Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?

neekomax

Re: Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?
« Reply #60 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:28 pm »
I hope it works out well, cause I'd rather stick with the Air Tunes thing than add a Sonos just yet. I have an airport express that has worked well, but for whatever reason it doesn't play nice with some of the newer DACs. I noticed it a little with my MyDac that I just bought, and Peachtree says it right on the website that the AEX isn't compatible with their DAC, whereas the AppleTV works perfectly. I have the Apple remote app on both my iPhone and my Kindle Fire, so I'll be good to go with streaming once this little gadget shows up. I may check out the Sonos later in the year, but the Peachtree guys have a 100% track record with me in terms of their advice and suggestions, so I'll go with what they say works.

I was an early adopter of wireless streaming with Apple stuff (before they even branded it 'Airplay', I believe), and still use it a lot with two systems, although my two channel system is now Mac Mini-based via optical (into a Peachtree Decco). It is super convenient, well done, and the sound quality is pretty good. Plus you get all the video streaming stuff with the Apple TV. If you're already comfortable with the Apple ecosystem, I see no reason you would need a Sonos. I assume you will be streaming from your computer? Streaming from the iPhone (and iPad) also works extremely well, although I do have occasional times when there are network issues and I get dropouts or noise, so I do recommend having a backup playback system for those times, like a CD player or your iPod dock.

ajzepp

« Reply #61 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:41 pm »
I was an early adopter of wireless streaming with Apple stuff (before they even branded it 'Airplay', I believe), and still use it a lot with two systems, although my two channel system is now Mac Mini-based via optical (into a Peachtree Decco). It is super convenient, well done, and the sound quality is pretty good. Plus you get all the video streaming stuff with the Apple TV. If you're already comfortable with the Apple ecosystem, I see no reason you would need a Sonos. I assume you will be streaming from your computer? Streaming from the iPhone (and iPad) also works extremely well, although I do have occasional times when there are network issues and I get dropouts or noise, so I do recommend having a backup playback system for those times, like a CD player or your iPod dock.

Very cool, so you have the Peachtree/AppleTV combo already fired up then...nice! I'm glad to know that the results are good. I started with a Squeezebox but ended up getting really frustrated with it at the time. Oddly enough, when I came to sell it and uploaded the firmware prior to shipping it off, it started working perfectly lol. But I ended up trying out the AEX, which was perfectly stable and reliable. For whatever reason it's causing some clicks and pops with my MyDAC via the optical connection, which Im assuming is also why Peachtree says the AEX isn't compatible with their gear. I've only had the MyDac for a few days, so I need to connect another source just to be certain it's not the DAC itself, but I know the AEX has been around a while now so I'm assuming Peachtree is correct in what they're saying. The AppleTV is a perfct solution since, as you said, the video content is there, too. Initially I thought I always had to have a display on to use it, so when I saw that I could use the apple "remote" app I was sold. For $99 it's a no brainer to me, and that will save me the money of adding another Roku unit to the living room. Speaking of which, I have to give props to another Steve, "SRB" here on AC, for helping me with a ton of questions about the Air Tunes thing a while back. Just another example of how much I've benefited from this amazing community over the years.

Thanks for that feedback...it helps to know that others are already running the same configuration, you know? I can't wait to try this out..

buyersremorse

« Reply #62 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:44 pm »
Nova125 was on my short list as well to pair with my Maggies, but ended up going with the NAD390DD.  If I hadn't heard the NAD, I would have been perfectly happy with the Nova (with an extra $1000 in my wallet).

ajzepp

« Reply #63 on: 23 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm »
Nova125 was on my short list as well to pair with my Maggies, but ended up going with the NAD390DD.  If I hadn't heard the NAD, I would have been perfectly happy with the Nova (with an extra $1000 in my wallet).

Wow, that NAD is beautiful! I just took at look...very nice!

ajzepp

« Reply #64 on: 25 Mar 2013, 09:39 pm »
The AppleTV arrived a day early...what a breeze to set up and connect.

I guess it's the DAC in the Peachtree that I have to thank for this, but I was playing around with some of the internet radio stations, which I believe are typically 128kpbs or less, and I was floored by the sound. I often enjoy playing around with the ambient stations, and every single one I clicked on transformed the room into a holographic 3-D room full of amazing sounds. I have been using the internet radio stations for many years, even back when I had my Squeezebox Duet, and this is easily the best they've ever sounded.

As much as I enjoy my Roku box, the one weak link on it is the wireless adapter. I often need to use the ethernet cable when I stream 1080p movies cause it'll start up with the buffering. The AppleTV connected immediately and everything fires up with no trouble at all. The Roku has the advantage in terms of content, but the AppleTV has the ability to stream my iTunes library and much better connectivity, so both are valuable to me. But Roku needs to follow Apple's lead and put a better adapter in their product. I thought I was going to need a new router, but then I realized that the only time there is ever an issue is when I'm using Roku. Everything else works perfectly.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #65 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm »
I take it the Peachtree is a keeper for you?

ajzepp

« Reply #66 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:55 pm »
I take it the Peachtree is a keeper for you?

Oh yeah, the only thing I can possibly say I'm disappointed with is the writing on the remote lol. The lettering is so small that it's almost impossible to see unless you hold it close to your face and the light is on. Aside from that, it's doing everything right...especially for $1500. It's really doing a fantastic job with pretty much anything I throw at it.

Class D amps are the real deal...I'm super impressed.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm »
Now about those Stax headphones I keep recommending... :D

ajzepp

« Reply #68 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm »
Now about those Stax headphones I keep recommending... :D

The last ones you suggested were too damn fugly!  :lol:

Your score has gone even higher though with the success of the Peachtree, so even fugly-ness may not be able to make me resist!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:07 am »
Few audio components on earth are uglier than my Stax Sigmas but that's okay, I can't see them on the side of my head.
If I ever swing a set of 407s I'll send them to you for a bit so you can give a listen.

ajzepp

« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:12 am »
Few audio components on earth are uglier than my Stax Sigmas but that's okay, I can't see them on the side of my head.
If I ever swing a set of 407s I'll send them to you for a bit so you can give a listen.

Hell, you won't have to send them, cause one of these days Im gonna camp outside your door until you let me in to hear the 20s!!  :drool:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:29 am »
I can do that - I should have my preamp up and running again soon.
It looks like that shorted tube took out a cap but a replacement is en route as is a long overdue tube tester.
I should have bought one of those years ago.

I'm going to do a few minor things to the room as well but not this week.

ajzepp

« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:48 am »
I can do that - I should have my preamp up and running again soon.
It looks like that shorted tube took out a cap but a replacement is en route as is a long overdue tube tester.
I should have bought one of those years ago.

I'm going to do a few minor things to the room as well but not this week.

I still can't believe you have 'em! Every time I listen to my 3.6s it just amazes me that there's still another step to take in the line...especially after hearing the NOLA baby grands the other day, I really want to see how the 20s compete...I've seen a pair in person but never heard 'em.

What do you have in store for the room? Do you have any treatments in there? And did you ever post pics of those beauties??

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:42 am »
I don't have anything too much planned for the immediate future - just a large oriental carpet, some risers for the couch (thanks for the idea, Satie!) and maybe change out the crud in the corners.  Click on my Systems and you'll see the monsters with everything pulled away for the photo.

ajzepp

« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:07 am »
I don't have anything too much planned for the immediate future - just a large oriental carpet, some risers for the couch (thanks for the idea, Satie!) and maybe change out the crud in the corners.  Click on my Systems and you'll see the monsters with everything pulled away for the photo.

Oh wow, those are amazing...I can't believe I've never seen your gallery before...it must have been down last time I checked, cause I know I looked previously...cool pics of the reptiles!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 26 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm »
I might have some babies this year which should make a good topic for the Personal Touch circle.
You'd think that snakes can't smile but when they're breeding I swear they're smiling!
I've always wanted to breed Surinam Red Tail boa constrictors so this year it might finally happen.

ajzepp

« Reply #76 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:54 am »
I might have some babies this year which should make a good topic for the Personal Touch circle.
You'd think that snakes can't smile but when they're breeding I swear they're smiling!
I've always wanted to breed Surinam Red Tail boa constrictors so this year it might finally happen.

There's a personal touch circle?  :scratch:

It's funny when you get the impression that animals are enjoying something...in fact, as I'm typing this my pup has been watching his favorite Animal Planet show - "Too Cute" - for the last 24 minutes. Well, except for commercials...he hates commercials.

josh358

« Reply #77 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:58 am »
A musician friend of mine had a cat that beat its tail in time to music. It was the damnedest thing.

ajzepp

« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm »
A musician friend of mine had a cat that beat its tail in time to music. It was the damnedest thing.

:lol:  Dude, he needs to make a youtube vid of that...it would go viral instantly!

josh358

« Reply #79 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:42 am »
:lol:  Dude, he needs to make a youtube vid of that...it would go viral instantly!
Alas, the kitty's probably history by now -- that was back in the 80's.