Does anyone here use Mozilla's Firefox?

ctviggen

« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:35 pm »
I use Opera and have for years.  I like it much better than IE.  There are some sites that don't work well in Opera, though (and others that you have to trick into letting you in by selecting "identify as MSIE" or the like).  It includes a popup blocker and tabbed browsing.  To me, it's worth the cost NOT to use a Microsoft product.

Adarsh

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:26 pm »
I've been using Firefox 1.0 for about 4 months and it's awesome. There are some glitches with Windows Media Player (watching streaming video) and opening PDF/Adobe Acrobat documents as it crashes. A restart is necessary.

-A

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2005, 11:26 pm »

I just switched earlier this week.

I LOVE IT!!

SO much faster than IE.

Love the adblocker extension.

Bemopti123

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2005, 01:40 am »
I found a couple of sites that do not want to load up VOD with Firefox, but asides from these issues, it is AWESOME.  It is soooooo much more efficient and it does not FREEZE as often as IE.  Long live revolution and celebrate the demise of IE!

Scott F.

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2005, 02:30 am »
Hi Guys,

Got a question about Mozilla. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and really like (especially the tabs) but it's got one glitch. Maybe it's a switch I've missed or something but, when I post here and try to use the HTML buttons (bold ital, underline etc) Mozilla doesn't insert the code properly to the word/phrase I have highlighted. It throws the HTML tag to the end of the entire post.

I'll demonstrate......

Look at the last line of theis post. You will see the bold tag and some text I typed. I highlighted the entire post and clicked the bold tag and it didn't bold the post, it just threw the bold tag at the end with.

I've checked the Options menu in Mozilla and I didn't see anything weird. Any ideas?

Oh, using the 'alt b' option via the keyboard does the same thing.
Oh, oh, My machine at work has the same symtoms (work machine is a Dell, this one is custom built)
Oh, oh, oh, I don't have HTML disabled as part of my posts

this is where the bold ends up after I use the preview post feature

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2005, 06:19 am »
I just type in the code as I have the same issue with firefox throwing the tags at the end.

mgalusha

« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:18 am »
It's because the Javascript used by phpBB (the site software) uses IE specific calls to add the tags in the current cursor location. There are ways around this but it would require changes to the posting page code.

Newer versions of phpBB might play nicer but I am merely speculating here. There are third party editors with even more features but again this would require code changes to the site which I don't think the admins have time for.  8)

I guess I've been using Firefox (Firebird) for so long now I don't even notice much any more. I just drag/drop the emoticons to where I want them.

Mike

Emil

« Reply #27 on: 28 Feb 2005, 02:21 pm »
If you think Firefox is fast now, try this:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

4. Restart Firefox.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

Marbles

« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2005, 02:42 pm »
I just tried it and it does speed it up quite a bit, THANKS!!!

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2005, 03:52 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
It's because the Javascript used by phpBB (the site software) uses IE specific calls to add the tags in the current cursor location. There are ways around this but it would require changes to the posting page code.

Newer versions of phpBB might play nicer but I am merely speculating here. There are third party editors with even more features but again this would require code changes to the site which I don't think the admins have time for.  8)

I guess I've been using Firefox (Firebird) for so long n ...

Josh,
Makes sense. I'll just emphasize on the fly rather than waiting until after I've written the post and doing it then.

Emil,
Great tip. I'll try that on my machine at home. It loads really slow in comparison to IE. I've grown to really like Foxfire. I like the tabbed feature along with the 'ctrl +/-' feature to increase the text size.

vpolineni

« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2005, 04:12 pm »
i tried emil's suggestion and pages load up much faster.  when i try to load espn.com, i constantly get this error message and mozilla shuts down:

AppName: firefox.exe    AppVer: 1.0.0.0    ModName: npswf32.dll
ModVer: 7.0.19.0    Offset: 0006144a

any suggestions on how to fix this?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2005, 05:53 pm »
Hey Emil, nice tip...it seems to work a mite faster now - thanks   :)

Emil

« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2005, 06:10 pm »
You're welcome, guys

Before you think that Im some computer wizard, I got this tip over at the Naim Users Forum :mrgreen:  Cut and paste :lol:

Vpolineni
Thats why I would always have IE handy. It seems some websites dont do well with Mozilla.

WerTicus

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2005, 06:35 pm »
people still use ie?? :P
thats crazy!

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2005, 06:43 pm »
I use opera (www.opera.com), but still have to use IE every once in a while.

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:06 pm »
I installed an extension to Firefox called (I think) IE View, that lets me view any page in Internet Explorer.  When you right-click a page or a link, the last option will let you automatically open that page in IE.

If you surf a lot, it's necessary to be able to use IE to view some pages, as Firefox doesn't work properly with every web site.

tvad4

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:18 pm »
I use Firefox 1.0.3 for Mac X, and I'm starting to prefer it over Safari...more pages that wouldn't open on Safari are opening in Firefox...it's faster...I like the tabs feature (eliminates separate windows for each website that's open).

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #37 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:54 pm »
Safari has tabbed browsing, too.  But you have to enable it in the preferences; by default it's turned off.

tvad4

« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2005, 09:33 pm »
Hi, Johnny. Thanks for the tip. Heck, I've only been using Safari for three years!

I still find Firefox faster. And, some graphics open in Firefox that don't open in Safari.

Bemopti123

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2005, 10:28 pm »
I experienced Firefox browser failing to load a couple of sites, but they are mostly geared for the IE encryption and Window Media security decoding.  Isn't it ironic that Microsoft has try to get some sort of security in the distribution of digitized media while their Windows systems and explorer are filled with vulnerabilities towards trojans, viruses etc...

I once thought that Firefox as a browser was not accepted at encrypted sites, especially those of banks to do wires transfer.  When I had my wife doing it once again, through FX, it did it without a hitch.  So, IE has been relegated to the occupying HD space, without even being used.  

After using FX for about 4 months, all I can say is that IE is slow as a hog, it is practically useless for most navigation.

The interesting thing that I did find when using FX for Windows XP and FX on my new Mac Mini is that the FX for Windows, with this one particular site, streams content without interruptions, while with the Macintosh OS, it does not.  It has a tab,  to click the program backwards and forwards, which makes it lag or buffer more slowly.

Paul