Exodus in the house (literally)

bubba966

« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2004, 02:30 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Ok, although UPS tried their best to stop them, the amps finally arrived.   :D

Kevin, you might want to think of going with a little sturdier boxes.  Mine were ripped at the seams and had some holes.  Luckily the foam inserts saved the day and there is nary a nick or scratch!

Not using UPS also helps things arrive in one piece...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2004, 09:01 pm »
George/Zybar,

Your Bent Noh pre might be the ticket for the Exodus...the gain, at 33db, is quite high for most active preamps with gain.

I have the IRD Purist and have not enjoyed things for the past few days here in the '2' setting....the settting that has sounded (by far, the) best with 3 amps in my setup.  Very clearly the '1' setting on the IRD is the ticket here. The '1' setting corresponds to a 0 db gain; the '2' setting is a 6 db gain (adds too much 'gunk' into the proceedings).

I had chalked up all the unpleasantness to dreaded BlackGate break-in...clearly it has to do with other matters, too...like preamp gain.

This amp is very pre dependent and I think your NOH may be the perfect compliment to it.  Or, as perfect as it can be for proper evaluation of the amp.

KEVIN, do you mostly use your Django Transformer Volume Control and Line Stage with your Exodus?  Does it differ in the 0 or 6 db gain setting to your ears? I'm finding that same choice to be fairly dramatic in my enjoyment of things.

:guitar:

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jul 2004, 01:43 pm »
The TVCs are a great solution but there is more than just the amp & TVC to consider.   I've noticed profound differences from switching sources.   Some are comfortable driving the load and others are not.  

The issues don't have so much to do with gain.... although that can be a problem also.  It is the impedance matching that is the issue.   Look at the S&B information.

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/page102.htm

I've rarely found a situation where I like the 6db gain switch enabled because your cutting the input impedance in half when using it.

From the S&B web page listed above.

"In the case of operation with 6dB of gain and with 10kOhm load on the output the worst-case load impedance on the source will be 2500 Ohm plus copper losses. This is a very severe loading and many items of consumer electronic will not be able to drive such a load adequately! It is thus recommended that the 6db step-up load be used only with relatively high impedance loads (> 40kOhm) for the TX-102, like for example Valve Amplifiers. If the 6db step-up connection is to be used with a 10k load on the output the preceding coupling capacitor should be no smaller than 10uF. "

I'd say in most cases a good active line stage with very little or no gain is going to be the best match with these.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2004, 05:58 am »
So what is the latest on the Exodus ??
    All of a sudden......nothing ??? :? [/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2004, 04:18 pm »
Bump.

So how is the Exodus sounding?

George

Wombat_VC

Exodus Amp. What Exodus Amp?
« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:00 am »
Looks like the digital amp has just disappeared from the face of the earth. The DIYCable website no longer mentions it.

Kevin P

« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:37 pm »
I'm sorry.... I've been busy and not monitoring this board as of late.

The digital amp has been a real mess.   We had the snafu with the clock sync boards to begin with.   Most of the people who bought them returned them for a refund and we have been recovering fromt he financial mess this has created in our cash flow.  

We pulled the amp from the line-up for now until we sort out all the problems.  Even after we get the problems sorted out I'm not sure we will offer a finished version.   We are likely to stick with a kits only.    LC Audio offers a finished version for those who desire a finished product.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about that Kevin.

I wish things had turned out differently.

Best of luck.

George

Kevin P

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:57 pm »
Thanks George....

Sometimes things don't work as planned.   We just need to re-trench and move on and hopefully learn from the experience.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:43 pm »
So, I have a collectors item now?  :wink:

Kevin P

« Reply #30 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:18 am »
I thought you were sending your's back?    

Give me a call and we can straighten it out.

360-452-9373

TheChairGuy

« Reply #31 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:02 am »
Kevin,

You probably meant to write me back after I sent you my PM a few weeks ago, but given your hectic schedule...may not have (or I didn't see it in my box, at least).

I didn't want to press the subject after what you had gone thru with this. I feel for us entrepeneurs rather deeply and acutely.

I'll give you a buzz tomorrow....it probably doesn't have but another 50 hours on it since I got it back. Thanks.

John