Buying a Car or SUV after 10 years and have no idea now?

this_is_vv

Re: Buying a Car or SUV after 10 years and have no idea now?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:32 am »
Buy the car where you are going. not where you have been.
Unless you WANT to drive it across the country!! (I have the feeling driving cross country after NOT having a car for years would be a real bummer.)
Fly, and buy the car out West.
Also the car you bought back East, may be totally out  of place in the West. Plenty of cars fill the 'comfortable' but some may not fit in.
Rent a car for a month when you get there. then you have time to shop around...
yes Q5 is beautiful.....audi has looks...
company pays to move...my pocket no expense....

V

KKM

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:19 pm »
If you're close to moving to SoCal then I would wait until I get there to purchase. When I moved, the car carrier damaged my car, which I didn't notice until much later.

In california, the gas prices are usually higher then the rest of the country, so in the long run, you might consider mpg when purchasing a car. I got the Lexus hybrid CT200h and love how the car handles. It doesn't have a lot of power but drives very sporty, the CVT can be noisy when pushed, but I mainly got it because of the the mpg, getting about 46 mpg. It's the same drive train as the Prius but that's the only similarity. If you are looking for a bigger car, check out the Lexus higher end hybrid model. Lexus has the best reliability accrding to JD Powers recent survey. You might want to check out the April issue of Consumer Reports if you want a broader perpective on all the car brands and models tested. With 50k there are a lot of choices, personally, I go for the brands that have the best reliability. Good luck in your research, spend a little more time upfront in research so that you can spend less time in the shop.

BobRex

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:29 pm »
been interested in the Q5 for a while but has a concern about it's reliability. my weekend/toy car is a Cayenne GTS, daily driver is a very reliable Rav4.. we will be evaluating candidates sometime soon and the Q5 & X3 are very high on my list, holding back for Macan..

I used to drive an A6, so when it was time to replace it I looked hard at a Q5.  Compared it to the GLK and X3 and between the three the X3 won.  It just "felt" right.  And their maintenance program (4 years coverage) is only bettered by Volvo (5 years coverage.)

My wife now prefers the higher view and seating of the X3 (she drives an S60 T5), so maybe I'll give the X to her and get a Macan for myself when the time comes.

this_is_vv

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm »
I will just add this place for my certain driving experience i am getting...

Mercedes C300 : absolutely no go....too much bums coming on ody, the drive was not smooth....the car was good but there was no love...test drive 2 miles

Mercedes ML300 : Beautiful drive...amazing power...lots of space... Cons :$$$$......test drive 2 miles

Nissan Altima 2013 S: I cant belive this car, seats are really great..power is less but the ride was smooth no bumps on body...gas mileage is gorgeous...need better audio equipment...just drove 240 miles and tank is only 1/3 gone....High contender....this is rental...

Audio A4 2.0 T: Smooht ride...gear moving was smooth...turns the car gripped great....car where you feel comortable

BMW 328 i : This makes you getip and drive the car out...you want to get up and drive this car...power speed handling is just amazong so far....even at 4 cylider the acceleration takes your breath out...

More too come as to write my experience...

V
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm by this_is_vv »

this_is_vv

« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:11 pm »
If you're close to moving to SoCal then I would wait until I get there to purchase. When I moved, the car carrier damaged my car, which I didn't notice until much later.

In california, the gas prices are usually higher then the rest of the country, so in the long run, you might consider mpg when purchasing a car. I got the Lexus hybrid CT200h and love how the car handles. It doesn't have a lot of power but drives very sporty, the CVT can be noisy when pushed, but I mainly got it because of the the mpg, getting about 46 mpg. It's the same drive train as the Prius but that's the only similarity. If you are looking for a bigger car, check out the Lexus higher end hybrid model. Lexus has the best reliability accrding to JD Powers recent survey. You might want to check out the April issue of Consumer Reports if you want a broader perpective on all the car brands and models tested. With 50k there are a lot of choices, personally, I go for the brands that have the best reliability. Good luck in your research, spend a little more time upfront in research so that you can spend less time in the shop.

KKM,

thats a good point it can damage in moving,.....never thought that through....

well this give me some mroe time to research and everything...

V

this_is_vv

« Reply #25 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:12 pm »
I used to drive an A6, so when it was time to replace it I looked hard at a Q5.  Compared it to the GLK and X3 and between the three the X3 won.  It just "felt" right.  And their maintenance program (4 years coverage) is only bettered by Volvo (5 years coverage.)

My wife now prefers the higher view and seating of the X3 (she drives an S60 T5), so maybe I'll give the X to her and get a Macan for myself when the time comes.

A6is a sweet drive long time ago i sat on that was beautiful.......

V

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:16 pm »
After my dad retired he'd drive peoples' car across the country for fun, and they didn't have to trust a moving company.  He'd get a free vacation, the owners would pay his expenses and return air fare.  And he got a week or so away from my mother............ :|

this_is_vv

« Reply #27 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:40 pm »
After my dad retired he'd drive peoples' car across the country for fun, and they didn't have to trust a moving company.  He'd get a free vacation, the owners would pay his expenses and return air fare.  And he got a week or so away from my mother............ :|

not a bad idea...

V

orientalexpress

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2013, 05:29 pm »
I love my Lexus,even tho is 15 year old and 175k and The most reliable car i ever own. :thumb:

Sparky14

« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2013, 06:17 pm »
At that budget, I'd go above my usual SUV recommendation (Honda Pilot) and get the Acura SUV. More refined and fun than the best Pilot.

this_is_vv

« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:32 pm »
So far it is 328i 2013 model...trying to get some access to dealer auction site.....heard some auction reduces lot of prices....

able to get access to maheim auction...anyone bought anythingt from them before...

V
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013, 09:11 pm by this_is_vv »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #31 on: 3 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »
My father has owned a foreign car repair shop for about 35 years now.  My uncles (his brothers) have owned a used car lot/garage together for about 30 years now (time flies!).  Here's what they've collectively repeatedly said...

Buy used, especially certified used; a lot of certified used cars have a better warranty than new, and someone else took that initial depreciation hit.

The worst cars on the road - VW/Audi and Subaru.  Audis are great looking, comfortable and great driving.  Get to about $75k miles, and that's when your mechanic has your car more than you do, and it's pretty expensive too.

Honda and Toyota (Acura and Lexus as well) are the best reliability to maintenance cost cars.  Very little goes wrong, parts are cheap.

BMW has had a better track record over the last decade or so than Mercedes.  Had to go wrong with either though.   Both are very expensive to maintain.

BMW's V8 is too high maintenance.  Buy a 6.

Overall, the best value for money is Volvo.  Great ride and performance, highly reliable, parts are less than the Germans but more than the Japanese cars.

I've driven a ton of cars that they've had.  If you're thinking BMW/Mercedes money, you should make it a point to check out the Volvo S80.  I'd say S60, but I think it's very ugly.

My Volvo 850 T5 had 270k miles on it when I gave it to my brother.  It could've easily gone another 275k miles if a drunk driver didn't total it (luckily it was parked and my brother wasn't driving it). 

this_is_vv

« Reply #32 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:03 am »
My father has owned a foreign car repair shop for about 35 years now.  My uncles (his brothers) have owned a used car lot/garage together for about 30 years now (time flies!).  Here's what they've collectively repeatedly said...

Buy used, especially certified used; a lot of certified used cars have a better warranty than new, and someone else took that initial depreciation hit.

The worst cars on the road - VW/Audi and Subaru.  Audis are great looking, comfortable and great driving.  Get to about $75k miles, and that's when your mechanic has your car more than you do, and it's pretty expensive too.

Honda and Toyota (Acura and Lexus as well) are the best reliability to maintenance cost cars.  Very little goes wrong, parts are cheap.

BMW has had a better track record over the last decade or so than Mercedes.  Had to go wrong with either though.   Both are very expensive to maintain.

BMW's V8 is too high maintenance.  Buy a 6.

Overall, the best value for money is Volvo.  Great ride and performance, highly reliable, parts are less than the Germans but more than the Japanese cars.

I've driven a ton of cars that they've had.  If you're thinking BMW/Mercedes money, you should make it a point to check out the Volvo S80.  I'd say S60, but I think it's very ugly.

My Volvo 850 T5 had 270k miles on it when I gave it to my brother.  It could've easily gone another 275k miles if a drunk driver didn't total it (luckily it was parked and my brother wasn't driving it).

thanks i am getting a similar car as this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TL-3-2-CLEAN-CARFAX-NAVIGATION-Power-Moonroof-Backup-Camera-4D-Sedan-FWD-/330892464638?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d0aba51fe#ht_23074wt_1167

only drievn 21 K miles for 14K the guy is my friend and he has no ise now...this weekend i should be buying it...

V

Stu Pitt

« Reply #33 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:12 am »
Sorry I forgot to mention...

Nissan is just as good as Toyota and Honda.  They're a bit risky used, as for some odd reason Nissan owners beat up their cars more than the other two.

My uncles refuse to sell VW, Audi, Subaru and Toyota.  They've been burned way too many times with VWs, Audis and Subarus, having to repair them after they've sold them.  They've lost too much money consistently, as they don't just sell someone a car and wash their hands of it immediately.  Toyota is notoriously way too low of a markup to make it worth their time.

My father despises the American cars, but my uncles say they've gotten a lot better recently.  Still not nearly as good long-term as Toyota Honda et al.

I just helped my father change the timing belt on my Toyota Highlander.  More like handed him tools while he swore at the car and me for buying it for 2 days.  It took about 8 hours total.  Buy a car with a timing chain.  When I was living 150 miles away, the dealer quoted me $1200 to change it.

Just some food for thought. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #34 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:14 am »
thanks i am getting a similar car as this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TL-3-2-CLEAN-CARFAX-NAVIGATION-Power-Moonroof-Backup-Camera-4D-Sedan-FWD-/330892464638?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d0aba51fe#ht_23074wt_1167

only drievn 21 K miles for 14K the guy is my friend and he has no ise now...this weekend i should be buying it...

V

I love the TL.  If you know the guy took care of it well, should be a no-brainer if you like it and the price is right. 

this_is_vv

« Reply #35 on: 3 Apr 2013, 03:43 am »
I love the TL.  If you know the guy took care of it well, should be a no-brainer if you like it and the price is right.

Price seems to be right i worked with the guy ...one of the guys who come all preparred to work you know where the things he keeps....well he is very methodical ...

trust him...will do a pre sale inspection from acura and give him check there...

KKM

« Reply #36 on: 3 Apr 2013, 06:05 am »
Stu,

You are spot on with the comment on Volvo, still have my 1993 850 going on 20 years at 208 k miles without any problems, pretty much routine DIY maintenance. My other car is a '12 Lexus hybrid, hoping the reliability mirrors the Volvo.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #37 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:08 pm »
Stu,

You are spot on with the comment on Volvo, still have my 1993 850 going on 20 years at 208 k miles without any problems, pretty much routine DIY maintenance. My other car is a '12 Lexus hybrid, hoping the reliability mirrors the Volvo.

I really regret getting rid of my 850.  My wife was pregnant with our first child, so we wanted to get an SUV to have more space for when we visited traveled.  It was either get rid of the 850 or my wife's Corolla.  Somehow it made sense to get rid of the 850 at the time.  If we had to do it over again, we'd definitely keep the 850. The Corolla is a great car and we've had zero problems with, but it's no 850.

Before the 850, I had a Volvo 740 Turbo.  That was actually a better car IMO.  The 850 T5 was newer, nicer and more comfortable, but on the highway at normal speed, the 740 would easily beat the 850 if you had to stomp on the gas pedal to pass.

Both had about the same mileage when I got rid of them.  Neither one had a single dent, visible scratch or spec of rust on them.  People were amazed when I told them how many miles either car had.

When it comes time to replace the Corolla, it'll be another Volvo.  Sucks that they discontinued the S40 in the US.  The S60 just doesn't look right to me.  Hopefully I can find an S80 at the right price, but that's not for a while anyway. 

friens3

« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2013, 04:23 am »
IF you are in SoCal, don't drive a sedan, the roads are so bumpy that I sold my 330ci for an FJ Cruiser SUV

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2013, 06:39 pm »
Most American and Japanese vehicles are well put together now, so your most important move might be finding a quality dealer.  Which is why you should buy the car where you will be living, not where you are from.
European makes (ESPECIALLY ITALIAN*) often require more frequent service than Americans are accustomed to, and that service usually is pricey.

*I have owned a Fiat and two Alfa Romeos. I know whereof I speak.