Who makes 2 to 8W OTL?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Who makes 2 to 8W OTL?
« on: 1 Mar 2013, 08:38 pm »

Compression tweeter specs above, employed in Emerald Physics' latest and gorgeous CS2P (deleted spec, not applicable to that speaker).  113 dB and 8 to 15 Ohm impedance curve (in operating bandwidth) looks ideal for 2 to 8W OTL.  (2nd choice maybe Nelson Pass DIY.)   

Who makes lower power OTL?  OTL headphone amp candidate (bypass level control and input switch)? 

Thanks! 
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2013, 08:57 pm by James Romeyn »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Who makes 2 to 8W OTL?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2013, 08:42 pm »
See here:

Transcendent Sound

They have a forum as well, where you can ask oodles of questions. Bruce Rozenblit, the designer, is very much of a straight shooter/engineer.

Best,
Anand.

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2013, 09:00 pm »
2x Transcendent Sound (no affiliation).

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2013, 09:07 pm »
I built one of the small Transcendent OTL's years ago, it was excellent but I didn't have the proper speakers for it then. Appears they no longer offer that model, can't recall the name (found it, T16) but it was rated for 15W, actually managed about 8. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 09:13 pm »
I built one of the small Transcendent OTL's years ago, it was excellent but I didn't have the proper speakers for it then. Appears they no longer offer that model, can't recall the name (found it, T16) but it was rated for 15W, actually managed about 8.

He's replaced the T16, now with the Son of Beast, same output power, simpler topology, and in his opinion, more reliable and runs cooler  :thumb: The schematic is in his new book or you can just buy the kit and be done.

Best,
Anand.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm »
$40 per replacement tube for the Son of Beast...tubes not getting cheaper.  Bernanke's "2%" inflation is pure fluff...
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2013, 05:56 am by James Romeyn »

Ericus Rex

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:25 am »
FYI: Bruce said he transitions now to kit-only, clearing Mini Beast (this model IIRC) for only +$50 vs. kit with tubes.  Wow, quite a deal for designer-assembled.     

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2013, 01:43 am »
In the Lampizator site there is this SET and OTL mono power amp with just one 6C33 for 5W:
http://lampizator.eu/AMPLIFIERS/AMP%20story.html

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:57 am »
Cost? 

OTL-wise I still like Ralph Karsten's Atma-Sphere.  What is current msrp for standard (no upgrades) S30?  Does Zybar still have Atma Sphere 60W monos?  Man, on the right load those suckers are insanely good.  My buddy here unison845 builds tubes practically weekly, everything from single digit watts up to 100+ lbs running absolutely deadly voltage.  He says you can't beat Ralph's OTL on the right load. 

How do you justify this purchase?  "Honey, we live in N. Utah with 62" of annual powder.  Certainly the tubes will pay for themselves in saved natural gas after only one winter!"  Man, too bad our house is so killer insulated and Utah has about the lowest natural gas cost in the US.  This sucks!  Should move back to Cali................NOT!   :lol:     

Unison845

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2013, 01:27 am »
Actually for compression driver, use a 45, 2A3 SE amp. It will sound pretty nice, plus it is safer for compression driver, in an OTL, if a tube went south it may take the tweeter diaphragm with it.