Buying a Car or SUV after 10 years and have no idea now?

this_is_vv

So,

living in NYC has a perk of not buying the car and last car i bought was in 2003 and i got rid of it at around 2007...now i need to buy a car i am hopefull moving so i am looking for SUV now...i test drove Mercedes C class and the space and the shockers werent something i liked...

loved the ML350 have driven lot of ford edge those are ncie too....i would be mostly in Southern california now so rear wheel only drive is fine..

rest looking for some advice...some help if some one know some dealers etc...point me to direction...dont want to spend too much dont want to spend too less...love the Mercedes Ml350 was amazing...just shouting out loud...\

V

avta

Re: Buying a Car or SUV after 10 years and have no idea now?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:58 pm »
We've had a Honda Odyssey for about 10 yrs. Very comfortable and reliable.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:02 pm »
Size of family (if any?), hauling requirements, budget?  Driving style?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:16 pm »
Over the years I'd had many SUVs, Jeep, Jimmy, Yukon, Mercedes ML-320, Acura MDX, 2007 Honda CR-V and now 2012 Honda CR-V.  I'd agree with the last post about hauling requirements and driving style.  I'm driving lots (at least temporarily until a move early next year) and really like the comfort, storage and gas mileage of the CR-V.  Yes, it is a 4 cylinder and has just 185HP so it does not have the pick-up I had with the  MDX or ML-320 but takes regular gas and on highway driving when it is 65MPH or below I'll get over 30MPG.  Mercedes, if you intend to keep it out-of-warranty can be a repair cost issue.  My (Mercedes) sales guy told me the average repair bill out-of-warranty is $3.5k (and that was several years ago).  European vehicles tend to cost more to repair vs. American or Japanese.

this_is_vv

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:12 pm »
Size of family (if any?), hauling requirements, budget?  Driving style?

just couple right now....no hauling ...budget under 50k max....enjoy power but more about the Relax style...

V

this_is_vv

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:14 pm »
Over the years I'd had many SUVs, Jeep, Jimmy, Yukon, Mercedes ML-320, Acura MDX, 2007 Honda CR-V and now 2012 Honda CR-V.  I'd agree with the last post about hauling requirements and driving style.  I'm driving lots (at least temporarily until a move early next year) and really like the comfort, storage and gas mileage of the CR-V.  Yes, it is a 4 cylinder and has just 185HP so it does not have the pick-up I had with the  MDX or ML-320 but takes regular gas and on highway driving when it is 65MPH or below I'll get over 30MPG.  Mercedes, if you intend to keep it out-of-warranty can be a repair cost issue.  My (Mercedes) sales guy told me the average repair bill out-of-warranty is $3.5k (and that was several years ago).  European vehicles tend to cost more to repair vs. American or Japanese.

i like the merceded drive...i should check CRV...

V

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:44 pm »
 :D  the CRV is cool,, but if you can, go up just a notch to the Pilot,, good milage and more room.. the 6 banger cuts 3 cylinders on the highway .. :D

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:09 pm »

My fav was my Mazda Tribute.  Tons of room, great ride, and gas mileage.  Unfortunatey, lost it in super storm Sandy.   :cry:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:59 pm »
I'd say if you really liked the ML350............then get an ML350!  Preferably a Certified Pre-Owned one so that you don't have to eat so much of the depreciation and still have a decent warranty / maintenance plan.  Have bought some BMW's that way & the factory extended warranty + maintenance plan really paid out. 

If you must get new, I've noticed my credit union (USAA) get's members $2K off Mercedes ML models and has a car buying service to assist members.  Perhaps if you have or are eligible for USAA or your credit union / bank has something similar, it would be worth looking in to.  Usually I'd be skeptical of these things, but unless your particularly good at haggling or have the time to do so, you're probably not going to be that far off.  Luxury vehicles have greater margins than the run of the mill econoboxes, but not that great of margins. 

Best of luck to you.  I've been in an ML350 about two years back, and it's a sweet ride.

this_is_vv

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:34 pm »
I'd say if you really liked the ML350............then get an ML350!  Preferably a Certified Pre-Owned one so that you don't have to eat so much of the depreciation and still have a decent warranty / maintenance plan.  Have bought some BMW's that way & the factory extended warranty + maintenance plan really paid out. 

If you must get new, I've noticed my credit union (USAA) get's members $2K off Mercedes ML models and has a car buying service to assist members.  Perhaps if you have or are eligible for USAA or your credit union / bank has something similar, it would be worth looking in to.  Usually I'd be skeptical of these things, but unless your particularly good at haggling or have the time to do so, you're probably not going to be that far off.  Luxury vehicles have greater margins than the run of the mill econoboxes, but not that great of margins. 

Best of luck to you.  I've been in an ML350 about two years back, and it's a sweet ride.

yes i work in a company and it has same thing with mercedes but with only new cars only...no CPO....it is a sweet ride though...but wondering spending 45k is worth it...if ic an get another SUV for 25k....20K can be spend on MUSIC :D

V

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:49 pm »
yes i work in a company and it has same thing with mercedes but with only new cars only...no CPO....it is a sweet ride though...but wondering spending 45k is worth it...if ic an get another SUV for 25k....20K can be spend on MUSIC :D

V

If it were me, that's what I would do.  I.e. I'd get a 3-4 yr ol CPO ML350 / ML320 diesel or even ML550 & save the $20K+ for A/V gear and music.  You'll likely get a lot more use / enjoyment from the AV gear / music - and if the gear is bought second hand, also won't suffer the wrath of depreciation.  At least that's what I've done and haven't regretted it, even if I am a bit of a gearhead. 

this_is_vv

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2013, 09:52 pm »
If it were me, that's what I would do.  I.e. I'd get a 3-4 yr ol CPO ML350 / ML320 diesel or even ML550 & save the $20K+ for A/V gear and music.  You'll likely get a lot more use / enjoyment from the AV gear / music - and if the gear is bought second hand, also won't suffer the wrath of depreciation.  At least that's what I've done and haven't regretted it, even if I am a bit of a gearhead.

For audio i have been doing the same...bought and sold tons of audio...now coming to level where i think i will enjoy my Active 3 way AE,Scan and RAAL powered by NC400 a lot...

this car thing i have so far no idea and more i read and read more i get confused....honestly still in confused stage....hopefully renting  a Ford edge this week and lets see...how will it drive this weekend...

V

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm »
Cars are so much better than ten years ago.  Engineering and workmanship are much improved.  Guess that applies to SUV's.  My daughter has a two year old Chev Malibu.  Damn thing is flawless.  I'm still driving a 10 year old Mazda 5 speed 5 door hatchback.  Like it like it was my best friend.  Just wish it had a 6th forward gear.

rpf

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2013, 11:10 pm »
I agree with the recommendations to buy a 2-3 year old pre-owned certified vehicle. Most brand cars last a long time now so it pays to save the upfront depreciation.

I like my '04 BMW X3 (5 spd. auto) but the milage is poor. The brand new X1 (8 spd. auto) isn't much smaller and - with the 250 hp twin turbo 4 (which is more hp than my X3) - gets 23 mpg city and 34 highway. About $35 to 40k.

this_is_vv

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:50 am »
anyone know good dealer near NYC are or near southern California area

V

Bemopti123

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:45 am »
My third car in the US.  A 2 year old Subaru Outback Limited Edition with 4 cyclinders 2011.  Rides high.  Rides like a tank on any of the truly bad roads of NYC, quite economical in the HWY...about 34 miles per gallon, about 20 in the city.  It has the pep and torque that I have never ever experienced before.  Perhaps it is the full AWD.  It is amazingly grippy.  Makes my Honda Accord 2001 feel cheap.  I agree, car have improved exponentially in quality and craftsmanship in the past decade.  Fuel efficiency is something to consider.  There is a 6 cylinder version...hungrier and obviously more powerful.  I was more than satisfied with the 4 cylinder....but power does corrupt.  I have not been corrupted. 

neekomax

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:48 am »
My 2 cents... Lease or CPO Audi A6 or Q5 (if you prefer SUV body style). Why?

-Build quality
-interior comfort, design, fit, and finish.
-good performance to efficiency ratio (especially the turbo 4 in the Q5)
-Good looks (personal taste, obviously)
-Stock sound systems are AWESOME - come on, we are audio guys, right?

*disclaimer- no affiliation with Audi, just drove them for six years, now have a VW, and boy do I miss the quality.

Dimfer

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:01 am »
My 2 cents... Lease or CPO Audi A6 or Q5 (if you prefer SUV body style). Why?

-Build quality
-interior comfort, design, fit, and finish.
-good performance to efficiency ratio (especially the turbo 4 in the Q5)
-Good looks (personal taste, obviously)
-Stock sound systems are AWESOME - come on, we are audio guys, right?

*disclaimer- no affiliation with Audi, just drove them for six years, now have a VW, and boy do I miss the quality.

been interested in the Q5 for a while but has a concern about it's reliability. my weekend/toy car is a Cayenne GTS, daily driver is a very reliable Rav4.. we will be evaluating candidates sometime soon and the Q5 & X3 are very high on my list, holding back for Macan..

neekomax

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:05 am »
been interested in the Q5 for a while but has a concern about it's reliability. my weekend/toy car is a Cayenne GTS, daily driver is a very reliable Rav4.. we will be evaluating candidates sometime soon and the Q5 & X3 are very high on my list, holding back for Macan..

Six years, about 75,000 miles, nary the slightest issue with either car. Can't vouch for long term reliability, though. I don't keep cars that long.

Cayenne GTS, you're not f'ing around!  :lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:52 am »
Buy the car where you are going. not where you have been.
Unless you WANT to drive it across the country!! (I have the feeling driving cross country after NOT having a car for years would be a real bummer.)
Fly, and buy the car out West.
Also the car you bought back East, may be totally out  of place in the West. Plenty of cars fill the 'comfortable' but some may not fit in.
Rent a car for a month when you get there. then you have time to shop around...