When you make multiple CD/album purchases, how will you listen?

funkmonkey

I buy it; I rip it; the CD(s) goes into my truck...  once it's in the truck it gets played a couple/few times (sometimes only once) before it goes back in the house and on the shelf, to be replaced by something new (usually) or something old I want to drive to.  All the ripped stuff is streamed at random, or selected to hear the whole "album" on occasion, during the ever decreasing amount of time I actually get to listen to what I want to listen to...  mostly, my 3 year old gets her way.

cool topic, and interesting to read how everybody listens to/manages their collections.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2013, 03:49 am by funkmonkey »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
May I suggest some reading about "copyright", when was it first invented, what was its original purpose, when was it first adopted in US, by whom and why, and how it got "enhanced" over the years until it got in the current form?

Then I will agree with you that it's "stealing" but not in the direction you've originally though of.

Folks can find all sorts of ways to deny they are stealing.. All the bs in the World is not going to change the fact you are stealing music you have no right to keep after you return the original library disc.
Now if you are only keeping them until you can (soon) buy a legitmate copy.. But it seems you are merely coping them with no intention of ever buying them.

Napalm

Say Elizabeth, did you check what I suggested or did you reply just because you felt the urge?

rif

• Not a cowboy
A heated debate on piracy wasn't my intent for this thread, so can we stop it here before it gets out of hand?  I'm sure there are many other places to take that discussion.

I had hoped for a discussion on how we listen, not how we acquire.

Chazro

That's stealing! It's the reason technologies get straddled with copyright protection.

I have come to adore YouTube - permits me to sample quite extensively before making my purchases (I couldn't care less how it's rated by anybody - I can judge for myself if I hear it, and YouTube makes that simple). What I want to have, I buy. Some of that money makes it to the artist. As someone who once intended to make a living in that arena, I am highly sensitive to what I owe the creator of the art that I enjoy.

Think about it.

I understand it's stealing.  I also understood that my post would probably ruffle some feathers.  I'd never steal from a business or a person (no need to point out the obvious re: how I'm ripping off the artist).  I'm actually a very law-abiding citizen.  I'm just admitting that I do this.  I'd NEVER suggest that any of you indulge in this dispicable behavior!;)

soundbitten1

I usually play new purchases first in their entirety rather than snippets.  Just yesterday I got a good deal on 45 Time-Life cds (50's & 60's music) though that will test that procedure.