Interesting Shipping Experience

RPM123

Interesting Shipping Experience
« on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:53 am »
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I wanted to share a recent experience. I received an integrated amp direct from the company, several months back, that was shipped via UPS. The labels on the box clearly stated that the shipping weight was 38 lbs. So, when I recently sold the amp, I put everything back in the box and brought it to FedEx for shipping. Well, the shipping weight there was...34.6lbs! Hmm, what's going on here? (The company specifies a weight of 33 lbs for shipping, BTW.) I calculated a difference of $3.43 between the two shipping weights. Now multiply that by hundreds if not thousands of packages a year and that adds up to a tidy profit.

Is the scale at the original UPS shipper not properly calibrated...by accident or by design? Did someone fudge the weight? I am not accusing anyone here, but I thought it might be of interest to some. Cheers!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Interesting Shipping Experience
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2013, 05:20 am »
Nothing will happen, this company will not be sued or fined.
Sad

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2013, 10:10 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Maybe the shipping guy at UPS need a new pair of reading glasses...
 :roll:

Guy 13
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2013, 02:45 pm by Guy 13 »

tomytoons

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:35 pm »
I NEVER use UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just somehow left out 4lbs of packing. LOL!!
The boys in brown are really monkeys.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:58 pm »
Companies who ship regularly usually have UPS come to their place of business to pick up packages.  Companies then print their own UPS labels and specify the shipping weight themselves.  The blame in this case probably falls on the manufacturer of your amp and not on UPS.  If the shipper actually drove to a UPS facility and had them do the label then UPS would be at fault, but I doubt this is the case.

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:30 pm »
A couple of points:

I ship Fedex and get a discount on the 'walk in rate', so the difference for a large commercial shipper may be more than the $3.43 you calculated.

Unless they're a huge mainstream manufacturer they probably won't be shipping 1,000's of units.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2013, 05:20 pm »
I'm not a big UPS fan.  Over many years of getting items delivered by Fedex and UPS, I can say that the problems encountered are like about a dozen for UPS vs. one for Fedex.  Fedex also makes it easier to pick up things at local Fedex stores free.  Also, their regular distribution center has better after work hours.

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:37 pm »
Companies who ship regularly usually have UPS come to their place of business to pick up packages.  Companies then print their own UPS labels and specify the shipping weight themselves.  The blame in this case probably falls on the manufacturer of your amp and not on UPS.  If the shipper actually drove to a UPS facility and had them do the label then UPS would be at fault, but I doubt this is the case.

That could very well explain it. Then the company shipper needs to check the scale since the product literature gives a weight of 33lbs. They are definitely overpaying for their shipping!

RPM123

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:38 pm »
I'm not a big UPS fan.  Over many years of getting items delivered by Fedex and UPS, I can say that the problems encountered are like about a dozen for UPS vs. one for Fedex.  Fedex also makes it easier to pick up things at local Fedex stores free.  Also, their regular distribution center has better after work hours.

Same here. I also like the fact that they ship and deliver on Saturdays!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2013, 05:11 am »
Some years ago, 2008 or so a UPS office guy phoned me early morning to threaten me with a Customs fine due four IR FET transistors had a ''too low'' invoice stated.
If I dont prove the price of this product I would be fined by the customs house.

So I send a email to this moron with a scaned image from a similar local product bill which also had a low price.
if I had not this bill on hand this day I certainly have been fined.

gcos

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:09 pm »
Shipping is calculated on the higher of volume and weight. On a box for an integrated amp, more than likely cost based on volume would be higher so I doubt 3lbs difference would have been of any material significance.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:46 pm »
Some years ago, 2008 or so a UPS office guy phoned me early morning to threaten me with a Customs fine due four IR FET transistors had a ''too low'' invoice stated.
If I dont prove the price of this product I would be fined by the customs house.

So I send a email to this moron with a scaned image from a similar local product bill which also had a low price.
if I had not this bill on hand this day I certainly have been fined.

UPS has to work within the guidelines and custom laws of your country.  He was doing you a favor in phoning you, and advising of the situation with importing FETs.  That "moron" provided you with a means to avoid a penalty and fine. 
neo

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2013, 04:16 pm »
Shipping is calculated on the higher of volume and weight. On a box for an integrated amp, more than likely cost based on volume would be higher so I doubt 3lbs difference would have been of any material significance.

Not for UPS.  As long as the volume dimensions fall within their standard guidelines, the rate is based on the weight of the item, the destination zip code, and the level of insurance purchased.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2013, 05:04 pm »
UPS has to work within the guidelines and custom laws of your country.  He was doing you a favor in phoning you, and advising of the situation with importing FETs.  That "moron" provided you with a means to avoid a penalty and fine. 
neo
Apparently, the tax from the Customs was 100 per cent over the gross price, which was low as the transistors price was about 0,25 dolar each, so they dont tax me automatically why the value was too low.
This guy claimed the invoice from the International Rectifiers was fraudulent and ordered I prove the price was real.
They dont want to stick to the invoice info to benefit the importer person and like to upset the customer.