Oops, I had a little accident.

Danny Richie

Oops, I had a little accident.
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:42 pm »
I was changing out the bits on a 1/2" drill and had one hand on the chuck. I had the other hand on the handle and was putting some real pull on the chuck to break the bit loose when my other hand accidentally hit the trigger. It tried to throw the chuck threw my hand.

This happened Saturday evening. I took the pic just now (Monday Morning). It looks good now compared to Saturday. It actually lifted up a plug of meat maybe 1/4" to 3/8" down. I haven't been able to open up my hand or it opens up the wound. So I have had to keep my hand semi closed.

Funny thing is that I do a lot of things with my right hand that now I am having to do with my left hand. Things like shaving, bathing, or wiping are not so easy with the left hand.... And then things like opening a jar or tying shoes are impossible. Typing is slow going too.

To sleep with this I rolled up a small sock and put it in the palm of my hand and made a fist around it. I then put it in the other sock so that I would not open my hand in my sleep.

Since it looked pretty good this morning and was staying together, I put super glue over the cut areas to help hold to together. So far so good. Super glue beats stitches!

Anyway, all that so say that I am a bit slowed down for a few days.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Oops, I had a little accident.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:56 pm »
Danny, That looks like it could have used a few stitches but I don't blame you for not wanting them. I'm going to the doctor this morning to have 6 stitches taken out of my temple are. I was pulling some large 4 foot alder logs off a pile of brush down on our bulkhead, I slipped and fell and one of them slid down and hit me in side of my head. Take care of that hand and don't let it break open again.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:57 pm »
Ouch I bet that smarted.  You are probably  "lucky" to have gotten away  just with that.
Super glue does work  well doesn't it ? Hehe,  I have experience  with that one  :)
Hope it heals up quick for you

-jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:39 pm »
Ooops?

Ouch?

OUCH!!!! - I might buy....

more like -  :cuss: :cuss:

Followed by  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Heal up Danny

decal

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:47 pm »
I bet you said, "Mother%^$#$ng C&^$&*( piece o S%%)# drill", I would have !!!!!!!!

fishboat

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:53 pm »
Sorry to hear..been there more than once, though fortunately I haven't drawn any blood in the shop for quite a while. 

Are you current on your tetanus shot?  If not, I'd check into that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm »
It made me a bit sick at my stomach for a minute or two because I knew that I just limited a lot of things I normally do. It also makes me really feel for all the people out there there deal with real handicaps everyday, and makes me realize how blessed I have been.

And I didn't cuss. Fowl language is not not part of my normal vocabulary.

It was actually the rounded end of the chuck that tore threw my hand and nothing really sharp that cut it. So nothing really went into my hand. It was more of a blunt force hit. So I think I am fine with it. So no new tetanus shot this time.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:04 pm »
Good point fishboat, have you had a shot in the last 10 years?

decal

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:29 pm »

Normal, being the keyword!!!!! I commend you on your diligence of not cursing, I wish I had it !!!! Take care of that BooBoo.

fishboat

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm »
Good point fishboat, have you had a shot in the last 10 years?

Greg..if you're speaking to me..yes.

Danny..I hear ya..I had a bout with plantar fasciitis 5-6 years ago (damaged ligament in the arch/heel of your foot) and it took 18 months+ to get rid of it..at least to a point where I walk normal.  I still wear inserts & barefoot is a thing of the past..even in the shower.   The experience gave me a whole new appreciation for "feet" & the ability to simply get around.   

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:13 pm »
fishboat, I was speaking to Danny, I figured since you brought it up you knew to keep up on the shot. You guys are right about being fortunate to be able to get around and have good hands and feet. It's easy to take our mobility for granted when we have always had it. I'm just glad Danny that you didn't do worse damage and that you will heal up to be as good as new.

Stuart

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:33 pm »
Ouch, these things happen when you least expect them. The super glue works wonders, just be carefull not to get it into the blood stream as it is cyanide based! :icon_surprised:

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:58 pm »
 :D  1/2 INCH Drills are very powerful.. unplug those bad boys if possible .... :D

sl_1800

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:08 pm »
I, all too well, know what your saying about not being able to use your dominate hand.  When I had my shoulder replacement and went a long time doing everything left handed, not fun at all.

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:13 pm »
Well, if it happened in the shop then you should have a handy soldering iron nearby to cauterize the wound. Problem solved!  :icon_twisted:

tasar

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:35 pm »
Danny, take it from a "lefty"( no politics intended). Just wire in a large filter cap from your medulla oblongata (brains motor skill region) neurons to the left side. This will enhance the right side contribution to what is ailing you, ie "lefty lameness". You'll obviously have to experiment w cap size, this is uncharted territory ! Please advise of all "progress" !

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:11 am »

Guess I make up for your self control .  I'm pretty bad out in the shop

-jay

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:35 am »
Danny, if it helps, another trick I learned from a friend of mine who spent some years backpacking (and studied the subject relentlessly) regarding bandages, because although superglue works well to keep it all together, a little extra cushion from abrasion will get you back to real work capacity sooner.

There was some research done many years back looking for the best bandage (durability, speed of healing, etc.) and while the test subjects in the study were being monitored with each of the bandages, being backpackers, one of them thought jokingly to try something usually buried in the backpack - duct tape.

Before you all start laughing, what they learned in this experiment was that the stuff actually works better (faster healing time and a neater/cleaner healed up wound) than most of the commercial bandages, and at least is comparable to the best.  Their best guesses (without doing a chemical analysis) suggested something in the composition of the glue was a big factor.  Even better was that it was cheap, flexible, durable, wouldn't come off unexpectedly, and was always readily available.

From my own experience, black electrical tape works too, but doesn't heal up as quick/nice as the duct tape, but it is better about not pulling body hair out painfully because it only sticks to itself.  Just remember to not bind the wound overly tight with the tape to keep the blood flowing and change out the tape at least every other day or so.

Heal up quick and remember next time to unplug the drill if it is corded, or drop the battery if it is cordless before servicing.  :)

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:09 am »
Ouch!

Is there a reason you are not going to have a doctor look at it? I'd be worried that I drilled out a piece of tendon or bone or something useful. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:55 am »
Thanks guys...

Ouch!

Is there a reason you are not going to have a doctor look at it? I'd be worried that I drilled out a piece of tendon or bone or something useful.

If it would have torn a vein or any nerves then I would have. All feels fine in all the fingers. It will be alright. It is just slowing me down a bit.

I actually do a lot of things with both hands. All racket sports like ping pong, tennis, and racket ball can be played with either hand.

I'll be fine in a few more days.