SOLD: Tannoy Turnberry SE Speakers w/Top Shelf Parts Upgrades

kimchee411

*** I do not have boxes for these so local pick up in the San Francisco Bay Area only. ***

For sale are my beloved Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers.  I am the original owner and they are less than one year old.  They sound fantastic with particularly great scale, dynamics, timbral accuracy, texture, and body.

They are in great condition except that one speaker has a dent in the left rear corner from initial shipping damage.  This blemish is relatively small and should be easily repairable by any competent furniture repair person.  It has not deteriorated whatsoever in the 11 months I have owned them and I have no reason to believe it would in the future.  There is a teeny spot nick in the metal frame of one driver the size of a period; obviously this does not affect the sound.  Also, some of the carpet spikes are well worn as I used pliers to get them in.

I replaced every stock capacitor and resistor in these speakers, which were quite mediocre (surprising what you get inside $6000+ speakers - they are all like this!), along with the binding posts with very good parts.  Note: they speakers have an option to adjust the treble energy +/- 1.5 or 3 dB with a screw post.  I replaced the resistors for the neutral (0 dB) and +1.5 settings, but not the negative or +3 dB, so technically not EVERY single resistor was upgraded.

Low frequency crossover:
- Bennic XPP 24uF film capacitor replaced with 22uF Mundorf Supreme + 2.2uF ClarityCap MR.
- Elytone 100uF electrolytic capacitor replaced with 100uF ClarityCap ESA + 1.0 uF ClarityCap MR.
- Generic wirewound resistor replaced with Mundorf M-Resist.

High frequency crossover:
- ClarityCap PW 2.2uF film capacitor (low grade, below Clarity SA) replaced with ClarityCap MR 2.2uF (top grade).
- Generic wirewound resistors replaced with Mundorf M-Resist.

Binding posts:
- Both high and low frequency pairs on both speakers were replaced with WBT-0703 NextGen 24k gold plated 99.996% pure oxygen free copper.  The fifth grounding posts remain stock, but they are pretty much useless anyway.

Cardas solder was used for the job.

These parts cost well over $1100 and the job, while straightforward, required significant time in labor.  No modifications were made to the crossover boards or cabinet; only parts were swapped.

The result is a substantial improvement in inner detail, transparency, and separation without any consequence to the coherence and musicality that defines the Tannoy dual concentric.  In my honest opinion they are unquestionably better than the stock speakers.  I used to think about the day I could upgrade to Kensingtons, but never gave it a second thought after the mods.

I had also bypassed the high frequency ClarityCap MR with 0.1uF Duelund CAST Cu capacitors ($$), which enhanced them further, but those were removed and are NOT included or available for sale.  However, there is a nice cozy place on the boards waiting to be refilled by another pair of Duelunds.

Included are the manuals, grills with locking key, polishing wax, carpet spikes, and original capacitors (I threw away the old resistors).

Warranty is void, but not transferable anyhow.

I am only selling due to downgrading.  I barely have time to listen to them and this will only get worse with another child on the way!

*** I do not have boxes for these so local pick up in the San Francisco Bay Area only. ***

SOLD

THE DUELUND CAP IS NOT INCLUDED
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm by kimchee411 »

kimchee411

kimchee411