Ed Saunders Red Ed Ellyptical Cartridge

Rocket

Ed Saunders Red Ed Ellyptical Cartridge
« on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:22 am »
Hi Guys,

Just came across the cartridge on the internet while doing some research on a cheap cartridge for my Bluenote Piccolo turntable.  I want to use this cartridge while I save up for a really good quality cartridge for my turntable and I'm wondering if anyone has tried a Ed Saunders cartridge.

http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm

Thanks

Rod

JackD

Re: Ed Saunders Red Ed Ellyptical Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm »
Here is the same cartridge for half the price in it's original packaging.  Has been around as Goldring Elektra for decades and now as Music Hall Tracker.  Good basic cartridge that does no harm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-TURNTABLE-CARTRIDGE-NEEDLE-Fisher-MG29-MG-29-MG29E-MG-29E-/370646927755?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item564c47498b

Jack

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2013, 10:32 am »
Hi Jack,

Thanks for your replay.  I'll check this out.

Cheers Rod

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm »
Here is the same cartridge for half the price in it's original packaging.  Has been around as Goldring Elektra for decades and now as Music Hall Tracker.  Good basic cartridge that does no harm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-TURNTABLE-CARTRIDGE-NEEDLE-Fisher-MG29-MG-29-MG29E-MG-29E-/370646927755?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item564c47498b

Jack

This cart is actually more expensive than the one in the OP's link     :scratch:

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm »
The cheaper one is the conical.  Trish wants $30 plus shipping for the elliptical.  Scroll down.

a.wayne

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2013, 12:32 am »
Correct Jack,

Conical , eliptical , whats a stylus tip amongst friends ..:)

Regards ...

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2013, 11:44 am »
Hi Guys,

I've had a total backflip and I've ordered a shelter 201 mm cartridge.  I hope it sounds good. 

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Rod

a.wayne

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:52 pm »
Fire and Ice ...................... :lol:

yeldarb

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2013, 06:32 pm »
I mounted the elliptical version on a Technics DD last winter.  The cart sounds so good, I ordered a backup of the same thing.  Decent bass, space and pace.   :icon_lol:

That said, my Grado Blue P-mount on another table sounds better.  But, not a huge amount better.

glrickaby

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:09 am »
A shelter 201 is really a rebadged Sumiko Pearl which has retailed for $100

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2013, 07:45 am »
Ouch, I was hoping no one was going to tell him.

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:35 am »
Hi,

I've read lots about the subject and from what I've read it does look like it is a cartridge that is made by Sumiko to Shelter's specifications.  I think it has a different stylus as well and isn't the exact same.  I have a goldnote babele cartridge packaged with my new turntable and I wanted something a little better.  The goldnote babele cartridge uses an audio technica at 95 body, different motor and better cartridge.  The goldnote is going on my other turntable.

I have a denon dl103 which is unused and I'm going to have it modded by zu in a few months time and it will be my main cartridge if I like it.  I didn't pay full retail on the shelter 201.

Regards Rod

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:36 pm »
Hi,

I've read lots about the subject and from what I've read it does look like it is a cartridge that is made by Sumiko to Shelter's specifications.  I think it has a different stylus as well and isn't the exact same.  I have a goldnote babele cartridge packaged with my new turntable and I wanted something a little better.  The goldnote babele cartridge uses an audio technica at 95 body, different motor and better cartridge.  The goldnote is going on my other turntable.

I have a denon dl103 which is unused and I'm going to have it modded by zu in a few months time and it will be my main cartridge if I like it.  I didn't pay full retail on the shelter 201.

Regards Rod

Hi Rod,
I'm curious about the Babele cart. Only spec I've read is the impedance which is supposed to be 470 ohms and VTF max is 2.4g?  You say you wanted something a little better, have you listened to the Babele, broken it in? 
neo 

glrickaby

Re: Ed Saunders Red Ed Ellyptical Cartridge-Shelter 201
« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2013, 05:36 am »
I've had both the 201 and the Pearl. Recall that both had like a .003 x.008 (or .007)-this may have been the difference-
 on an aluminum shaft. I've played and tested both at the same time and really couldn't tell any difference. I recall there
was a minor difference in the published specifications but marveled that even switching the styli to each other's body
did not produce any difference. The finish on the Shelter 201 is brightened up a bit but it probably brings over twice the
money because of Shelter's reputation. There may be some internal differences but I couldn't hear them. Both have a
"in your face" type of sound with plenty of output which I found tiring and finally sold them. No intent to denigrate your
purchase as we all know cartridges sound different to each hearer and perceived value by the purchaser is what is important.
Sorry about expanding this subject on a Red Ed Forum...

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2013, 08:46 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.  I had read many comparisons between the sumiko pearl and shelter 201 but none were directly compared to the level that you've done.  I paid $168US including shipping and I'm sure if I don't like it I won't take a serious hit.  I'm a bit reluctant to spend much more because I've broken the stylus on my last 2 cartridges.

If I don't like the babele or shelter I'll get my denon dl103 modified by zu.  I'll give some feedback on my comparison between the babele and shelter.

Cheers Rod

glrickaby

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:40 pm »
Agree, you can get close to your money on Audiogon. If you really like the Denon 103, you might not want pay for the Zu modf.
There may be a marginal difference but not night and day plus you still have a 50 + year old conical design. Since this started
out as a Red Ed thread there is obviously a lack of proportion viz the 103 before the Zu modf. even enters the picture. If you
decide to sell your Shelter 201, you can pick up a Denon DL110 at Comet Supply for $90 plus $8 shipping if you don't mind
the up to 6 week wait and you will find the 110 is a much better quality unit, sound wise, more approaching the 103 in quality.
If you break any more styli, do make it the Red Ed though! (ha)

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:23 pm »
Hi,

I think next time before buying a cartridge I'll ask for feedback on the forum.  I don't have a lot of experience with the format even though I was brought up on vinyl.

Thanks Rod