The Original SupaCharged MTM

ricardojoa

Re: The Original SupaCharged MTM
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2013, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Rick. For the sub I am going with a minidsp, but would like to stay away from unnecessary AD/DA conversion.  I'm a bit hesitant about using the analog sections and dacs on cheaper DSP's, so I thought the analog Marchand was a good choice. And most importantly, I can afford it. I understand there is also DEQX, but that is way out of reach for me. The Prestigios will be with me for a long time, so if you believe that the Marchand with 2nd order 80hz high pass will pair well with the Prestigios, I think I am set on it unless you can throw me some others that I should read up on... I would appreciate that. Thanks Rick for your advice from day one. I am enjoying the Prestigios immensely.

Have you thought about emotiva umc 200. It is a processor but do high pass/low pass in digital, it has peq for all channels. No need to do ADC.

danny01

« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2013, 02:28 am »
Have you thought about emotiva umc 200. It is a processor but do high pass/low pass in digital, it has peq for all channels. No need to do ADC.

I haven't. I had the UMC-1. I thought the PEQ was great, but other than that it wasn't so good. I compared the sound from the UMC-1 to the Parasound + XDA-2 combo, and I much preferred the pure 2 channel front end. I don't think I would use an ssp in my 2ch setup. But I appreciate the input. I think I will be going with the Marchand for high pass and Minidsp for low pass/sub eq and use the XDA-2 as a pre.

ricardojoa

« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2013, 10:59 am »
I haven't. I had the UMC-1. I thought the PEQ was great, but other than that it wasn't so good. I compared the sound from the UMC-1 to the Parasound + XDA-2 combo, and I much preferred the pure 2 channel front end. I don't think I would use an ssp in my 2ch setup. But I appreciate the input. I think I will be going with the Marchand for high pass and Minidsp for low pass/sub eq and use the XDA-2 as a pre.

Thats a good input to me, because i thought about going that route.

danny01

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:08 am »
Emailed Marchand about the xm46xlr. I linked him to the graph of the of bass response of the sealed Prestigios and he recommended a 150hz filter! Although my subs can easily be EQ'ed to play flat up to 300hz, 150hz seems way high. Even at 80hz, I feel that I can localize the bass with both subs stacked in the corner. I am considering placing a sub(since I have two identical subs) under each speaker with a short stand in between and running the subs in stereo. But even with that setup 150hz seems way high. Any thoughts?

I ordered a mic from cross spectrum and will run REW as soon as it comes in just to see exactly where the Prestigio's -3db point is in my room.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2013, 01:58 pm »
Emailed Marchand about the xm46xlr. I linked him to the graph of the of bass response of the sealed Prestigios and he recommended a 150hz filter! Although my subs can easily be EQ'ed to play flat up to 300hz, 150hz seems way high. Even at 80hz, I feel that I can localize the bass with both subs stacked in the corner. I am considering placing a sub(since I have two identical subs) under each speaker with a short stand in between and running the subs in stereo. But even with that setup 150hz seems way high. Any thoughts?

I ordered a mic from cross spectrum and will run REW as soon as it comes in just to see exactly where the Prestigio's -3db point is in my room.

They might have suggested that based on the transfer function of their filter. One thing you have to watch out for with doing room measurements is that the resolution at low frequencies is often not very accurate. Using dual subs as bases is very easy for a 150hz crossover provided your woofer has the bandwidth for that. A simple nearfield measurement with the mic 1/4" from the center of the cone will help you verify the bandwidth.

danny01

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:12 pm »
Delete
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2014, 07:44 pm by danny01 »