Seas W22EX001 woofer damaged?

abernardi

Re: Seas W22EX001 woofer damaged?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:27 am »
FANTASTIC!  Will do.

Well, back to the original issue.  Last night I plugged the TBI into the wall, doubling the wattage to about 35wpc.  I think I could push it slightly louder, but when I went for a level high enough to be enveloped by this piece, it crackled again.  Would that make sense that doubling the wattage would only make a moderate improvement?  Do I need to be looking at something more in the 100w range?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:50 am »
Doubling the wattage gives 3db of increased sound level, not so much in absolute terms.  However I'm starting to think cabling.  I would start by replacing the speaker wire with whatever's around the house, or buy some 16 ga zip, quality doesn't matter right now.  Then replace the interconnects, again, quality doesn't matter here.  You're looking to find a break in the wire, or in one of the connectors.  Also, do have a receiver or cheap amp around to troubleshoot as well, something to stand in for the TBI?  At my house there's 5 or 6 amps and dozens of cables, I have to remember others haven't been collecting junk as long as I have. 

charmerci

« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:00 am »
FANTASTIC!  Will do.

Well, back to the original issue.  Last night I plugged the TBI into the wall, doubling the wattage to about 35wpc.  I think I could push it slightly louder, but when I went for a level high enough to be enveloped by this piece, it crackled again.  Would that make sense that doubling the wattage would only make a moderate improvement?  Do I need to be looking at something more in the 100w range?

It's only 35wpc if you're using a 24V PS, if it's less, you're not getting 35 watts at all. Watts=amps x voltage. I think the first, quick and easy thing would be to try to use a different amplifier before anything else.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:58 pm »
Yes, I agree.  The absolute amp power doesn't matter so much, just the idea that there's not a lot of volume being added.  I put the trying another amp thing last because I was brainstorming (or brain drizzling in my case) and I just typed it last, but if I did a re-write I might put it first.