Setting Up My V1s

SteveRB

Re: Setting Up My V1s
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm »
I am open to options for better speaker placement and toe in recommendations. I realize that very little is ideal with the set-up. There seems to be very little on-line about proper OB speaker placement.

I am hoping Danny will be able to help with adjusting the settings and PEQ for best response. I am not sure if it is best to cut the peaks (50Hz and 85Hz) or boost the nulls (60Hz and 70Hz).

I may be able to get a few room treatments built in the coming weeks: some small tube traps and decent curtains over the window. It would be nice to learn a good procedure for setting the XO and PEQ for any given scenario as the treatment and placement evolves...

thanks again for any advice.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm »
A couple of things.

The first is obvious. Using a first order filter in line with your amp to the upper driver you can soften down that peak a little at 300Hz. This is an inline RCA filter. The in line cap would need to be about a .033uF or .047uF. This will also take away the output that you are getting from that driver below 100Hz.

Then I want you to pull them further out into the room by about 6" at a time and take measurements each time. Then let's see if the dipped area in the 200Hz range and a little lower comes back up. I think it is a wall reflection cancellation.

Some tube traps in the corners behind the speakers will really help too.

The woofers response then can easily be adjusted with the crossover point and gain settings to balance everything out.

Finally you can use the EQ to fine tune.

SteveRB

« Reply #22 on: 5 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm »
Thanks Danny, I will start working on your suggestions. One questions, I am unfamiliar with the "inline RCA filter". Is this an off the shelf product? Do I simply add the cap anywhere before the crossover?

The first is obvious. Using a first order filter in line with your amp to the upper driver you can soften down that peak a little at 300Hz. This is an inline RCA filter. The in line cap would need to be about a .033uF or .047uF. This will also take away the output that you are getting from that driver below 100Hz.

The rest is pretty straightforward. Thanks again,

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2013, 11:47 pm »
Here are the ones Serenity Acoustics is using.

Sonicap Platinum caps and all Cardas connectors.

This one also makes it real easy. You plug this into the back of your amp (one channel). Then run one set of RCA's to your amp plugging it into the input. Then run a set of RCA's from the output (unfiltered) to your servo amps. And your power amp that is driving the upper section gets the lows filtered.

SteveRB

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm »
makes perfect sense, thanks.

However, my current amp is an old integrated amp. I am running the servos off the speaker posts to the high-level input.

I can insert a cap on the speaker feed to the co-axe. Will that give the same result? Do I need a different value of capacitor?

Can the cap go after the crossover before the mid woofer (it would be a little cleaner for me)? 

Thanks again,

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:41 am »
makes perfect sense, thanks.

However, my current amp is an old integrated amp. I am running the servos off the speaker posts to the high-level input.

I can insert a cap on the speaker feed to the co-axe. Will that give the same result? Do I need a different value of capacitor?

Can the cap go after the crossover before the mid woofer (it would be a little cleaner for me)? 

Thanks again,

This only works as in inline RCA filter.

SteveRB

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:42 am »
Thanks for the help Danny.

Ill try your recommendation and re measure.

tasar

« Reply #27 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:45 pm »
The "inline filter" is kind of a "wakeup call" for me. Where I realize the merits of relieving the Amp of LF duty, I was not thinking of the positive attributes this provides in the speaker response realm.
So by the time I source terminals, caps, cryoed wire, and oversized shrink wrap, might as well have someone with such, put these together. Question is, with those having extra preamp outs, why the splitter as shown above, rather than a straight "inline" filter - amp plugin ?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:57 pm »
I use F-Mods with my Super-V's on the coaxial amp inputs.  These are inline caps without the splitter.

You could just use the series connected Sonicap Platinum and RCA connectors to do the same thing. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:31 pm »
If you have two sets of RCA outs on your pre-amp then you don't need the extra RCA out on the filter. It could be just an inline filter.

I have three outputs on my pre-amp and one of them has the inline Platinum filter built in.

The thing I really like about the filter with the by-pass loop is that I use mono-block amps with everything. So I can run one set of RCA cables to this filter and then just a short RCA cable from the by-pass loop on the filter over to the servo amp. This reduces RCA cable lengths.

tasar

« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:36 pm »
Yeah... I do the same only w Bent modules behind the amps right next door to the Vs. So how about throwing a couple straight "inlines" together Danny ? You indicated doing such some time ago....

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:52 pm »
So what would be the best way to implement the filter in the servo amp?
does this filter everything above or below 80 hz?
I take it as filtering out below and letting above pass thru....or am I wrong?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:16 pm »
Yeah... I do the same only w Bent modules behind the amps right next door to the Vs. So how about throwing a couple straight "inlines" together Danny ? You indicated doing such some time ago....

I am currently building the ones that you see for Serenity Acoustics. I can sell you some of those or I can sell you the Sonicap Platinum caps and you can build them yourself.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:17 pm »
So what would be the best way to implement the filter in the servo amp?
does this filter everything above or below 80 hz?
I take it as filtering out below and letting above pass thru....or am I wrong?

Thanks

Don't use the outputs on the servo amp. Those just have a single electrolytic cap in line with them. I really wish they weren't even on the amp.

WC

« Reply #34 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:23 pm »
Don't use the outputs on the servo amp. Those just have a single electrolytic cap in line with them. I really wish they weren't even on the amp.

They don't appear to be on the new 8" amps. You may have got your wish.  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:29 pm »
They don't appear to be on the new 8" amps. You may have got your wish.  :D

That was per my input.  :D

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #36 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:38 pm »

OK....lol, I have an integrated so I have to use the speaker level inputs anyway.

SteveRB

« Reply #37 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:42 pm »
OK....lol, I have an integrated so I have to use the speaker level inputs anyway.

me too.

tasar

« Reply #38 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:44 pm »
I am currently building the ones that you see for Serenity Acoustics. I can sell you some of those or I can sell you the Sonicap Platinum caps and you can build them yourself.

OK......amps are 100k on the input......what's the damage for these splitters(or should we call them "universals") ? You do use cryo wire ? Be a shame not to, with what we pay for ICs these days.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 6 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm »
OK......amps are 100k on the input......what's the damage for these splitters(or should we call them "universals") ? You do use cryo wire ? Be a shame not to, with what we pay for ICs these days.

That ones that I am making for Serenity Acoustics are $90 a piece. The wire is continuous caste Copper.