Small Room - Want Maggies

josh358

Re: Small Room - Want Maggies
« Reply #40 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:40 pm »
Guess using MMG's would be cheaper than the MC-1's + DWM('s). On the other hand, didn't you get too much bass when you put the MMG's on the wall? Mine sounded boomy when they got too close to the side walls, though I never hung them, which I'd expect to reduce the effect by creating an acoustic short circuit around the bottom. It seems to me you'd have to EQ the bass -- not a bad thing, you'd end up with more headroom, but it's a bit of a PITA in most systems and people seem reluctant to do it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:49 pm »
The preamp I'm using the MMGs with has tone controls so I back the bass down and up the treble.

I still think the Mini Maggies would give you the best sound and they do offer a trial period. 

josh358

« Reply #42 on: 24 Mar 2013, 10:14 pm »
I'd go with the Mini Maggies too, if it were for one-person listening and I could listen in the near field.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2013, 12:53 am »
I've never heard the Mini Maggies, so I can't comment on them, nor can I compare them to my MMGs in a near field arrangement. What I will say is that I absolutely love my MMGs (modded and in wood frames which position each one over an REL Q150) up close and personal (for me alone). That system doesn't image like the big system, but it's very good – could happily live with it as my only system.

Okay, that last comment was something of an exaggeration. :lol:

(If I hadn't ever heard the 3-series, it would be the absolute truth - ignorance, as they say, is bliss.)

Ekeman

« Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2013, 01:15 am »
I have some very limited experience using the MC-1's, I bought a pair (used, so they were broken in) for use as surrounds in a HT system. Before mounting them as surrounds, I temporarily hooked them up for mains L/R, crossed over to a 12" sealed sub at 80 Hz. Listened to them for a couple of hours and was very impressed by the way they filled my room (16x25), and the fact that their was no boominess to them despite being placed right against the front wall at about a 30 degree angle. They replaced a pair of box speakers, and I remember that the MC-1's sounded very open, detailed, and had no problem playing loud. I could absolutely live with the MC-1's and a sub and be happy if I had space limitations.

Maybe Wendell would give you similar deal on the MC-1's as they offer for the MMG's, if you're sure you want to wall mount them. Try them out with your current sub (if you have one), you might not need the DWM.

I would add that my experience with Maggies is limited to the last month or two, so I've no comparison as to how the MMG's might sound if mounted to the wall.

Pryso

« Reply #45 on: 25 Mar 2013, 09:21 pm »
"To Wendell's great frustration.

I think part of the problem is that dealers don't show them, so we really don't have much experience with them."

Josh, maybe you should suggest to Wendell that he set up an on-wall/DWM stereo demo at their next audio show.  That could be in a second (smaller) room if they had another system they wanted for public demo.  From the apparent success of their DWM demo at CES that seems to be an effective way to get the word (sound) out.

josh358

« Reply #46 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:55 pm »

I think part of the problem is that dealers don't show them, so we really don't have much experience with them."

Josh, maybe you should suggest to Wendell that he set up an on-wall/DWM stereo demo at their next audio show.  That could be in a second (smaller) room if they had another system they wanted for public demo.  From the apparent success of their DWM demo at CES that seems to be an effective way to get the word (sound) out.
I'll pass it on. Actually, I'm not sure if they've been shown or not over the years, other than as part of the Tri Center demo.

josh358

« Reply #47 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:49 am »

I passed on your suggestion to Wendell, and he said that they'd already done that at CES, without much of a response.

Curious how these things work -- or don't, as the case may be.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #48 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:04 am »
I would go with the MMG's.  They are great for near field listening.  A the lower volumes in a small room, I don't think that you will run into any boom problems.  I have heard the MC-1's and I think that you get a better sound stage and fuller sound with the MMG's.  You could even get away without using a sub with them although for near field listening with lower volumes you may want a sub to get that nice bass thump if that's your thing.

Pair the MMG's with a nice 30-40wpc tube amp and you will be in sonic heaven.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250&Itemid=235

MGbert

« Reply #49 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:54 am »
I was wise enough to choose the MMG, but there are people here who will say go as big as you want, even 3.7's in a small room.

Mine are in a room that size. It's excellent. It does get a bit congested when you push the volume really hard, but you're really just rocking out at those levels anyway and don't care much about room slop.

..But if you're nearfield like I am at average listening levels with the MMG's far out from the wall like, it's extremely good. Still completely satisfied and still definitely wowed.

I've tried two sets of I guess you could say micro-monitor in this room, nothing fancy, but definitely tiny, and you just lose too much resolution and that midrange magic, that bass, nothing small can replace it without spending a lot I would think.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that some diffusion will take my small room system the rest of the way.

@Jerry

You're welcome Jerry, very clean, pleasant looking set up. And I've heard a lot of people say that's the ultimate way to go, with high performance class D amps, paired with a good tube preamp.

One detail I've realized recently with my Gunned MMGs, at least in my room, is that listening 6 feet away from the speaker is better than sitting 5 feet away.  That pushes the limits to possible setups in my 11' X 11'-4" space, but the point is it does work.

MGbert

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:06 am »
^^ it doesn't seem to matter where I am. Very close to the speakers sounds identical to several feet away, soundstage, imaging, all intact, doesn't matter which side you sit on or dead center, it's all the same. Dramatically different from stock in that respect and one of the coolest features, IMO of Magnestands.

Johnaki

« Reply #51 on: 28 Apr 2013, 01:55 am »
Well, you folks certainly have given me reason to be hopeful.  I've talked to my dealer and he suggests the mini Maggies.  He says in a room as small as mine, they will be extraordinary.  I live in a rural, very rural, part of Northern Michigan and my dealer is 250 miles away.  I'm planning a road trip and will listen to all options.  I was really leaning towards the MC-12's.  Now, I'm leaning towards MMG's or Mini Maghies.

Whichever it is I'll let you know how the audition goes and what I select.

Thanks for all the advice.

John

medium jim

« Reply #52 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:07 am »
John:

I hope you keep us informed on how it goes and maybe write an informal review.  No need for fancy audiophile words, unless you feel comfortable with that.

Jim

Johnaki

« Reply #53 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm »
John:

I hope you keep us informed on how it goes and maybe write an informal review.  No need for fancy audiophile words, unless you feel comfortable with that.

Jim

Will do, sir!

John

medium jim

« Reply #54 on: 28 Apr 2013, 10:59 pm »

Johnaki

« Reply #55 on: 27 May 2013, 04:36 pm »
Anybody know anything about the "Super MMG's"?  Sounds promising for a small room like mine!

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2013, 05:09 pm »

There's nothing on their web site but they're always up to mischief of one sort or another.
Like most audio companies, their R&D department keeps pretty busy but what makes it into production is what counts.
I still want to see their headphones go into production so quit slacking and get cracking!
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 06:34 pm by SteveFord »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2013, 12:53 am »
I have an itch for Maggies that I need to scratch.  This thread would seem to apply to my situation.

I have a very nice system in my home office that is built around a custom made pair of speakers from Audiokinesis.  I have been very happy with that rig for the last five years, but I want to add a second system with a pair of Maggies.  I have a dedicated 12' x 13' room for it.  The only objects in this room will be a bookshelf, liquor cabinet, and chair.

I have already ordered an amp and preamp for this second system, but I seem to be waffling back and forth over which Maggies to get.  I am inclined to get the 1.7s.  My concern is that if I get the MG12s or MMGs then I may end up wanting the 1.7s anyway.  Not a problem if I go for the MMGs since I can send them back for full credit.  But since I need to buy an amp for these speakers, my feeling is in for a penny in for a pound.  The MG12s seem to put me in no man's land, and I am probably going to choose between the MMGs and 1.7s.

Cost is not the main concern here.  And this rig will be dedicated almost exclusively to jazz and classical music.  So I am expecting great things from it.

I have seen owners on other forums put the 1.7s in rooms smaller than mine...

--Jerome

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2013, 01:00 am »
1.7s will scratch that itch.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2013, 01:15 am »
Thanks Steve.  1.7s it is.

--Jerome