What is the best LOOKING audio component you have bought

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: What is the best LOOKING audio component you have bought
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:38 pm »
Hi.
I don't care less how artistic or beautiful an audio looks. I care only how it SOUNDs!
Audio is for the ears. Good or so so looking can't make it sound better or worse.

Unlike food, artistic plate layout can increase one's appetite for sure.

Sorry, no show from me.

c-J
Buzz Killer

cheap-Jack

« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:54 pm »
Hi.
Buzz Killer.

I just want to state the fact applied to my breadboarded one-tube 1-stage RIAA phonostage+passive linestage, which looks horrific, yet sounds terrific, IMO.

I wish I had time to install it properly in a small Hammond equipment box to be presentable!

c-J

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:13 pm »
Yea, I'm just razzin' ya.
I know most of the fellas here are all about the sound quality, but it's just a fun topic, and another excuse for some eye candy.
I'd hate to think people here put "that much" stock in looks.

Bob

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:31 pm »
deleted

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2013, 06:04 pm by opnly bafld »

srb

« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:34 pm »
I'd hate to think people here put "that much" stock in looks.

There's no reason to spend money for veneer on loudspeakers.  Plywood or MDF, they only need a single coat of cheap sealer or paint to prevent them from swelling due to moisture.  The same goes for all of the furniture in the house.

Seriously though, if it's hidden in a closet or behind equipment, I see little need for expensive hardwood enclosed power strips or carbon fiber connector shells.  But if it's on display in a living area, I like a reasonably handsome enclosure if it's not terribly expensive.  I take pride in my DIY work, both functionally and aesthetically.

Steve

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm »
By far, the coolest looking "piece of art" in my main system...

Cheers,
Pete

neekomax

« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm »
I like nice looking stuff, too. But if it sounds great and is a good value, then I'll buy it over a better looking but sonically inferior or too expensive product, and then try and make it look better myself, if possible (hello gloss white paint :lol:)

I don't dare bring up the issue of good looking gear and expectation bias in regard to judging sound quality. That would just be frankly mischievous.

:peek:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #47 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:23 am »
I guess this wouldn't be it...

geowak

« Reply #48 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:27 am »
Now I like this guy's stuff alot...... take your pick.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=414493

neekomax

« Reply #49 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:32 am »

Uh, it doesn't let you see the photos without being a logged in member, which I am not. Care to upload one?

geowak

« Reply #50 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:47 am »
Uh, it doesn't let you see the photos without being a logged in member, which I am not. Care to upload one?

Yeah here..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #51 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:48 am »
That's just one room.
WOW!

geowak

« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:52 am »
Here are some other rooms added above, this guy is a nut. I wish I were HIM!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:00 am »

Cheers,
Pete

They made a matching turntable called the Belvedere.  Way cool stuff!  Too bad they had to change their name from Bluenote to Goldenote.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:52 am »
That guy is awesome.  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #55 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:13 am »
I was doing some cleaning and rearranging of my audio rack this weekend and was again struck by the handsome build quality and logical design of my Aloia amp & preamp. Here are a couple of pics of the inside of the preamp power supply and head unit. Even the interior base plate of the power supply is chrome plated. Signori Aloia put as much care into the aesthetics of these late 90's Italian beauties as the circuit design and sonics.

Reminds me of Counterpoint gear; the first company I'm aware of that cared as much for the internal appearance as the outer.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #56 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:13 am »
This is getting fun, I completely agree that the sound is the most important thing for an audio component, but I am kind of an officionado of good design.  Audio, like good food though sometimes, you taste with your eyes before your mouth.  Some people call it listener bias, but you tend to listen with your eyes, before you hear with your ears  :thumb:

Some of the top eschelon of audio components have not only well designed exteriors, but interiors as wellm those AIOIAs look amazingly well designed with incredible attention to detail.  It is very impressive.

motorcitym3

« Reply #57 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:18 am »
Bolder cable stage 3+ minimax DAC....looks great and sounds even better!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #58 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:23 am »

That guy is insane...but, in a good way. I hope he restores and tinkers with them. That is a hobby. It's nice and orderly – love it! He could make a lot of people really happy someday (not intending to be morose). It's quite a collection. I see some familiar items (I bet lots of us have owned a thing or two in that assortment). One can't help but ask; is there more?

That is a brilliant looking device! It's difficult to tell from that photograph, but is the player suspended from the plinth on the columns, and do those columns provide isolation down towards the feet...? I only ask because it would be really cool for form to follow function in such an aesthetically pleasing (it's interesting) way. It sure looks like that. Either way,  :thumb:

Too bad they had to change their name from Bluenote to Goldenote.

Did the jazz label go all “Monster” on them?

I don't care less how artistic or beautiful an audio looks. I care only how it SOUNDs!
Audio is for the ears. Good or so so looking can't make it sound better or worse.

In defense of the pretty face, don't assume beauty is always skin deep. I don't think anyone of us who has purchased an audio instrument which its designer has endowed with beauty is oblivious to the fact that it adds to the bottom line. Nobody held a gun to my head. Nobody is holding a gun to yours. VAC does the casework, fabrication and finish, in house – they pride themselves on their craftsmanship. What's wrong with that? This thread is meant to be fun and to celebrate the art that can bestowed upon the utilitarian.

There are lots of really beautiful pieces of stereo equipment – from days of yore as well as today. Admit it; when you were a teenager, you visited audio shops to hear, gaze upon, and occasionally fondle gear that you hoped to own some day. I don't mind confessing to such an activity in this circle. I remember when I bought my first Marantz receiver – back when a receiver wasn't frowned upon. I sat and stared at that blue face in the dark as I listened to a very capable piece of electronics work its magic on my consciousness. Through my Ohm C2s, that 2275 transported me into the music quite effectively. I thought it was beautiful. I still do.

My personal favorite has gotta be between MBLs new amplifiers...

One thing that astounded me about the MBL 9011 monoblocs is that after a long day of driving a pair of 101Es to earth shaking levels, I could only find one little area on each amp's case that felt remotely warm. The amp seemed to have endless reserves, but was not just capable of awe inspiring dynamics as no detail was too fine for that system to render. That stuff is mind-bogglingly expensive, but it sure does deliver the goods. I can't deny that I think it looks gorgeous too. :D

---

There are lots of pretty pieces of gear so far; keep those photos coming...
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2013, 01:10 pm by kevin360 »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:40 am »
+1, Kevin!

I want to take issue with the food presentation comment.  Not to be too gross, but as much as I like food I don't see the value of putting extra effort into making food look good.  After all, we know where that food will end up in 12-24 hours, right?  Talk about a transitory value!

At least nice-looking gear can add the the audio mystique for years and years, especially in a well-apointed room, even if the stuff isn't even operating.  Just as my Garrard KT-88 (my first TT) and Victrola do in my audio room as display pieces.

Audio venues, especially in orchestral halls, certainly add to the visual experience.  Why not the gear?