How should I setup a 2 channel music/HT system?

driggity

« on: 8 Jul 2004, 05:03 pm »
So I'm looking to upgrade from my not so good Kenwood HTIB that I've been using for a few years.  My main concern is music quality and the more I've thought about it the more I've realized that maybe I don't even need 5 channels for DVD watching.

I originally thought about using a DVD (or universal) player, telling it that only the left and right channel are active and using the analog connection for those two channels to connect to a stereo preamp or integrated amp.  But I'm not sure if this would get me the best sound for movies.  Would I be better off sending a digital multichannel signal to a home theater receiver and letting that do the downmixing to two channels?  If I did this I could use an integrated amp or preamp/amp combo directly for 2 channel audio.  I have read about a number of people on this board using that sort of a setup but they all seem to be using the receiver to drive the center and surround channels which is something I don't need to do.

I'm not sure exactly how much I want to spend on everything but I'm looking at speakers in the $1-1.5K range, and a DVD or universal player in the $500 range.

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2004, 10:29 pm »
I have separated my audio and HT systems, but the HT system is still just 2.1.  My 95% priority is audio.  I don't watch much.  It took 4 months after adding the HT equipment for anyone else in the family to ask what it was.  We still almost never turn the HT system on beyond the TV except for action movie DVDs.  Oviously having separate systems allows for two different uses in two different rooms at once.

I recently heard my first multi-channel SACD and was not impressed.  A should be expected, the side/rear 4 channels added nothing as it was a studio recording.  Most watching is also of events in front of you.

And I had a budget similar to your's when I last shopped for a new audio/HT system, abet 4 years ago.  I decided that for $1,500 I'd be far better off with two good speakers than 5.1 crummy ones (that's a personal decision).  Nowadays I'm not so sure.  Because I now have $328/pair Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's with Hsu VTF-2 sub for the HT system and the 170's are really very good speakers.  For $1,200 you can get (4) 170's, the VTF-2, and the matching (double 170) center channel.  If this stuff would have been around 4 years ago I would still have a combined system.

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2004, 11:22 pm »
Ever since I got the Decware Select SET amp and Parker 95 MK II's as my second system, I have used it with a 22" LCD TV as my bedroom HT.  I have a 5.1 HT system that gets the bulk of the movie watching but 2.1 ain't bad.  I have fallen in love with the SET sound but it does reduce your choice of speakers enormously.  I have been thinking about selling off my present 5.1 setup in favor of a 300B SET and a pair of Cain & Cain Abbeys plus a sub because I feel like the enormous soundstage  provided in such a setup would more than offset the loss of the additional channels.    
I use the analog outputs (stereo) of my Toshiba 3950 for DVD's in the 2.1 system.  My preamp had an additional output added for the sub which is also controlled by the gain knob (and its own amp gain.)
I use the digital output in the 5.1 system and the receiver does the decoding but I guess you could only use left and right fronts its just that if the first few watts suck why bother.   I think the argument re: two good channels versus 5 or 7 mediocre channels has been done to death but "Chacun a son Gout."

driggity

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:43 pm »
Thanks for the input so far guys (and sorry for posting this in the wrong forum).

JLM, I realize that I probably could get a good 5.1 setup for about the same price but I'd really just rather look at 2 (or 2.1) channel options.  For my listening I don't think I'll miss the extra channels and I'd rather put the money into better quality speakers/amplification.  What sort of receiver or processor do you use in your 2.1 hometheater setup.  

lcrim, when you use the analog outs on the 3950 (in the 2.1 system) do you just play the stereo track on DVD or does the player downmix the 5.1 track (be it DD or DTS)?  I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by this statement "I guess you could only use left and right fronts its just that if the first few watts suck why bother".  If the first few watts of what sucks?  And why bother with what?

Again, thanks for the help so far.  :D

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2004, 12:47 pm »
driggity:
The analog outputs are the outputs which utilize the internal DAC on the player and are therefore stereo only-left and right.  My preamp allows me to switch between stereo sources (plus offering some gain.)  The sub actually receives a full range signal as well but because it has an adjustable slope and gain, I can choose the frequency at which to cut off reproduction as it is designed for low frequency only.  This is a common feature in subs.
The first few watts of output from an amp are what you are listening to except for musical peaks.  If those first few watts suck then the quality of your reproduction suffers.  So spending all your budget on speakers and trying to power them with an inexpensive mass market receiver may leave you underwhelmed.  The recent advent of digital amplification has altered this equation.  There are some very inexpensive digital amps (Tripath for instance) which when combined with some of the more efficient speakers like the Hornshoppe Horns or the Omega speaker line, both of whom have pages on this forum, could provide really high quality at less than dizzying prices.
I personally like the tone produced by the Single Ended Triode (or Topology) amplifiers which have, for the most part, very low outputs and thus require very efficient speakers to retain the dynamics in the music.  But like I said earlier, "Chacun a son Gout."  There are innumerable paths to audio bliss.

Hope this helps.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2004, 11:17 am »
Drig,

I'm using a Harmon Kardon 3370 receiver in my 2.1 HT system that I bought factory reconditioned for $160 delivered.  It weighs 35 pounds, rated 70 wpc, 42 amps, and has sub output.  Lost the left channel twice, but HK arranged for local repair both times under the two year warrantee and told me it would be replaced if it failed again.  That much was a hassle, but the sound quality and the tuner's ability to pull in stations just using the "T" antenna stretched out on the basement floor behind the system borders on amazing.  The controls on the receiver are CHEESY, but if you use the remote who cares for the price?  BTW HK as a company has a history of coming up with the occasional great/grounbreaking product.