Ideal room size for SS8, SS10 and SS12

AliG

Ideal room size for SS8, SS10 and SS12
« on: 2 Apr 2013, 10:14 pm »
Gents,
     Hope y'all (Salk fan) are doing well?? I have been absent from this forum for a while but now I'm itching to get my hands on a pair of Soundscape.  My room size is 15 x 26x9 (feet). I wonder which Soundscape will fit the bill?

Currently I am still running my HT3 through through the following system and I see no reason to upgrade yet, but I trust Jim and my friend Bob when they said that the SS is an upgrade over the HT3.

Best regards
   Barry

Nuance

Re: Ideal room size for SS8, SS10 and SS12
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:43 am »
In your room I foresee no issues with any of the SoundScape speakers.  If you place them similar to the HT3's you'll be just fine.

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2013, 02:49 am »
Hey Barry,

Good to see ya back. I too took a hiatus and still have my HT3's.

From what I see SS lineup should not have nearly the setup issues as an HT3, IMHO
But as you know room treatments are still always beneficial.

Cheers

fsimms

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:10 pm »
Big Red says of the SS8:

“And some smartass is going to ask: how big of a room will these work in?  Hell if I’m an expert.  I’m not even a first mate on this ship.  If held at knifepoint I’d venture a 16 x 24 x 10 room is too big if you are expecting tons of bass.  Best to dig deeper into Davey’s chest of gold for the 12’s matey.  Not that the 8’s don’t deliver, but that is a pretty decent room to fill.  And the blasphemers will add a sub!”

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92931.msg1074395#msg1074395

Edit:  With my room going into the hallway and the kitchen and a open den attached, I probably have as much volume as you.  I also have 10 foot ceilings.  My SS10s do a great job with the bass.  I have a sub that I don't use as the 10s do such a fine job.  I sit further away from speakers than you do too.

Bob

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:27 pm »
I love my SS8 but if  my room is as big as your, I would go for the King. Enough to said, it doesn't matter if it is 8s, 10s or 12s you will be a very happy camper.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:53 am »
Barry

Like you I have a roughly 15 x 27 ft room and went from HT3 s to Soundscape 10s

The Ss10s disappear even more into the room. The dual passive radiators appear to give a fuller dispersion of the low end. The rear mid range open baffle option can give you more depth. The rounded edge of the mid and ribbon tweeters allows them to project very well beyond axis

The bass will sound just fine in a room that size
You will want to have significant power running these. That extra low end from  27  - 22 hz is power hungry.

The sound is incredible and they will work nice in your room dimension

Do you put your speakers on the short or long wall? 
I use the long wall - set up around my front windows and it really removes the side first arrival.
You do have to treat the area behind the listener

Enjoy your pursuit and welcome back

AliG

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:28 pm »
Thanks you guys, sounds like I need at least a SS10 :D

Audiotom, I place my speakers along the short wall. What you saw in my picture is not the latest positions of my speakers. I have now place the HT3 about 2/3 into the room, so they're very far from the back wall. And  the speakers themselves are about 8.5 ft apart, so they are about 3 ft away from side walls. Doing this creates the best 3D image in my room.

One thing that may steer me towards SS12 is the extra sensitivity, the HT3 is already a difficult beast to drive and SS10 is no better in this respect. But all in all, what I need to find out from Jim is, how long is it going to take him to build one. Because the ship is leaving in September  :scratch:

barry