Listening Impressions with Soundscape 8s

(W)KRP

Re: Listening Impressions with Soundscape 8s
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:43 am »
I enjoyed reading about your experience with the SS8s.  The quality of my 256 kbps mp3s vary based on the quality of the recording -- never based on any CD vs. mp3 comparison I've experienced.

I suspect when you get into the quality of the SS8s, they are unforgiving of any bad signal, just like the Kuro TVs. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out)

fsimms

« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:46 am »
My SoundScapes are very revealing and don’t favor poor recordings too much.  However, they have the rear back wave that adds ambiance to the signal.  That ambiance adds a natural sounding bloom to the music that helps even poor recordings to sound better than they would otherwise sound.   The other side of the argument is that ambiance also helps good recordings to sound even better than they would otherwise sound too.   Hence, the quality delta probably stays near the same.

Bob

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2013, 11:16 am »
I can tell you that the SS8 is a speaker that deserves to be fed a great recording. When it's given a poor compressed recording you'll know right away. I have played with the rear fill some more since the first post. I tend to like open back filled with the polyfill, in my room. I think room acoustics will vary in each room and using rear fill may get different results. I took out some of the bass traps in the front of the room only to put them back in. It made the room boomy without them which is what they are used for, so I guess they work great. I  also moved the speakers A little more into the room and the sound stage is even better. I also watched some bluray movies in 2.0. The wide soundstage was really nice and did not miss surround sound at all. The low end sounded like I had a sub hooked up. I can only imagine what a SS10 or SS12 would sound like.  Maybe I may move up the line later in the year, just maybe.  :D

bummrush

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:06 pm »
Too bad that the Soundscapes make many of your older recordings sound lousy.  I had never heard that about them before.
    Above from previous post....            That's exactly what a good speaker does.I have a cd of Auqalung thee worst cd sound wise I have ever heard bar none. Anybody that says thier speakers could make this cd listenable needs a different pair of speakers.
Good job writing about the Salks.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:55 pm »
Check out the Steven Wilson 40th Anniversary remix of Aqualung (Surround, Quad, and Stereo) on Blu-ray Audio. The CD and Vinyl are brutal.

It will literally BLOW YOUR MIND!   :o

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #25 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:09 am »
Does the bass sound musical?

I can tell you that the SS8 is a speaker that deserves to be fed a great recording. When it's given a poor compressed recording you'll know right away. I have played with the rear fill some more since the first post. I tend to like open back filled with the polyfill, in my room. I think room acoustics will vary in each room and using rear fill may get different results. I took out some of the bass traps in the front of the room only to put them back in. It made the room boomy without them which is what they are used for, so I guess they work great. I  also moved the speakers A little more into the room and the sound stage is even better. I also watched some bluray movies in 2.0. The wide soundstage was really nice and did not miss surround sound at all. The low end sounded like I had a sub hooked up. I can only imagine what a SS10 or SS12 would sound like.  Maybe I may move up the line later in the year, just maybe.  :D

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #26 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:11 pm »
Does the bass sound musical?

Yes.
It is not boomy, bloated or otherwise distracting.  I can hear all the bass notes.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #27 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:31 pm »
Thanks!

Yes.
It is not boomy, bloated or otherwise distracting.  I can hear all the bass notes.