TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two
« Reply #160 on: 19 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm »
More open and a fuller sound. It also drives my 84db Zellatons harder than the 12v battery does.

Tom,

Could you give some comparisons between the new 3 output power supply mentioned above, the stock power supply and running the amps on 24v battery only? I'm trying to decide whether to get the power supply mentioned above or use batteries to my two amps. I'm currently using the stock supplies and the amps sound pretty darn good!

Thanks,

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #161 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:39 am »
Tom,

Could you give some comparisons between the new 3 output power supply mentioned above, the stock power supply and running the amps on 24v battery only? I'm trying to decide whether to get the power supply mentioned above or use batteries to my two amps. I'm currently using the stock supplies and the amps sound pretty darn good!

Thanks,

Greg

I may have to wait on that triple output power supply since my second amp is on this tour. But at Rex's house, two TBI's on the stock AC wall wart sounded better than one on battery. I am still trying to figure that one out. :scratch:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #162 on: 20 Jul 2013, 03:30 am »
I may have to wait on that triple output power supply since my second amp is on this tour. But at Rex's house, two TBI's on the stock AC wall wart sounded better than one on battery. I am still trying to figure that one out. :scratch:

OK, so you are using the single output power supply by the same company? How does that sound compared to the stock power supply and 24v battery power if you have tried that?

bendude888

« Reply #163 on: 20 Jul 2013, 04:25 pm »
Hello AC'ers!  Do these power supplies have built-in fans?  I have a Mastech HY3010
that can easily power both my MG3's but is too loud for any type of audio sessions.
BTW, the HY3010 was used to power my RC charger.

rodge827

« Reply #164 on: 29 Jul 2013, 02:33 am »
The tour continues!  :D

Letitroll98 delivered the amp to me today.  :thumb:
I will have a report by the weekend and the amp will be off to the next lucky recipient.

Chris

Freo-1

« Reply #165 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:15 am »
Chris, looking forward to your observations. 

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #166 on: 30 Jul 2013, 11:57 am »

I am in Omaha, NE (68104). Can I please be added to this list?

Thanks in advance,

rodge827

« Reply #167 on: 12 Aug 2013, 02:06 am »
The amp is on it's way to kbuzz3 for review.

First off a big thanks to OzarkTom for organizing and carrying out the TBI MG3 Mk II Tour part deux.   :thumb:

OK a little background on my listening situation.
On Tour1, I had the amp in my listening room that was in the final tweaking stage with various absorbers, diffusers, etc...
In late October 2012 Hurricane Sandy deposited 2' of Great Bay through the room, and like sooo many others in this area, I have had an unpleasant education about my flood insurance policy!  :o  :scratch:  :evil:
Also my daughter and granddaughter have returned to occupy our remaining bedrooms.

The Tour gave me an opportunity to unbox all of my gear and get back into what makes this hobby fun. Setting up my system and tinkering around with the set up to perform optimally in a given space.

The space used was our living room, the room is 15 x 28 with 2 story cathedral ceiling and L shaped into the kitchen. Hardwood floors, throw rugs, a big comfy couch, and comfy chairs. I had to set up my monitors centered on the long wall 8' apart and 3' into the room with my listening position 11' from the front wall.  Although not optimally placed on the short wall, there was the advantage of side reflections being greatly reduced.  I had saved some absorption material and placed it behind my head on the back wall 4' away.

I have a 2.2 set up with a DSpeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 as dac, preamp, and room correction with a 47 Labs Flatfish CD Transport.  Setting up the system was exciting and heartbreaking since I knew after a couple of days it would be back in the boxes and stacked neatly in my daughters' room. My wife was great about the whole thing since she knows music makes me happy, and listening to it on my system well...  :eyebrows: 

The TBI was used to power my monitors which are 86db 6ohm and drop off steeply at 100hz where the matching subs come in. I powered the amp with the supplied 12v battery and 24v wall wort .

So how did it sound?

Crazy good!

As noted in my Tour1 post the detail was there in spades only this time through the tone has improved from 1% milk to 2% milk. A little thicker, but not the full bodied whole milk variety that can be delivered by a superior tube or class A SS (think Pass Labs) amp. I don't have a tube buffer or tube preamp so I can't comment on the effect, but I'm sure one could add a little bit of "weight" to the sound to  make this a world class set up.
The sound stage improved some also. The back round came forward as did the whole presentation, I felt closer to the stage say from 12th row in Tour 1 to 7th row this time around. Closer but not so close as to loose the affect the venue offers to the recording.

The amp sounded better on the battery than the wall wort, but the lower wattage from the 12v battery was a slight problem for my monitors. Perhaps 18v-24v set up as mono amps with a quality tube buffer(iFi iTube?) would be the way for me to go YMMV. This amp could be a welcome addition to most systems and at less than the cost of a boutique power cord is a no brainer.

Chris       

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2013, 11:34 am by rodge827 »

zilch0md

kbuzz3

« Reply #169 on: 2 Sep 2013, 04:05 pm »
hi all being too busy with kids fa,ily kis sports etc i finally was able to unbox the amp today.  however i am unable to power it on with either the wall wart or via 8 double aa batteries.   there is no manual somi apologize for the stupidity of this post but does a yone have any idea what might be the issue?  i get no power light at all.

thanks

kbuzz

rodge827

« Reply #170 on: 2 Sep 2013, 04:34 pm »
kbuzz,

1)Push in the button on the front of the amp under the volume control?
2)Check the fuse?
3)Is the wall outlet on a switched circuit?
4)Are the batteries in proper polarity?
5)Try the 12v SLA Battery?

Report back what you find out.

Chris

kbuzz3

« Reply #171 on: 3 Sep 2013, 05:26 pm »
thanks for the reply. I have done all of the above to no avail, except opening up the case to check the fuse....that is something i dont want to mess with....

waiting for further instructions from tom re where to send next....

zilch0md

« Reply #172 on: 4 Sep 2013, 11:26 am »
Hi kbuzz,

I'm bummed to hear about your DOA MG3.

Give Jan Plummer a call (or send an e-mail) - he's a great guy and will surely help you with this issue.

http://www.tbisound.com/dsp_contact.asp

Mike

Freo-1

« Reply #173 on: 19 Sep 2013, 08:27 pm »
Anyone have updates? 
I just received the amp in house today.  Will set it up this weekend and see how she sounds. 

JohnLL

« Reply #174 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:48 pm »
Great to hear the tour is alive. I am last in line but my number is almost up.

Freo-1

« Reply #175 on: 25 Sep 2013, 10:09 pm »
The amp showed up DOA.  I suspect the fuse is blown.  A trip to Radio Shack is in order. 

For Ozark Tom:  Do you want to send another fuse?

Freo-1

« Reply #176 on: 30 Sep 2013, 11:50 pm »
Finally stopped at Radio Shack today and picked up some fuses.  After installing a new fuse, powered up the unit, and she is playing music just fine.  I'll do some listening this week and post some impressions.  So far, Jan's power supply update seems like a winner. The bass seems a bit tighter than I remember, timbers are pretty natural with non classical music.  The 85 db/w ATC SCM19's are surprisingly behaving well with the amp.

For this go around, I'm taking Mr. Pig's advice and running the Modwright Oppp BDP 95 (tube) directly into the TBI.   This seems to provide the best performance for the TBI.  For those that need more than one input available, a Niles Audio APX-1 will do the trick just fine.

wushuliu

« Reply #177 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:23 am »
There is also a 3 amp version on Amazon for $105 and free shipping. Randy was probably questioning the two choices.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-Single-Output-Power-Supply-HY3003D/dp/B004ISQ270/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1373427479&sr=1-4

Took a look at this thread and grabbed a Mastech 1803 for $44 on Ebay. 18v, 3A. I was convinced by the spec: .5mv ripple, .01+- line/load regulation. Those are some dang good numbers, and no diy fiddling needed. Had no idea these supplies came so cheap and well-speced.

EDIT: Mastech states that there are counterfeit supplies sold under their names and others and will only vouch for supplies purchased directly from them. This would explain the atrocious reviews for the 'Tekpower' Mastech copies on Amazon. Hopefully mine is genuine...

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/variable-power-supply/linear-power-supply/cat_6.html
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2013, 07:10 am by wushuliu »

wushuliu

« Reply #178 on: 12 Oct 2013, 08:31 am »
So does anyone know if TBI is planning on a next generation amp? I've been listening to the newest TI chip (the TBI uses an older one from the same family) and have been very impressed, the main thing being you can get ~50w 4ohm and 30w for 8ohm at 24v. Be great if TBI made another amp from this chip.

rodge827

« Reply #179 on: 12 Oct 2013, 02:08 pm »

EDIT: Mastech states that there are counterfeit supplies sold under their names and others and will only vouch for supplies purchased directly from them. This would explain the atrocious reviews for the 'Tekpower' Mastech copies on Amazon. Hopefully mine is genuine...

wushuilu,
Thanks for the heads up on this.
I have been scoping them out on Ebay and Amazon to use with some of my DC powered gear, and will reconsider where I purchase in the future.

Chris