Small Room - Want Maggies

Johnaki

Small Room - Want Maggies
« on: 21 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum.

I have a small room that I would like to turn into a single purpose listening room.  It's 9x11 and 8' ceiling.  One 9' wall is solid wood, the other plaster.  one 11' wall is wood with the other wall being windows in the top half of the wall.  The floor is maple.

Although I listen to all types of music, classical and accoustic folk is my main fair.  I rarely listen to anything very loud -- and my loud, I would bet, is a bit more subdued than most.  Although I would like good bass, I have no need for an earth shattering experience.  This will be listening only.

A few years ago I tried to figure a way to get Maggie's to work in this setting. The consensus on the forums was that there may not be enough room.  My favorite dealer set up a trial with MC1's a small REL sub and powered by a 50 watt Arcam integrated.  I spent a couple hours listening to my favorite music at the store.  I thought it was terrific, the best I've heard for a small set up, but even the dealer said it may not be the best in my proposed room.  At the time the Maggie bass panel was just being developed and not on the market yet, so that wasn't an option.  So, I decided to stick with what I had (75 watt Arcam with Monitor Audio stand mounts and sub.  I like my present system, but have never given up on the Maggie sound.

I'm retired now with plenty of time to fiddle with things.  I would like to get either the MC1's, MMG's or MG-12's and a bass panel.

I'm not married to any of those, it's just what I want.  The dealer is good to work with, however, he's 250 mi. away.  If I buy something, he'll let me take them home for trial and try different units, but the travel back and forth would be an inhibiting factor.  So, I'd like to keep from trying something silly to begin with.

What do all think, and thanks for any suggestions.

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Small Room - Want Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:35 pm »
Have you considered the Mini Maggie System?
Add that REL sub and you should be pretty pleased with the end result.

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:52 pm »
I agree with Steve, but also consider the MMC wall mount panels and a sub....either would do the job admirably.

Jim

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:56 pm »
Go with the MMG's or the MG12's.  Personally I prefer the MG12's over the MMG's but the difference in sound is not that great considering the cost savings of the MMG's.  I have a pair of 1.6's in a room 17x17 with 9 foot ceilings and a pair of MMG's in an area that is about 14' wide.  I have the MMG's pushed out to the corners of the room and about 2.5' from the back walls.  This gives the best sound and markedly improves the bass to the point that I do not need a sub with them ( I run them with a tube preaamp and a Class D Audio amp). Personally I like the small space and near field listening.  Pair them with an amp that is detailed and dynamic at low volumes and a tube preamp and you will be in sonic heaven.

You may need some room treatments in a room as small as yours though.  I have placed some bass traps in the very corners which has eliminated any hint of boom by placing the speakers out to the corners of the room

Johnaki

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:59 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I suppose its just old fashioned thought that I should consider changing, but having such a small system just doesn't seem meet my expectation when I lean back, close my eyes and picture myself in a dedicated listening room.  However, I've noticed there are quite a few reviews and articles that I've not read on the Mini-Maggie's.  indeed to avail myself of that information.  It could change my mind.

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:14 pm »
I think they have an in home trial on the Minis.
I didn't think too much of the idea until I actually heard it.
Stick the REL in the rear corner of the room and it's really quite astonishing.

The other suggestions are good ones, too, but those little guys are worth a listen if you're going to be sitting pretty close.

Another thought is MMG/DMW/CC3 which would give you a large soundstage.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:19 pm »
John,
from Magnepan.com:

An Offer You Can't Resist The MMG, 60 day, money back guarantee program consists of 3 speaker models:

•MMG: Floor standing speaker
•MMG W: Wall standing speaker
•MMG C: Center channel speaker

I think you should try the MMGs first.  I think you can make them work.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm »
My room is 11' x 13' with a 7.5' with all walls in wood panelling and fully carpeted with windows on two walls. I'm running with a pair Magnestand MG12s. I power it with just a McIntosh MA6100 integrated amp and it sounds just fine. Music is mostly classical (HEAVY on the organ) with some blues every now and then.  :green: Maggies should play just fine in your room. I'd go with the MG12s.  :thumb:
older photo with previous equipment…

brooklyn

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:35 pm »
Hi John, welcome to the forum. I have the MMG's for a while now in a 11x15 room with D-Class amps and a tube preamp. I do listen relatively nearfield with no sub and I think it sounds wonderful.

I do think the they will work in your room and I would try them first without a sub, in your smallish room, you may not need one. Below is a scale drawing of my room and a picture of how the MMG's are set up. I hope this helps. Jerry

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:59 pm »
Very classy, Orange and Brooklyn!

Johnaki

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:28 pm »
Hi John, welcome to the forum. I have the MMG's for a while now in a 11x15 room with D-Class amps and a tube preamp. I do listen relatively nearfield with no sub and I think it sounds wonderful.

Nice set up and very close to how I envision my set up.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

John

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2013, 09:04 pm »

Love the warm tones in that room. Your MMG's look happy there.

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:55 am »
Thank you very much, it took some time to get this system and room to
what it is, I am very happy with the sound I get from it.

Leaving the front wall behind the speakers a little sparse seems to help the sound
stage and has more of a live sound which I never thought I would say about any
2 channel audio system.

I'm not trying to plug anything here but I read the Get Better Sound book by
Jim Smith a couple of years ago, I got some good tips in that book especially
speaker set up, which for me as always been hap hazard to some degree.

Thanks again,
Jerry

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:22 am »
I love panels but in a room that small, I'd really consider a great mini monitor.  A pair of KEF LS-50s and a little tube amp would blow you away in a room that size.

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:52 am »
I love panels but in a room that small, I'd really consider a great mini monitor.  A pair of KEF LS-50s and a little tube amp would blow you away in a room that size.

No doubt, you have listened to many more systems then I will ever be able to but
before I got the MMG's, I had a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1's on heavy duty Target
speaker stands with an REL Q201e sub.

I am not a fan of a sub in a 2 channel system,
that said, the MMG's, blew away that system in my room.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2013, 06:02 am »
I was wise enough to choose the MMG, but there are people here who will say go as big as you want, even 3.7's in a small room.

Mine are in a room that size. It's excellent. It does get a bit congested when you push the volume really hard, but you're really just rocking out at those levels anyway and don't care much about room slop.

..But if you're nearfield like I am at average listening levels with the MMG's far out from the wall like, it's extremely good. Still completely satisfied and still definitely wowed.

I've tried two sets of I guess you could say micro-monitor in this room, nothing fancy, but definitely tiny, and you just lose too much resolution and that midrange magic, that bass, nothing small can replace it without spending a lot I would think.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that some diffusion will take my small room system the rest of the way.

@Jerry

You're welcome Jerry, very clean, pleasant looking set up. And I've heard a lot of people say that's the ultimate way to go, with high performance class D amps, paired with a good tube preamp.

Johnaki

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:13 pm »
Again,  thanks for all the good information.  It's given me a good insight.

I've got a couple more questions. 

First, could some of you with the small rooms tell me what you're using for amplification.  There's been some general comments, but if I could get an idea of brands and models that have been used successfully, it would be helpful.  I've read a lot about amps and Maggies, but its almost always for larger rooms.  I went through a lot of different amps before I settled on NAD, but then heard the Arcam matched with the MG-12's at the dealer.  I've had an Arcam since and would stick with that brand unless I find something better.  It seems to work well for my ears and listening style.  Of course, I'm listening to boxes now.

Secondly, my room is 9x11, but one entire wall is a closet and could easily be taken out.  The room would, actualy be 11.5x11.5 without the closet.  I think I've read somewhere that a square room is not so good, so not sure if that would be a good move.

Thanks, John

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:25 pm »

First, could some of you with the small rooms tell me what you're using for amplification.  There's been some general comments, but if I could get an idea of brands and models that have been used successfully, it would be helpful.  I've read a lot about amps and Maggies, but its almost always for larger rooms.  I went through a lot of different amps before I settled on NAD, but then heard the Arcam matched with the MG-12's at the dealer.  I've had an Arcam since and would stick with that brand unless I find something better.  It seems to work well for my ears and listening style.  Of course, I'm listening to boxes now.

Secondly, my room is 9x11, but one entire wall is a closet and could easily be taken out.  The room would, actualy be 11.5x11.5 without the closet.  I think I've read somewhere that a square room is not so good, so not sure if that would be a good move.

Thanks, John

That is the most debated topic in the Maggie kingdom.   I would think the NAD will be enough as they're built tough and have ample power where it is needed. 

Jim

brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:42 pm »

Thanks, John

About a year ago I bought a used pair of the Bel Canto Ref 500M's mono amps and a Prima Luna Prologue 3 tube preamp, the whole system works very nice together and sounds wonderful.

I never dealt with a square room before so I'm afraid I can't help you there..

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm »
For my MMG/CC5 system I'm using a modified Hafler XL280 and a Bryston 3B pro with good results.
I've also used a couple of modified Carver amps with the MMGs and they sound fine.
There's a lot to be said for tube amps but I use them for the larger speakers as the MMG/CC5 combo is mostly used by my wife who never turns anything off.

All of the rooms are rectangles so I can't offer much advice about knocking out the closet.