windows (this time 7 pro).  Others have not had this issue so it is odd...

John

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2013, 01:37 am »
I ran it in Windows 7 compatibility mode and it installed.    You'll need to reboot.  You did all that?  It installed but still isn't working? (screen cap from web article; not my idea to do XP)

InfernoSTi

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2013, 02:19 am »
I'm doing a complete clean install of Windows 8 Pro now...I deleted the old partitions within the install program.  Just making sure since I had a bit of difficulty the first several times I did the install (not a Windows guy).  Once I do that, I'll give it another try just like you show (that was the screen I found).  I'll see if I can capture the error screen if it doesn't work as there may be a clue there, also.  I'll try the reboot afterwards, too.

Thanks a bundle, Ted! 

John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2013, 03:17 am »
Here are some photos of what is happening:

Sorry about the sideways photo:

ted_b

• Facilitator

InfernoSTi

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2013, 04:28 am »
Ted, you are amazing (I know, you hear that ALL the time)!  That worked to install the drivers.  I'm editing the instructions here for those that may search for the same info later:

The message pops up when trying to install Sonore exD USB drivers that haven't been "signed". Windows 8 Pro 64 bit enforces code signing more rigorously than the 32 bit version. To get around this error and install the unsigned USB drivers for your DAC follow these instructions.

Move your mouse to the upper or lower right corner of the screen. When the Charms menu appears click on the Gear icon, usually the bottom icon. On the following little screen select More PC Settings.

After than a screen with several options on the left will appear. Select General on the left menu. Scroll to the bottom on the right and select Restart Now under Advanced Startup.

Your PC will appear to restart then popup another menu with options. Select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Windows Startup Settings, then Restart.

Once the PC restarts select the option (number 7) that says Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. When Windows boots you'll be able to install the USB drivers for your USB DAC. Restarting after than will return the PC to its normal code enforcement policy.

When you run the Setup for the USB drivers, right click, go to Permissions, then go to the Compatibility tab, then select Run Compatibility Mode: Windows 7, then select Run As Administrator.

The USB drivers will install. Then you reboot. Then you play music....

Best,
John

« Last Edit: 12 May 2013, 07:09 am by InfernoSTi »

InfernoSTi

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2013, 06:35 am »
Well, I can play PCM great now.  DSD...not so much.  Same issue I had with the Mac: it is playing but no audio. That turned out to be a USB Port issue.  I'm still waiting for my PCIe USB port to arrive.  I'm hoping that will solve the DSD problem.  One problem down, one to go!  Not a bad night's work and I'm certainly able to listen to music on my bare bones CAPS now.  I'm sure the rest will all come together...

John

EDIT:  I did get some scratchy playback of DSD by removing all the peripheries (no other USB, monitor, etc).  That leads me to believe when my USB card arrives, things will start looking up...

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2013, 12:58 pm »
Mak sure you have bitstream set to DoP when NOT using ASIO (ie WASAPU Eevent-Style or Kernel Streaming), and bitstream set to "DSD" (not DoP) when set to ASIO.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #34 on: 5 Jun 2013, 04:27 am »
Just a quick comment on the CAPS V2+ unit...it plays nice with my Teac (PCM and DSD).  The only trouble I have is up sampling to 384kHz causes a lot of mid-play buffering, an issue I do not have with my Mac Mini.  If I set it 192kHz, no buffering issues (nor are there issues with DSD files, even double DSD). 

I'm going to keep trying the Sonore but know it isn't my CAPS unit causing the issue.

Best,
John