LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #300 on: 16 Dec 2013, 01:01 am »
David, et al.. this subject has reminded me that I need to follow up on it.  Brad's Revelation Audio Labs cable was problematic with my Antelope Gold a couple years ago, even though Antelope said they don't require USB 5V power.  What I found out is that a ground connection was required to confirm the pc-DAC handshake, then the signal side (of a dual conduit, for example) could be used alone (i.e I pulled the power).  So when I tried single only the ground was not established.  Brad was gonna re-design, but then I lost track of where we were on the thing.  His cables were wonderful when they worked.  :)

dminches

« Reply #301 on: 16 Dec 2013, 01:05 am »
I will try it that way.

parisphoto

« Reply #302 on: 16 Dec 2013, 01:53 am »
Please post your findings.

dminches

« Reply #303 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:08 am »
So here's what I found. Similar to what Ted experienced with his antelope gold, the power leg (or ground) must be connected between the DAC and the Lampi for the handshake. Once the connection is made it can be removed. It isn't very practical to do that so I am leaving it connected.

Ted, maybe now is the time for you to reconnect with Brad on this. I wonder if he can have the 2 data leads and the power ground on one leg and the positive from the power on the other.

Audioclyde

« Reply #304 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:15 am »
Dminches,

Does the RAL cable work with the Lampi with no pops or other noises?  I had Brad's 2 leg cable and really liked the sound with a prior DAC, but when I went with the AMR dp-777, the cable wouldn't work. If it works with the Lampi, I'll likely be getting another RAL cable!

Thanks!

Randy

dminches

« Reply #305 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:20 am »
Randy, so far so good, but give me a couple days of listening before I commit.

David

Audioclyde

« Reply #306 on: 17 Dec 2013, 01:28 am »
Thanks David; I'll watch for your update.

guf

« Reply #307 on: 20 Dec 2013, 08:15 pm »
Do you guys leave your dac power toggle switch on all day? Or for days at a time or just turn it on when having listening sessions?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #308 on: 20 Dec 2013, 08:19 pm »
Do you guys leave your dac power toggle switch on all day? Or for days at a time or just turn it on when having listening sessions?

I'd rather not have the hours on the tubes so I power on and off at each session.

wisnon

« Reply #309 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:14 am »
BRM, tube longevity is NOT a problem, given that the tubes are run at 25% of rated capacity. It's way more of a problem with too much on/off switching, as each time there is a likelihood of an air molecule entering the vacuum and that will eventually kill the tube.

Leave it on, unless you know you wont be listening for 2 or more days in the immediate future. That is the advice LF gave from way back.

findog3103

« Reply #310 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:52 am »
Where is this toggle switch you speak of? I just use the remote to turn it on and off.

guf

« Reply #311 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:56 am »
Where is this toggle switch you speak of? I just use the remote to turn it on and off.

Mine has one on the back panel, but i have the volume and remote so i also turn it off/on from there.

dminches

« Reply #312 on: 21 Dec 2013, 02:22 am »
Speaking of tubes, I am not a big fan of the ECC40 sockets. The actual socket connector does not fill the entire socket hole and that makes it diffucult to align the 8 pins on the tube. It took me 20 minutes to replace the pair of tubes. I much prefer the larger octal sockets, like what is used for a 6SN7.

wisnon

« Reply #313 on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:10 pm »
Speaking of tubes, I am not a big fan of the ECC40 sockets. The actual socket connector does not fill the entire socket hole and that makes it diffucult to align the 8 pins on the tube. It took me 20 minutes to replace the pair of tubes. I much prefer the larger octal sockets, like what is used for a 6SN7.

You have to line up the little bulge to get it to fit. That is why they are marked with red or green sharpies on both the tube and socket to secure the correct alignment easily.

No, in the Dac its a breeze compared to say a 1960s TV set where you had to replace a dozen tubes without the benefit of actually seeing all the socket! Imagine a small opening an a large TV cabinet and you have to stick your arm in blind to replace a tube?? Nightmare.

All in all, the ECC40s sound great though and are cheap. Try to score some TUNGSRAM tubes David.

dminches

« Reply #314 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:31 pm »
Orienting the tube properly is not the issue.  If you look in the socket you see the sleeves that the pins slide into.  These sleeves do not fill the entire socket hole so it is possible that the pin can hit the top edge of the sleeve.  And, the sleeves are not all positioned the same in each socket hole.

When I removed the stock tubes the pins were not all parallel. Several of them were push to one side or the other. That means when I put the new tube in some of the pins will have to bend.

I did get a couple pair of Tungsrams and I am burning them in now.

wisnon

« Reply #315 on: 21 Dec 2013, 05:35 pm »
Now, I understand. Agreed.

dminches

« Reply #316 on: 21 Dec 2013, 05:46 pm »
I was concerned that my explanation wouldn't be coherent.

rbbert

« Reply #317 on: 21 Dec 2013, 07:22 pm »
Pardon my curiosity, I'm not a Lampi owner nor do I anticipate being one soon, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere (here at AC?  I can't remember) that Lukasz recommended against tube rolling in his products?  Has he changed that position?

dminches

« Reply #318 on: 21 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
yes

wisnon

« Reply #319 on: 23 Dec 2013, 03:20 am »
Pardon my curiosity, I'm not a Lampi owner nor do I anticipate being one soon, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere (here at AC?  I can't remember) that Lukasz recommended against tube rolling in his products?  Has he changed that position?

You can roll within the class of tubes used. At one time the design did not encourage rolling, but the latest editions you can roll like for like rectis, ie 5y3 cant be rolled with 6x5 or vice versa, just with different brands of the same. You can also roll the different brands of output tubes, ie Tungsram vs Mullard ECC40s.

So the position can change as the design principles change.