Your LP Wishlist?

Jeff V.

Re: Your LP Wishlist?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:24 pm »
Ok, so i was thinking about what records do i really, REALLY want but can't aquire either because of cost or rarity (and in must cases both). This was all kind of spurred on by Analogue Productions announcement of reissueing Roger Water's Amused to Death which would have made the list easily. Basically, to make the wishlist it has to have been a vinyl edition produced at some time.

My list would have be:

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat (Reissue)
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Pearl Jam - No Code, Yield, Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam

So, what would be on your list?

Joe,

I had no idea the Nick Cave LP was so rare.  When I ventured back into vinyl it was literally the very first LP I purchased.  It has remained a favorite of mine ever since.  Not sure how the cd sounds but the vinyl sounds amazing!  I have LP versions of Let Love In, & The Good Son.  Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus is by far the best sounding by a wide margin.  Highly recommended.

Jeff

joegator81

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:58 pm »
Joe,

I had no idea the Nick Cave LP was so rare.  When I ventured back into vinyl it was literally the very first LP I purchased.  It has remained a favorite of mine ever since.  Not sure how the cd sounds but the vinyl sounds amazing!  I have LP versions of Let Love In, & The Good Son.  Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus is by far the best sounding by a wide margin.  Highly recommended.

Jeff

Hey there Jeff,

The cd is good as far as cd's go, it seems like it was mastered well, bass is a little muddy. I find it heard to judge because my digital front end (oppo bdp 83) is a bit behind in quality than my analog front (clearaudio concept mc / phenomena II). I have heard that the vinyl is amazing and i would love to get a copy but $200 is a bit much. I would love copies of the other two you listed as well, not to mention the Boatmans Call.

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:36 am »
Scott, I've got a man-crush on you right now.  :kiss:
You name the time, and I'll be there. With bells on.

Bob

By the way, if you recall, this is the table you tuned up at Steve K's house a few years back.
Sounded pretty decent on his Maggies.

Like Brick said, WAY too much info  :lol:

Tell you what, it's going to be a couple of weeks at least (more like a month) before I get a free day where we can go through the albums. I'll drop you a PM when I get freed up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:21 pm »
Cool beans. Looking forward to it Scott.
I've got a few that I'll trade with you too.

joegator81

« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2013, 05:12 pm »
Well, i knocked one more off my list. I found a copy of Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat (reissue) for a helluva good price on amazon. I decided to jump on it, hopefully the seller knows what he is doing and it is actually the reissue. Can't wait to compare it to the CD.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2013, 08:15 pm »
This is one that I have that I think it should be on every serious listener's wish list- Listen . . L.A. Jazz Choir (Moblie Fidelity Sound Labs).  Recorded and half-speed mastered by Keith Johnson.  I've owned it for years but only recently discovered how wonderfully it sounds.  Imaging and soundstaging had always been a strong suit, but I only recently discovered it's perfectness.  What happened?  Formerly, I had my Grado tracking at 92 degrees.  The sound was ever so slightly etched in the high end noticable when the choir or soloists are really pushing it.  But, after a discussion in another forum here a couple of months about stylus rake angle (SRA), I began seriously attempting to dial in what sounded to me like an improvement on several recordings I used for the test (this was not one of them).  To these ears with my gear, 90 degrees was an overall improvement.  Things are more natural and fully fleshed out top to bottom.  The sound on this recording is positively sublime now.

Another point of interest about this recording is that it was made in an auditorium with two mikes a good distance from the group and the trio.  There is absolutely no spotlighting.  The sound is so natural its mind-blowing.  Each instrument in the accompaning trio really show the ambience of the place along with the choir.  It just sounds like there was NO sound guy or microphones.  You are there.

It may take some effort to find this, I have not looked for it on the internet.  Best personal wishes.  It's worth it.  Cheers

Scottdazzle

« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2013, 08:50 pm »
There are a lot of cd's I wish were available as LPs.  These come to mind right now:

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
James Blood Ulmer - Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions
Emmylou Harris - Spyboy and Wrecking Ball
Jim Lauderdale - Patchwork River
John Scofield - Quiet
John Hammond - Wicked Grin (songs by Tom Waits)
Oregon - Live at Yoshi's
The Band - Jericho

I could go on, but that's enough for the moment.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 16 Feb 2013, 09:06 pm »
Just wanna add something to my above and in general.  Most recordings, especially those made live or on location, IME, sound their very best at a single volume level and this may differ from one recording to another.  The one above, for example, is best appreciated at a modest level where the group and the setting are one.  Jes sayin, but it's gospel around here.

quietglow

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2013, 01:46 am »
Because I have a bazillion things I would like to buy in general, I treat this question like this: what would you be most stoked to find in a random thrift store stack of records (in unplayed condition of course).

1. Trinity Session -- Cowboy Junkies
2. Pink Moon -- Nick Drake
3. Anything at all by Mojave 3 (or Slowdive)
4. Rumor and Sigh -- Richard Thompson

joegator81

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2013, 06:34 pm »
Because I have a bazillion things I would like to buy in general, I treat this question like this: what would you be most stoked to find in a random thrift store stack of records (in unplayed condition of course).

1. Trinity Session -- Cowboy Junkies
3. Anything at all by Mojave 3 (or Slowdive)
4. Rumor and Sigh -- Richard Thompson

Trinity Session would definitely have to be on my extended list as well... i also wouldnt shrug from getting a well priced copy of springsteen's "The Rising" if i could find one.

BTW, my copy of "Famous Blue Raincoat" from cisco arrived and it is amazing. The cd remaster is one of the best i have too, and though i plan to make a direct comparison soon enough i have a hard time w/ the cd v. lp because of the fact my analog front end is a good bit nicer than the cd. That being said, i got this one for a steal and it was worth every penny.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2013, 06:41 pm »

A great Pink Moon may not show up used anytime soon, but the recent reissue is great. They released the deluxe boxset within the past couple months (pricey and maybe all sold out), but a cheaper edition of the same pressing should be available very shortly.

Details on the reissue:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pink-moon-reissue-box-set-it-worth-60

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/universal-musics-new-pink-moon-lp-will-use-optimal-pressing

And Joe (quietglow), you can come over to hear my boxset copy of this. I got the boxset before I realized that the same pressing was coming out in non-boxset form.

orthobiz

« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm »
Or Roscoe and Joe can come over to MY house and hear the Pink Moon box!

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2013, 08:41 pm »
Or Roscoe and Joe can come over to MY house and hear the Pink Moon box!

Paul

That would also work. Though MI is tougher logistically than walking down one flight of stairs and up another, without having to go outside...

orthobiz

« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:03 am »
I think I'd like all the Fly/Cube Toofa albums. I have The Move "twofer" but I believe they also had T. Rex, Procol Harum and Joe Cocker...I don't really know how many they made.

Paul

staticvar

« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:26 am »
Newbie here, I don't know if i'm in the right spot here but, Here we go...The one recording that has haunted me for not being on vinyl is, "New York Stories"...Blue Note...Various artists...Danny Gatton and the best of the best in the future of jazz in the world as we perceive it...A brilliant recording that
changed my life...I listened to this disc / tape...everyday for six months back in 1994/95...Again, if you listen and don't like it, I'll buy it back...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:47 am »
Trinity Session would definitely have to be on my extended list as well... i also wouldnt shrug from getting a well priced copy of springsteen's "The Rising" if i could find one.

BTW, my copy of "Famous Blue Raincoat" from cisco arrived and it is amazing. The cd remaster is one of the best i have too, and though i plan to make a direct comparison soon enough i have a hard time w/ the cd v. lp because of the fact my analog front end is a good bit nicer than the cd. That being said, i got this one for a steal and it was worth every penny.
I'm thinkin I gots to get me a FBR analog.  Heard one at a friend's house with a boxy room and less than ideal speaker placement.  My next purchase.

joegator81

« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:55 am »
I'm thinkin I gots to get me a FBR analog.  Heard one at a friend's house with a boxy room and less than ideal speaker placement.  My next purchase.

I snagged my copy off amazon for $60 bucks so there are deals to be had. However, it is easily worth the $100 that they go for. The packaging is top notch. The pressings are very nice. And the sound quality is the best part of all. I could not ask for more, when the bass guitar comes in with the drums at the beginning of Joan of Arc.

joegator81

« Reply #37 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:56 am »
BTW, for anyone looking for Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session, there are several affordable copies available at discogs.com.

orientalexpress

« Reply #38 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:04 pm »
The Ventures Golden Greats.  The one with the bikini babe on the cover.  My copy is trashed, but the SQ still comes through.

i got this copy over the weekend,It's sound Great and good music too.Love it  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

lapsan

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:23 pm »
I'll give you $10 for it.    :thumb:   :lol: