Setting Up My V1s

SteveRB

Setting Up My V1s
« on: 3 Mar 2013, 05:59 am »
Hello,

I've been enjoying my V1s for a few months now. (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109455.0)

I feel as though most of the burn-in has happened and the V1s are now consistent day-to-day. However, I have recently moved into a new apartment and I have not been able to get comfortable with the sound in the new room. I was hoping to get some guidance on optimum set-up procedures.

The room is roughly 12'x16' with 9' ceilings with stair and hallways on either side. The speakers are centred on the long wall and spaced 8' apart. The speakers are roughly 3' off the rear wall and toed in slightly. I have a large sofa and a large rug on laminate flooring.

My main issues with the sound so far is centre around the lower frequencies. There is a loss of low bass authority, and the low mids are either muddy or thin. I have been constantly adjusting the Servo settings trying to dial in an a sound that is acceptable for all records... no love yet.

I use the high level in on the Servo amps. I have found that using the line in off my pre-amp cuts the top octave from my mains.

Today I got motivated and got out the gear to do some measurements. I placed my testing mic at 1m back and just below the centre of the P-Audio driver to do a series of frequency sweeps. (I am very inexperienced with this, so any tips are appreciated). After a lot of back and forth, here is the best I could get with adjustments to the Servo amps:

RED: Servo - BLUE: P-Audio - BLACK: combined

Servo Settings:

SteveRB

Re: Setting Up My V1s
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:05 am »
BLUE: P-Audio

There seems to be either a large peak at 90Hz or a dip at 140Hz on the P-Audio.

Either way, integrating the Servo has been very difficult. I have so far settled on a low CrossOver point (50Hz). Any higher and the Servos combine with the 90Hz peak and go through the roof.

I can really use a little help smoothing this out. And getting more out of the sharp roll off at 45Hz. Thanks again.

tubesaab

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:17 am »
Have you try and move the speaker a little around,,and then measure again ?
try to measure where you normally sit and listening ..
it looks like that you have high output from 1khz down to 200hz---i think it can make voices to sound thin in top ,and mumble a bit in the low
the dip around 140hz comes maybe from the back off the speaker,,,blend with the front..but this will change if you move the speaker around-
Hope this help a little
best Bjarne 

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2013, 02:42 pm »
Hi Steve,
I am attaching photos of my subamp settings, that is not to say this is where yours should be but they might aid in giving you a starting spot.  I will say that I believe your crossover point of 50 is not as the design intended.  Remember that the coax is crossed in the 200hz area, 50hz is likely much too low for the servos.  When it was all said and done in my room I had two problem spots, too much base in the sub 45hz and down range and a suckout in the 80 hz range, I opted to use the PEQ to fix the suckout and let the bass emphasis below 45hz remain, of course your room will have different issues.  BTW, for reference, my room is 10.5'x12.5'x8' with the speakers on the short wall.

Good luck!
Ed

Damping = Low and 28
Low Pass=Ext12  Rumble Filter =On

From the listening chair

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2013, 03:15 pm »
You do know that to tweak these you have to measure each speaker independently. If you measure them both at the same time then one will cancel out the other or cause a peak in the response and you wind up chasing something that isn't really there. Show us one speaker at a time.

sl_1800

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:16 pm »
I would suggest changing the crossover frequency knob to 100 or above and change the extension filter switch to 20 or 14.  Could you post pics of your room?

SteveRB

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:51 pm »
Thanks guys. I will get some room drawings re test the set up at listening position, one side at a time.

Spending the day out of town though. I should be able to get in another test scenario early in the week.

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2013, 01:49 am »
Here is some basic room info. As you can see i'm not able to move the speakers too much. I do slide the sofa out 6"-12" from time to time.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:10 am »
Is that a window on the wall behind the speakers? Is there anything covering it? (drapes, blinds) Some diffraction in there would be nice.

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:16 am »
It's a window with thick blinds. We cl just moved in and curtains are in the future. Also, the small room to the left has a door and can be closed for tests and listening.

There is also a low credenza under the window, where the amps and record player sit.

Drawing details are still advancing...

sl_1800

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2013, 03:13 am »
That bump you have at 45 Hz is a function of your room size, mine has the same thing.  You can tame that some with the EQ section of the servo amps.  I think it will help if you can put some absorption on the wall behind you and that stair well wall to your right.

SteveRB

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2013, 03:34 am »
Thanks.

I'm mosly concerned about the bump at 90Hz. I'm thinking I can EQ that out while stretching the crossover up to cover the dip at 105Hz.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2013, 03:39 am »
That's a good idea.

SteveRB

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:11 am »
Might take a sick day Wednesday. Get this figured out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:37 pm »
Get some individual left speaker and right speaker measurements and post the upper and lower section responses individually just like you did above. From there we can start tweaking.

SteveRB

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:29 pm »
LEFT CHANNEL:

SteveRB

« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:30 pm »
RIGHT CHANNEL:

SteveRB

« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:31 pm »
BOTH (over lay):

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2013, 08:09 pm »
And how far are they from the wall that is behind them?

SteveRB

« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2013, 08:10 pm »
And how far are they from the wall that is behind them?

3'2" to the front baffle.