Two delectable audio items for sale.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Two delectable audio items for sale.
« Reply #20 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:48 am »
Somebody actually called at 2AM? That's just bad form.

Depends on what time zone you're in. . .

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:37 pm »
All this said, you are not wrong to opine that often audio language is just chatter. It becomes this when it is overused. When I come across phraseology by reviewers such as "palpable midrange" or "air around the instruments" or "worth two or three times the price" I grimace or yawn. The words have been used so often they become pap--or, said in a different way, they become boringly popularized to the point that, even though they have meaning, we stop noticing their meaning. I think the meaning is clearest when we are using the language in a relaxed attempt to be precise. If I were to say, "The Cardas wire sounds more mellow and warm, but the Grado wire sounds more dynamic and precise," you know what I mean. If I were to gush, "The Cardas wire made me forget I was listening to headphones and focus on the music, while the Grado headphones didn't distract me from the listening to equipment even though I noticed that my toes were tapping," you would be wondering what pen-name I use when writing for the big audio magazines. My point is: audio now has a language, and it can help us appreciate, communicate, and further what audio engineers are trying to develop if we use it, not sparingly, but in a way that is at one and the same time both precise and creative.

Francis,
This section is most meaningful to me. It is this colorful language we've often thrown around carelessly, like candy from a parade float, is what has annoyed me the most from our little hobby. After hearing it and reading it, it has become impossible who actually means what they're saying and who is typing words that make them appear to know what they're talking about. In the end, what matters to me is listening to music on my system. Pretty words don't do anything for me any more.

As far as calling you at two am.....if you were polite to them, you're a better man than I.
If I get a call at that hour, I assume I'll be on my way to meet a family member at the hospital shortly.
Any less than that, we've got a problem.

Bob

Baumli

« Reply #22 on: 5 Apr 2013, 06:54 pm »
Dear Scott,
Yes; somebody called at 2:10 A.M. I don't remember the name. I was polite, but firm about the future. Next time I could hand the phone over to my wife. He would be begging for a mercy killing--anything rather than hearing what she would have to say.

Best,

Francis Baumli

dflee

« Reply #23 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:53 pm »
Francis: were you by chance an english teacher in a previous life?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:58 pm »
Francis: were you by chance an english teacher in a previous life?
Francis is our token smart guy. Every group should have one. It raises the collective IQ of the rest of us.  :thumb:

In all seriousness though, I'd like to shake your hand Mr. Baumli.

Have a great weekend fellas!
Bob

Baumli

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:19 pm »
Dear Bob,
"Token smart guy?" Okay, just so you emphasize the word "token." And keep in mind such things are transient. At the age of 64, senilia could start setting in. Maybe other geriatric maladies too. One is quite common, but I forget what it is.
We'll shake hands again one of these days. Maybe at McGurk's? But let's keep it clean. I'll never forget reading an interview with Erica Jong years ago. This wasn't long after Philip Roth had published "Portnoy's Complaint," and she was asked if she would like to meet him. Her answer was, I thought, very clever, "Yes, but I wouldn't want to shake his hand." (Sometimes I read the mediocre writers too.)

Cheers,

Francis Baumli

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:45 pm »
It's OK, Francis.  BobinStLouis is our token dumb guy, so you pretty much balance the scales.  Kinda brings the group back to an even keel.

Bob IS, however, a helluva good cook and a great host, but smart?  Not so much.  :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:56 am »
 :stupid:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »
 :lol: :lol:

Baumli

« Reply #29 on: 9 Apr 2013, 08:05 am »
Dear dflee,
Sorry, but I didn't see your earlier post.
You ask me if I was an English teacher in a previous life.
How would I know? In all those previous lives I was dead.
It is the case, however, that in this life I work primarily as a writer. Also I translate Latin and French. This explains why my English is so bad.

Cheers,

Francis Baumli