Re: How much power to drive speakers?
« Reply #120 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:08 am »
While were at it, here's the review of the VS110:

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/901/

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #121 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:08 am »
Yep. I'm convinced that "audiophile" is really an acronym for "technically illiterate, not-very-critical listener, highly gullible" in some obscure language.

The problem is that the prevalence of such types starts to either crowd out the good guys. So people buy fetish amps and run boutique wires on special little audiophool wire holders, but drive loudspeakers with midrange mushroom polar patterns and midbass peaks like bad 1980s car stereos.

You really should not be so hard on yourself.   A two second google does not suddenly an expert make.  Besides. your issue with autoformer is with Scotty, not me.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #122 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:09 am »
Lots of hard earth broken here.  Leave the youngins and wimin folk home! 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #123 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:11 am »
I don't put much stock in any as I prefer my ears over science.
Hi Jim,

That is both a contradiction and false.
The scientific method for determining sound preference is by ears. That is, by definition, blind listening. Ears...only.
You do no such thing, as I have explained previously (Unless you are now telling us your equipment selection is based on controlled (ears) listening only?).
The whole "tube vs SS" watts is utter nonsense. A watt is a watt. Dynamic headroom is dynamic headroom. Etc, etc.
Unless this lab is a "meth" variety, the science is quite simple. :lol:

cheers,

AJ

Freo-1

« Reply #124 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:15 am »
I must admit, from my school days, the formula for a watt does not change between tubes and transistors. 

Mike made an excellent point earlier about the rail voltages on a tube amp as opposed to solid state amps. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #125 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:16 am »
Jim, several percent distortion or more at low frequencies will, however influence one's perception of the bass reproduction of such an amplifier with these characteristics. It is important to recognize what one has chosen, whether it is the clipping behavior of the amplifier at the power levels you frequently use or the way the amplifier's distortion profile influences the bass you hear from your favorite loudspeaker.
Scotty

medium jim

« Reply #126 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:20 am »
Hi Jim,

That is both a contradiction and false.
The scientific method for determining sound preference is by ears. That is, by definition, blind listening. Ears...only.
You do no such thing, as I have explained previously (Unless you are now telling us your equipment selection is based on controlled (ears) listening only?).
The whole "tube vs SS" watts is utter nonsense. A watt is a watt. Dynamic headroom is dynamic headroom. Etc, etc.
Unless this lab is a "meth" variety, the science is quite simple. :lol:

cheers,

AJ

Gee, it wasn't me who first commented on the difference between the power capabilities of SS and Tubes.  I prefer Tubes over SS and my ears can tell the difference no matter how much rhetoric you put forth.  What I see here is the Silo Effect (turf wars) which is asinine.   

Jim

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #127 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:22 am »
I must admit, from my school days, the formula for a watt does not change between tubes and transistors. 

Mike made an excellent point earlier about the rail voltages on a tube amp as opposed to solid state amps.
Dynamic headroom most certainly applies to both. There were some SS amps back when (80s?) by Proton and NAD that had in the order of 6db dynamic headroom (so 4X burst vs rms rating).
Coupled with robust power supplies and output transistor banks, they also had low impedance drive ability. IIRC, the "50 watt" Proton could deliver >500w peaks, or >10x its "rated" output.
It's a pity that trend seems to have faded, as music is dynamic, often only a few watts rms are needed, but with much, much higher peaks. At least with music I listen to. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

medium jim

« Reply #128 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:23 am »
Jim, several percent distortion or more at low frequencies will, however influence one's perception of the bass reproduction of such an amplifier with these characteristics. It is important to recognize what one has chosen, whether it is the clipping behavior of the amplifier at the power levels you frequently use or the way the amplifier's distortion profile influences the bass you hear from your favorite loudspeaker.
Scotty

My bass is from a pair of subs x/o at 80hz which is where they integrate best with my mains, so your point is moot.

Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #129 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:25 am »
I stand corrected, in the case of the McIntosh MC501, no apparent problem with saturation exists, it also has superb measured THD vs frequency at 240 watts. It appears to be without fault technically.
Scotty

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #130 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:25 am »
I also think the trend toward having "powered" bass units in speakers is a good one - if the main amp does not have to deal with bass at all, it tends to sound better with the more limited frequency ranges of mids/highs.  Of course, IMO you should kick the passive crossover to the curb entirely and just go fully active, that gives you the most dynamics you can get on a per-watt basis.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #131 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:27 am »
I prefer Tubes over SS and my ears can tell the difference no matter how much rhetoric you put forth.
...and your eyes, pre-conceived notions, what you have read, memory, the price tag, etc, etc.
No role telling these differences (or what was pointed out early, many[not all] tube designs significantly impact the FR)?
Jim, are you stating you listen blind? Or not?

*Scotty*

« Reply #132 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:28 am »
Jim do the Maggies run full range or not in your system, I can't seem to remember and it is not clear from your system listing.
Scotty

medium jim

« Reply #133 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:30 am »
...and your eyes, pre-conceived notions, what you have read, memory, the price tag, etc, etc.
No role telling these differences (or what was pointed out early, many[not all] tube designs significantly impact the FR)?
Jim, are you stating you listen blind? Or not?

Who peed in your cheerio's?  It is nice to know that I'm so important though!

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #134 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:33 am »
Jim do the Maggies run full range or not in your system, I can't seem to remember and it is not clear from your system listing.
Scotty

I don't run them full range, they are passed at 80hz...again, I love all the interest in my system.

Jim

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #135 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:33 am »
Who peed in your cheerio's?
The Red Herring  :wink:

medium jim

« Reply #136 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:39 am »
The Red Herring  :wink:

That started with post#26.....

It's all good....

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #137 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:43 am »
I stand corrected, in the case of the McIntosh MC501, no apparent problem with saturation exists, it also has superb measured THD vs frequency at 240 watts. It appears to be without fault technically.
Scotty
Thanks, Scotty.  That's why I asked.

Rclark

« Reply #138 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:08 am »
Gee, it wasn't me who first commented on the difference between the power capabilities of SS and Tubes.  I prefer Tubes over SS and my ears can tell the difference no matter how much rhetoric you put forth.  What I see here is the Silo Effect (turf wars) which is asinine.   

Jim

Oh please with the innocent act. You're very much a part of any "turf war", in fact you make it a point to embroil yourself in it. Again, your definition of solid state is henceforth invalid. Can't really comment on bluray players when your experience is with VCR's.

Try something modern, in your system, otherwise this whole bent of "this is my opinion on solid state" is pretty much only useful in maybe the retro forum, if we even have one.

medium jim

« Reply #139 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:16 am »
Oh please with the innocent act. You're very much a part of any "turf war", in fact you make it a point to embroil yourself in it. Again, your definition of solid state is henceforth invalid. Can't really comment on bluray players when your experience is with VCR's.

Try something modern, in your system, otherwise this whole bent of "this is my opinion on solid state" is pretty much only useful in maybe the retro forum, if we even have one.

Do you feel better after your tirade? 

Jim