New Electric Service....

Nick77

New Electric Service....
« on: 28 Apr 2013, 08:34 pm »
Just turned in an establish service request to our power company for our new 4 bedroom 2 bath home.. Also just got back several new electric bids. I raised red flags on the lowest (chosen) contractor cause he spec'ed out 14/2 wire with 200 amp service main panel and 70 amp sub panel for all 110.

Around here they will run an exterior 200 amp panel for 220 service and then install a sub-panel in garage for 110 service. The lease house im in currently has a 200 amp sub panel in the garage with only 1/3 of spaces used, seems a bit much for 110 service only.

Wouldn't you raise red flags on 14/2 wiring and a 70 amp sub-panel?? Builder felt it was pretty much standard for 110 service, he said he has done 50 amp on a few homes. Im thinking at LEAST 125 amp sub panel and bumping up the main service entry to 225 amp since its an all electric house. I also have asked for heavy use areas to be upgraded to 12/2.

Are my concerns unwarranted?? Need advise please....

4 Ton A/C
Electric furance
Electric water heater
Septic stub out
All electric appliances...

Thanks........

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: New Electric Service....
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:26 am »
What's your general location?
It's not 110 Volts anymore!  Decades ago it was 110, then 115 which drifted to 117 then 120, but now everything is labeled 125V.
Bottom dollar electricians like to use 14/2 Romex®(NM) because they can run it a lot quicker and they can use those junk back-stab receptacles (no wire screws).

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »
      What's your general location?                 

Austin

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2013, 12:58 am »
People in Austin use lots of electricity!  All the outlet circuits should be 20 Amps.  The lighting circuits can be 15 Amps, because lights are getting more and more efficient.  All the breaker panels should hodl about 40 full-size breakers. None of those small dual-breakers.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2013, 01:00 am »
That explains it!    :lol:

Lemme see if I have this right.........we are packing more and more electronic toys into new homes and he wants to run 14ga??  I thought that was only good for switch loops.   :scratch:

I'm a firm believer in overbuilding so that you're ready for humongous amps or similar toys that may come down the road.  You're the customer; the job shouldn't be dictated by what is easier for your contractor to run

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2013, 01:10 am »
People in Austin use lots of electricity!  All the outlet circuits should be 20 Amps.  The lighting circuits can be 15 Amps, because lights are getting more and more efficient.  All the breaker panels should hodl about 40 full-size breakers. None of those small dual-breakers.

Precisely what i thought, lights only on 14/2 only. Is 125 amp sub panel large enough?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2013, 01:24 am »
My house was built 12 years ago. I've got a 200 amp service, with 12g throughout.
The breaker-box will hold (40) breakers. Some of which (most of which) are taken up with double "bin" breakers that have consumed my ability to add addition circuits.
The downside, is that I have to splice off an existing circuit to add more outlets. A definite "no-no" in the electrical world.

Suffice it to say, you need as may open holes as they'll allow you to have.
I was in negotiations a few years back with my electric company to install a 400 amp box.
The problem was, that I would need a larger transformer on my pole, but the pole I had wasn't larger enough to support the weight of a transformer that big.
Which means I'd need to have a new pole installed.
Plus, I'd have to have a larger PVC conduit underground, since the one I have will only hold a 200 amp cable.
That meant trenching the front yard.

It *almost* meant that much to me to have the larger service, but once the estimates started rolling in, I threw in the towel.

Bottom line: pay now, play later.

Bob

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2013, 02:27 am »
Precisely what i thought, lights only on 14/2 only. Is 125 amp sub panel large enough?
I don't know! That's why the good electrician's make the big bucks.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2013, 02:29 am »
Lemme see if I have this right.........we are packing more and more electronic toys into new homes and he wants to run 14ga??  I thought that was only good for switch loops.   :scratch:
That's switch loops for lighting circuits.
While on this subject.  Switch outlets in lighting circuits now need both a Neutral and a Ground wire.