sound of Lower power amp vs the Higher power amp

simonleemd

« on: 8 Jul 2004, 10:59 pm »
Hi, Here is a question that has been puzzling me from time to time (I thought I know the correct answer all right,YET honestly, I really DON'T). Amp-A is rated 160W into 8 Ohm;Amp-B is rated 250W into 8 Ohm (they both from the same manufacturer). By using a spkr of 89dB sensitivity; on playing same tract of music from a CD using same Preamp;
the Preamp Volume was on 8:30 O'clock postion/while pairing with Amp-B; in order to get the same sound level, does one have to crank the Preamp's Volume to way passed the 8:30 Oclock position when using the Amp-A ?? and if the answer is YES ;would the lower power amp deliver more/better Bass than the higer power Amp??
I really need your explaination ,and thanks in advance
Simon

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2004, 01:40 am »
Chances are, that if the amps are from the same manufacturer- they will have the same sonic signature. The 250w amp will have approx. 2db more headroom for peaks and might have better bass.

With 89db speakers, 160w should be more than enough to impair you hearing, though.

What are the speakers? Which amps? How big is your room?

WEEZ

simonleemd

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:17 am »
Thanks WEEZ. The amps that I was referring are AVA FetValve 350 EXR and 550 EXR respectively(Audio Van Alstine),my spkr is German made Ascent850 -floorstander,without sub ,my listening room is 16x 14 feet ;height is 12.5 feet . If you have further opinion and suggestions I would be most happy to hear it and thanks
Simon
  PS- I know the lesser power-160W should be enough ,yet whether the more power 250W  would sound SIGNIFICANTLY better ?? If I get the lesser power one and I crank the Preamp volume up ,would I be getting equally good sound( including equally good bass )as with the more power one ??

simonleemd

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:22 am »
Whoops . Sorry I forgot to indicate that my spkr is made by Quadral - its Quadral Ascent 850 . Please refer to www.quadral.com for details
Thanks

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2004, 01:12 pm »
You might try contacting AVA with your question- but I think the 160w would be plenty.

The setting of the volume control doesn't mean much- it's just there to set volume.

Those are interesting speakers....

WEEZ

WerTicus

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2004, 02:19 pm »
yeah 250w will sounds significantly better with much improved impact in the bass area especially with drums and so fourth... hell i have just gone from 510w to 1020wrms a channel and the improvment is huge though i am not breaking past 200wrms in most cases... though it might be peaking at 400w ish.

people who tell you it wont matter have not heard what head room does :P

and also its nice to know i can make myself profoundly deaf it i want to and do it with total clarity... then again the speakers can handle 1000w peaks (apparently) so maybe it wont sound so good on your system but hey... it cant hurt!

simonleemd

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2004, 03:29 pm »
Thanks WerTicus. Supposed with the 250Watter,I set the Preamp volume to 8:30 position and this is optimal sound level for me; by using the 160 Watter, I crank the Preamp volume control to 9:30 or even slightly more(at this setting supposed  I get the SAME sound level as with the 250 Watter);would I be getting a better Bass reproduction??(perhaps). But then again, the MORE volume  would  render sonic distorsion ?

I have been suggested by the amp manufacturer that "there is absolutely no sonic differences between the 160 Watter and the 250 Watter Amp ;
 Unless you have very inefficient speakers, there is no reason at all to choose the 250 Watter amplifier and pay the higher cost."
I would like very much to know more of your experiences in using the Lower power vs the Higher power amp- whats the sonic differences if any ?
Thanks in advance
Simon

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 06:00 pm »
I agree with Werticus. Having alot of headroom is audible unless you listen to low levels only. I can't listen to any clipping at all and if your speakers put out low bass it's quite noticeable. Even a 200wpc amp I had would clip at loud levels and it just ruins the experience.  If you crank it a bit a times then buy all the power you can afford.

WerTicus

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2004, 03:32 am »
i dont understand what your trying to say with the pre amp volume levels and i dont think this is even relevant.

As for the manufacturer saying that the 160 vs 250w sound the same then you'll have to take their word on that one.

All the 250w will give you without a doubt is better bass and when your pushing the 160w to its limits and its sounding harsh the 250w will not be breaking sweat. its really that simple.

Buy the 250w... hell i would look at more power than that if your running full range speakers...

My speakers are 89db too!  and i found 510w to be satifying... previouly i had 150w and its really no contest!

But even though i NEVER clip the 510w amp adding another 510w to the mix just made it that much more effortless... and it was worth it.

YOU CAN ALWAYS USE MORE POWER :)

just be careful you dont go deaf :P  

however if your not really 'using' your stereo and your music or speakers dont contain bass information (or cant reproduce it anyways)  then 160w would be fine no doubt!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Ah geeze, such great misinformation.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2004, 03:30 pm »
With a Fet Valve 350EXR Rev5 and a Fet Valve 550EXR Rev5 and an 89 dB efficient speaker, spending the extra money on the 550 is just plain overkill.

The gain of both amps is identical, therefore they will play at exactly the same level at the same setting of the volume control.

The circuit designs are identical and the muscial performance is identical.

The only difference is a bigger power transformer to support the higher power requirements of the 550 and the upgrade in voltage/current capacity of some parts to support the higher power use.  The difference is about an 8 volt increase in peak voltage swing with the 550, and since the 350 actually puts out near 200 watts per channel, way more than an 89 dB speaker ever needs, spending more money for the bigger amp is just a waste.

I think the other people here are comparing apples to tangerines.  Most have never hear the Fet Valve amps and they are also likely comparing amplifiers of different circuit designs, not amplifiers where ONLY the power rating is the difference.

If it will make you happier buying a gazillion watt monster from somebody else for a gazillion doilars, go ahead and do that.

We are not going to try and take money from you for something that will not make a useful improvment in your musical listening experinece.

Note that you can later upgrade a 350 amp to a 550 amp of the same status for just the difference in price between the two amps.

Geeze what more can we say to assure you?

Frank Van Alstine

westcoast

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2004, 05:07 pm »
Right on, Frank . . . Simon, so buy the 350 already, and spend the rest of your money on discs or CD's!   :D

WerTicus

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2004, 11:52 pm »
spend it on flowers for your wife :)