TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two

wushuliu

Re: TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two
« Reply #180 on: 23 Oct 2013, 05:19 pm »
Any chance I can get on the tour?

JohnLL

« Reply #181 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:30 am »
Last mention of the TBI was Freo 1 in September. Ozark Tom is the tour still going?

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #182 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:37 am »
Guys (Tom), I would love to have the opportunity to hear this amp as well.
Kind regards,
Guy

Freo-1

« Reply #183 on: 1 Nov 2013, 12:39 am »
I'm ready to  send it to the next person.  I really could not evaluate it properly, as my speakers are either 85 or 86 db/w (all three pairs). 

As soon as I hear back from Tom, I'll send it along.   I did repair the unit, as it arrived in a non-working state.

OzarkTom

« Reply #184 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:36 am »
Thanks Freo1, I will get  that address to you ASAP.

Tom

Freo-1

« Reply #185 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:36 am »
All set to go to the next member.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #186 on: 6 Nov 2013, 02:41 am »
BTW,

Somebody can audition it before me. My system is going through a small change at the moment, and I would like to be able to give this amp my due attention when I can.

Thanks!

Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #187 on: 6 Nov 2013, 03:08 am »
Anand was next on the list. Anybody on the east coast want to be next?

ebag4

« Reply #188 on: 17 Nov 2013, 09:11 pm »
Anand was next on the list. Anybody on the east coast want to be next?

I would like to try this amp, I am in Southern IN near Louisville KY.

Thanks,
Ed

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #189 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm »
hang on ebay4, I made the same comment on Oct. 28  :D

JohnLL

« Reply #190 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:17 am »
Hold your horses Playntheblues, I signed up for this tour in March.

Freo-1

« Reply #191 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:12 pm »
Guys, I'm sending the amp to poseidonsvoice this week, as he is next on the list. 

Tom is in charge of the tour, so he will post the updated list of tour members.   :thumb:

JohnLL

« Reply #192 on: 7 Jan 2014, 06:48 am »
Ozark Tom, the tour appears to have gone into the deep freeze along with the rest of the nation. Tom you are under no obligation to continue the tour but I personally feel you should say something.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #193 on: 7 Jan 2014, 12:00 pm »
Hold your horses. I've sent a few pm's to Tom on whom I should send it to but I have received no reply...

Best,
Anand.

JohnLL

« Reply #194 on: 7 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm »
Hold your horses. I've sent a few pm's to Tom on whom I should send it to but I have received no reply...

Best,
Anand.

OK fair enough. Perhaps my horses were getting a little long in the tooth and jumped the gun. They are back in the stable. Let's see what happens.

rodge827

« Reply #195 on: 8 Jan 2014, 01:30 am »
Hey guys it looks like the last time Tom was on the site was 12/22/13.
Maybe he is on a vacation?  :dunno:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #196 on: 8 Jan 2014, 09:52 pm »
Yeah, you guys are just supposed to send me your amps and whatever other equipment you'd like. I'll take care of it.  :thumb:

But seriously, hope Tom is ok!

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #197 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:03 pm »
OK fair enough. Perhaps my horses were getting a little long in the tooth and jumped the gun. They are back in the stable. Let's see what happens.

I've got the okay from Tom. I need your address John, please pm me thanks.

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #198 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:58 am »
Short of repeating what genjamon and mikeastman have already said in this thread...I agree with both of them. I own NCore 400's as my reference amplifier. My entire system is listed in detail on my systems page. The primary differences I heard were mainly in the midrange which on the TBI MG3 was more 'pleasing' and more 'SET' like. What it lacked however was in inner detail, soundstaging, imaging precision, and the bass was definitely not as extended nor textured as the NCore 400's. However, as Freo-1 has already said, it is not a fair comparison given the price differences of the two amplifiers and more importantly, the power differences. My speakers are 95dB sensitive so they can work easily on 10 watts although the NCores have a sense of 'conviction' which the TBI does not have, even with 95dB sensitive speakers. The other negative with the TBI irrespective of whether I used the AC power supply (with TWL 7+ cord plugged into an UberBuss) or the battery was this high frequency hash or chatter that was audible at my listening position (about 10 feet away) especially on quiet passages. This is definitely not the case with the NCore (which have coffin like silence). This hash was present regardless of which interconnect I used, whether shielded or not. This is an inherent problem with the TBI unit itself. Probably not audible on less sensitive speakers but definitely there and more so than previous amplifiers I have owned such as the SDS254 or the Peter Daniel Gain Clone.

Keep in mind that there is some competition at the TBI's price point of $500. Depending on what you seek, the SDS units are excellent, although they will not have the lush midrange that the TBI provides. In addition, for a little more and a sum total of $800, you can purchase a pair of fully balanced Hypex UCD 180 HG HxR amplifiers with power supply and a good chassis from diyaudio. This comes within a fighting distance of competing with the NCore 400's except for the power differences (90 watts/8 ohms versus 200 watts/8 ohms). I heard a UCD 400 HG HxR compared to an NCore 400 and they were nearly identical except that the NCore was slightly more refined in the top end.

If you like a 300B like sound but with a little more power, the TBI is the unit for you. I prefer more of an 845 or GM70 like presentation. Different strokes for different folks. The NCore 400 is neither of them, but very few amplifiers I have heard have the level of transparency, neutrality and truthfulness the NCore has. The TBI has this honey suckle coloration (that I do find addictive) where the bass is bumped up and ripe, the lower midrange is warm, and the top end is slightly rolled off but unfortunately with compromises in areas such as soundstaging, imaging precision, realism, and transparency. Listenable? Absolutely. Musical? Absolutely. MY reference tool? Absolutely not.

Best,
Anand.

wushuliu

« Reply #199 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:42 am »
What are the qualifications for a 'reference tool'.